Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Only Significant Advance in Kiteboarding in the past Decade is Foilboards.

Forum for kitesurfers
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: The Only Significant Advance in Kiteboarding in the past Decade is Foilboards.

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Saying that hydrofoils are the only significant advancement is like saying, "Henry Ford's Model T production line was the only significant advancement in automotive manufacturing during 1913."

While that may be true, it significantly understates the significance of the event.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Only Significant Advance in Kiteboarding in the past Decade is Foilboards.

Postby Starsky » Tue May 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Well, even apart from the hydrofoil, there have been advances.

Ruben was out there all on his own, maybe Hadlow following with the really big mega loops. A decade later the field has caught up.

Wave riding had Felix and Top hat killing it unhooked in clean Hawaiian waves. Now guys get barreled at Teahupoo, kite jaws when its firing, and pull strapless forwards on the regular in gnarly west coast surf. Strapless freestyle has reached truly super hero levels where it wasn't even a around a decade ago.

The only thing that hasn't really evolved is twin tip riding. Freestyle is no more interesting than it was back during the Hadlow era. Park style has a few more venues, but Auto Focus is still the best that branch has produced. The truly massive and now long since retired camel toe slider at Real is at least a decade old. Toby is still selling his DVD. How many years old is that? Yet no brand is marketing or producing a micro loop, and airstyle has yet to have any impact on the competition/spectator scene.

Really, the thread title should read, "The only thing that hasn't significantly advanced in kiteboarding in the past decade are twin tippers".

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Tue May 02, 2017 3:01 pm

In the past decade the really change is the new kiter.... :D :D in the past when i finish my session i was watching people doing tricks ...now most of the people go up and down ..so boring..hydrofoil nice change most people can go up down in less than 10knts.. :D

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Tue May 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Starsky wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 2:54 pm
Really, the thread title should read, "The only thing that hasn't significantly advanced in kiteboarding in the past decade are twin tippers".
Agreed.

North recently published a video on the evolution of strapless kitesurfing where the pros talk about the progress that has been made.
Hydrofoiling has really been picking up over the past few years.

Twintip riding, well... Pretty much the same

Ecoastprock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Pavones, County Park, North End, 28.5 & Moletrees
Style: Surf
Gear: Slingshot Globetrotter 4 10
5 8 Libtech Waterboard
5 8 Coil Industries
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ecoastprock » Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 pm

I think the most significant change has been the increase in number of kiters. 5 years ago it was solo sessions every session or maybe 1-2 other kites tops on the very best days. Now there are 5-10 kites on a good NE with waves or SW session in the summer. Foils are still relatively rare at my local spot.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 02, 2017 6:20 pm

Lokihel wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 5:36 pm
Twintip riding, well... Pretty much the same
For the majority yes, but not for everyone.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue May 02, 2017 6:37 pm

I think really the only reason foilboards are so popular now is so all the old fart, ex-windsurfers can have a van full of shit again....

:wink:
(Flame suit zipped)

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue May 02, 2017 6:55 pm

The hydrofoil is a big change. Its like a can opener that has opened up a huge can of awesome that has fizzed all over and sprayed nearly all other aspects of my life.
:thumb: Do you write for living Starsky?

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Tue May 02, 2017 7:10 pm

I totally agree with OP, pretty much everything since around 2006 has evolved slowly, no leaps and bounds like the Waroo. Foils were around back then, but they were ridiculous with snowboard boots fastened on to them. I think the improvement in foils is the next best thing after the high depower LEIs. I don't think that safety systems or hard harnesses are that big of a deal.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Safeties are better. some of those old qrs froze under load. center push away single line flagging better. inserts spacings were standardized. more harnesses use short leash and front or side attachment. not sure want you want revolutions every year? it's been over 100 years since the electric car was first produced and it's still not reliable because of lack of range. 10 years is a very short time

Return to “Kitesurfing”