Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Best glue to fix leaky values

Postby Bletti » Sat May 06, 2017 10:55 am

20170506_174515-1.jpg
Hi,

I have a Switch Element v4 9m that has recently had a couple values start to delaminate. There is a ripple in the bladder where the delaminations happened making me think that the bladder wasn't perfectly flat when they were stuck on. I'd like to temporarily (or if lucky maybe permanently) fix the delaminations by sealing them with glue. Which glue would work best?

I have some sikaflex 291 and some generic rubber cement.

Cheers

Edit:
SOLVED Switch are quickly sending replacement valves but the consensus seams to be that aquaseal is the best glue to use.
Last edited by Bletti on Sun May 07, 2017 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best glue to fix leaky values

Postby andylc » Sat May 06, 2017 11:58 am

Stormsure or Aquasure glue is what you need.

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Sat May 06, 2017 2:59 pm

If you've had a couple go , more than likely the rest are gonna go soon as well.
Have you inspected the other ones?

Every glue I've tried so far has only worked for a few sessions , at the most. Most reliable solution I've seen is to replace the valve.

If someone knows the trick to getting it to stick permanently with glue , please let the rest of us know , any time I've used glue it starts peeling off pretty quick.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Sat May 06, 2017 3:16 pm

I would use either 3m 5200 fast cure (red) or aquaseal. But the best thing to do is pull the valve entirely off. Pull off the entire valve, then clean with rubbing alcohol and lightly sand (for better adhesion) then use the 5200 or aquaseal to glue find some kind of cylinder to put on top of the valve and add a weight on the cylinder. That's a complete valve restick and is more reliable than just gluing on top of the valve where the air comes out on a failed valve. A good restick will work for the life of the kite. I have old valve resticks that are 7 years old now.

It's nice to do a complete restick on all the valves because as mentioned above once one goes the rest are probably ready but I never do that I just wait until they fail and make sure to pinch all my struts.

Do NOT use any glue like rubber cement or a glue designed for vinyl they will melt the polyurethane. You want either 5200 or aquaseal or some other glue like that. I've never tried stormsure but it might be good.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
juandesooka (Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:15 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Bletti
Frequent Poster

Postby Bletti » Sat May 06, 2017 3:51 pm

JaZone wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 2:59 pm
If you've had a couple go , more than likely the rest are gonna go soon as well.

Every glue I've tried so far has only worked for a few sessions , at the most. Most reliable solution I've seen is to replace the valve.

If someone knows the trick to getting it to stick permanently with glue , please let the rest of us know , any time I've used glue it starts peeling off pretty quick.
The other ones aren't leaking but I'll take a closer look. The valves aren't really pealing as 98% of the valve is firmly attached and the kite is only a year and a bit old. The only weak points are where the bladder is loose and rippled underneath the valves as if they were placed down and attached with a crease, which caused the failures. You can kind of see in the photo that even with me pressing the bladder is buckled. I'm awaiting a reply and replacement from switch. To me it's a pretty clear warranty issue, but I'd still like to get out in the interim even if the glue doesn't last permanently.

What draws me to sikaflex or 3m for this application vs aquaseal is that it will act more like a calk to plug the imperfect Ridge and tubular hole rather than need to tear off the valve and get a flat seal.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Sat May 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Since the bladder leaks, the "tubular hole" goes all the way to the interior of the bladder. So you'll need to be careful not to use so much glue that it leaks into the interior and causes your bladder to seal together.

That is another advantage of edt's approach. If you pull off the entire valve, you can more easily prevent glue from getting inside the bladder. I use a small piece of tissue paper to cover the bladder opening from inside the bladder. Once the glue is dry, you can remove the tissue through a valve opening.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Has thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Sat May 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Bletti wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 3:51 pm
JaZone wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 2:59 pm

The other ones aren't leaking but I'll take a closer look. The valves aren't really pealing as 98% of the valve is firmly attached and the kite is only a year and a bit old. The only weak points are where the bladder is loose and rippled underneath the valves as if they were placed down and attached with a crease, which caused the failures. You can kind of see in the photo that even with me pressing the bladder is buckled. I'm awaiting a reply and replacement from switch. To me it's a pretty clear warranty issue, but I'd still like to get out in the interim even if the glue doesn't last permanently.

What draws me to sikaflex or 3m for this application vs aquaseal is that it will act more like a calk to plug the imperfect Ridge and tubular hole rather than need to tear off the valve and get a flat seal.
What edt said. If one is leaking the rest are going to go soon as well. The factory uses a heat activated glue to stick them on, so sitting in a hot car or even sitting out in the sun at the beach can significantly weaken them. Don't bother trying to fill the hole, just take out the bladder, use a hair dryer to warm up the valves and pull them all off, and fix it properly. Use Aquaseal, I haven't tried other glues, but Aquaseal has NEVER failed on me. Put a piece of cooking parchment in the bladder to keep from gluing the two sides together. Put Aquaseal on the valve AND the bladder and wait for it to skin over. Stick it on and weight it. I use the dumbbell weights that go on a 1" bar, they work perfectly. I just leave the parchment in the bladder, it doesn't affect anything at all and isn't worth the trouble of fishing it out.

@JaZone You're definitely doing something wrong with your glue jobs if they fail. Follow my instructions above and your valves will outlast the rest of the kite.

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Sat May 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for the advice , I will try it that way next time and see if I get better results.

I usually clean the area with alcohol , sand lightly , and apply the glue and stick the valve to it and leave it to dry. It would usually hold for a little while, but not long enough to call it a permanent repair.

Bletti
Frequent Poster

Postby Bletti » Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 am

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Switch is sending me a few replacement stick on valves so I shouldn't need to glue the old ones down. Should be back flying again by the end of the week. I was pleasantly surprised that it only took them 5 hours on a Saturday to get back and dispatch the replacements!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Sun May 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Good to hear, Bletti. New stick-ons will be better than glue, and it's good to know that Switch is responsive. Customer service is king and, in this case, just takes a little time & attention! Good for Switch (and you). :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”