Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

slingshot oh shit handles

Forum for kitesurfers
kas911
Frequent Poster
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:44 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby kas911 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 pm
I snapped a front line on my RPM and it started to do slow death loops on the water in 30+ knots. I went to punch the safety and realised the broken line was my flag out line.

I had a few hundred metres before I reached land, and the "death loop" video came to mind while I was wondering what I was going to do, so I grabbed one O Shit Handle (rear steering line) and pulled hard. Took all the power out of the kite and I just walked the line to the kite.
What didnt you just release??

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6742
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 139 times

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby Kamikuza » Thu May 11, 2017 10:40 am

kas911 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 am
bigtone667 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 pm
I snapped a front line on my RPM and it started to do slow death loops on the water in 30+ knots. I went to punch the safety and realised the broken line was my flag out line.

I had a few hundred metres before I reached land, and the "death loop" video came to mind while I was wondering what I was going to do, so I grabbed one O Shit Handle (rear steering line) and pulled hard. Took all the power out of the kite and I just walked the line to the kite.
What didnt you just release??
Cos if you've got the time to assess the situation, releasing right away isn't always the best option.

User avatar
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby Bille » Thu May 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 10:40 am
...
Cos if you've got the time to assess the situation, releasing right away isn't always the best option.
If you already got the adrenaline kicking , and the situational awareness is making
stuff look like it's going in Slow-Mo --- then YEA , go ahead and assess a bit ;

BUT if your behind the ball-game, (can't see more than one exit) ; then get rid of
that Damn kite --------------(NOW) !

Bille

BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3768
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:37 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby BWD » Thu May 11, 2017 3:09 pm

What didnt you just release??
It's always the last resort, for when you're f***'d.
With O shit handles, you have options.
Lose the kite, you lose:
visibility
Flotation
Chance to eventually sort it out and relunch
Self rescue

And make problems - kite and lines drifting around are a hazard to:
other kiters
boats
people in surf
People in shore
wild life
etc.
Plus maybe trash kite or lose forever...

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6050
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 201 times

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby edt » Thu May 11, 2017 3:13 pm

bigtone667 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 pm
I had a few hundred metres before I reached land, and the "death loop" video came to mind while I was wondering what I was going to do, so I grabbed one O Shit Handle (rear steering line) and pulled hard. Took all the power out of the kite and I just walked the line to the kite.
This particular situation you weren't really using the oh shit handle, you could have simply done a full release and pulled the rear line. Same difference. The oh shit handle is there for when you can't pull in a line and want to retain the kite short of a full release.

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2464
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Duotone Fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 224 times

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby iriejohn » Thu May 11, 2017 8:13 pm

edt wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 3:13 pm
bigtone667 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 pm
I had a few hundred metres before I reached land, and the "death loop" video came to mind while I was wondering what I was going to do, so I grabbed one O Shit Handle (rear steering line) and pulled hard. Took all the power out of the kite and I just walked the line to the kite.
This particular situation you weren't really using the oh shit handle, you could have simply done a full release and pulled the rear line. Same difference. The oh shit handle is there for when you can't pull in a line and want to retain the kite short of a full release.
edt wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:53 pm
oh shit handles are a last resort to save your kite. I personally don't like them much.
Evidently not so don't use them.

Other people do.
Last edited by iriejohn on Thu May 11, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3768
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:37 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby BWD » Thu May 11, 2017 8:20 pm

if it's blowing hard
or your kite's too big
or your kite is looping badly
and you're eager to keep your fingers attached,
it's better to grab a handle than a 1.8mm kite line.
Sometimes (most of the times) just an arm's length of leader won't do it.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:24 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5,6m, Duotone 7m
Boards: Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/110/130 Fanatic Sky Wing 5'8" & 5'4"
Foils: AXIS 1300/1150/1020 Foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby bigtone667 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:23 pm

kas911 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 am
bigtone667 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 pm
I snapped a front line on my RPM and it started to do slow death loops on the water in 30+ knots. I went to punch the safety and realised the broken line was my flag out line.

I had a few hundred metres before I reached land, and the "death loop" video came to mind while I was wondering what I was going to do, so I grabbed one O Shit Handle (rear steering line) and pulled hard. Took all the power out of the kite and I just walked the line to the kite.
What didnt you just release??
It was my flag out line that had snapped, so pulling pin meant losing the kite. I had a minute to assess the situation and I did.

Don't get me wrong, there are numerous times when I have pulled the pin. I just try and give it two seconds thought before I do it.

stenner
Medium Poster
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:12 pm
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby stenner » Fri May 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Some compelling arguments both pro and con.
What I'm hearing is they're useful if your front flagging line breaks, you can possibly not completely release the kite if you unhook or punch out and grab an OS handle at the same time. Is this fair/correct?

User avatar
vkngktr
Medium Poster
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:05 am
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby vkngktr » Fri May 12, 2017 5:38 pm

stenner wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:07 pm
Some compelling arguments both pro and con.
What I'm hearing is they're useful if your front flagging line breaks, you can possibly not completely release the kite if you unhook or punch out and grab an OS handle at the same time. Is this fair/correct?
Yes you are correct. I don't understand why people would NOT want them even if you think you may never use them. They give another option when in an emergency situation. If you see no use for them perhaps you should learn the history of them. They used to be the only way to flag out. If you have the wherewithal you can also leash to the OSR. They add no complexity to the bar and having them certainly doesn't decrease safety.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 66 guests