slingshot oh shit handles

Forum for kitesurfers
stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: slingshot oh shit handles

Postby stenner » Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 pm

I think it comes down to ones risk tolerance and how much redundancy is desired. For instance, why not carry two hook knives in case one is fumbled away in an emergency? To wear a helmet or not, or to wear a flotation vest or not, to carry a cell phone or not. The list goes on...Do you consider yourself unsafe or jeopardizing others because you don't wear a helmet? The question is where does it stop? I do think it's somewhat telling that only Slingshot and perhaps Epic have them, I don't think we'd call the other brands unsafe or reckless for not having OS loops. After considering this topic I do think there is a sound argument for not having them. The increased likelihood of tangling a line on them or hesitating to punch out because there's another option to consider are high on the list. Sometimes less is more. Also, please show me where Slingshot offers an explanation on their proper and intended use, not saying it doesn't exist but I haven't come across it. Interesting debate.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri May 12, 2017 6:10 pm

From reading this and from a Slingshot bar user, I can see actually that it's a pointless addition unless you don't trust your QR.

I have used it a few times when I was a storm and ready to get rid of the lot...

Interesting that I should have relied on the built in safety!

15+ years in the game and learning still!

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Fri May 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Given the choice of having them or not having them I'll take them any day. I sometimes run older bars and punch out with them occassionally when the wind dies whilefoiling. This is in calm conditions, where I have the means of transferring my leash to one before pulling the handle. I do this because the bar doesn't have true front line flagging. it might be a different story in 7m twintip conditions. I also like that they usually come on bars like the Slingshot that pack up small because the floats aren't integrated into the bar. I prefer this too, because there are more easily replaceable parts and I can see easily what's going on with my leader lines inside the floats.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0

Postby zig zag » Fri May 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Ocean Rodeo used to have them on the older 'Ergo' bar... sure came in handy when I snapped the connection ring from the trim line to flying lines... twice.... kite was well behaved and fell trailing edge down while I assessed what had happened. then disconnected the trim line and chicken loop while pulling in the steering line from the o shit handle. got to kite and self rescued no problem other than a jumble of lines to deal with. then an easy fix and out on the water the next day.

ripper tom
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby ripper tom » Sun May 14, 2017 12:47 pm

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Wed May 17, 2017 4:50 am

Yes he's a famous pro with mad skills but his bar looks functional and safe even though it's been stripped down.

kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North

Postby kitenight11 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:20 pm

Finally Slingshot got rid of the OS-handles on their new sentry bar. Any ideas why?
For those guys who also got rid of their handles on the older bars; How did you attache the backlines to the ring on top of the floater and did it work properly?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:38 am

Undo leader loop from SS ring with oh shit loop on it. Remove the funny metal elongated loop from leader coming from bar floats. I bent em to get the line off. Reattach leaders loop to loop.

kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North

Postby kitenight11 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:47 am

Thanks, have you done so and was there no wear and tear because the floater ring seems pretty sharp!
By the way, has anybody got rid of the black power ball on slingy bars? It comes only with the guardian bars. And what was the effect?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:06 pm

Have done a couple SS bars and it can be challenging to get that funny sharp edged grommet out of the lunar end leader but have managed to do it without damaging the leader. Either get something (not sharp) under the line and lever it off or like I said, bend the grommet with pliers in some way to get it off.

I seem to remember one or two of them being a bit challenging.

Return to “Kitesurfing”