Current info for Dakhla

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Current info for Dakhla

Postby shawn13 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:39 am

Thinking about trips in June. Mauritius for one week and dakhla for another week as it looks to be in windy season. From my research, the two places that come up are Dakhla Spirit and Dakhla Attitude.

Anyone have current or recent information about these places? Which one is better to stay, beach access, food etc. Prices are not a concern.

Thanks in advance.

-Shawn

Eckhardt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden, wijk aan zee
Style: Big air and rookie waverider
Gear: Ozone edge 11 and 8
Bandit S 9m

Re: Current info for Dakhla

Postby Eckhardt » Mon May 15, 2017 11:47 am

Cool I had exactly the same plan for this summer. I will follow this topic with interest!

aTi
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby aTi » Mon May 15, 2017 3:33 pm

if prices are not a concern, Ocean Vagabond could be your best choice: not as big as Attitude, top food unlike Spirit which got a bad reputation lately due to a change in management.
If you prefer to stick to your original choice: Attitude is where they used to go for the pkra/wkl, nice facilities, but you have to know that this one is huge (plus it's not really in the lagoon like the other camps, so I find the place less "typical", also the shore is, depending on the tide, more "mud" than sand there).

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:03 am

Thanks. i have not checked out ocean V but i will. reviews online complained of spirit from management changes as well.

What do you mean Attitude is huge? As in size or popularity?

aTi
Rare Poster

Postby aTi » Tue May 16, 2017 11:02 am

in size! from one point of the camp to the other, it might take you something like 10 min by foot for instance
even though it's also quite popular.

burstmybladder
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South coast, UK
Gear: Switch Nitro, Shinn Monk

Postby burstmybladder » Tue May 16, 2017 11:36 am

In terms of location on the lagoon there isn't much in it. Spirit is closer to the airport, but it is marginally easier to get to the speed spot from Attitude as you are closer, they have a cable park there which is pretty cool. There is probably a bit better shelter at Attitude from the wind when you are not kiting as you are protected by a massive dune. Good bar, pool table etc as well. I stayed at attitude a couple of years ago and the staff were amazingly friendly and the food was incredible. Would go back in a heartbeat.
I stayed in the Windhunter camp which was a five minute walk from the bar, but away from any noise. Basic, but clean and well maintained.
I went in early June for nine days. It blew every day all day. Generally I was on my 7 or 9. I did use my 12, but only once or twice. On the water for six or seven hours a day. Absolutely destroyed my abs:-)

Make sure you do the downwinder to the white dunes. It's an awesome trip. PM me if you want any more info.

gomi
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha SB 12m, FX 9m
Shinn Monk 135x44

Postby gomi » Wed May 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Is it possible to stay in dakhla town and kite from there? are there any spots close to the town? Is renting a car necessary in that case?
Seems like it would be still cheaper if someone is coming for a month or two and you have a bigger choice of accommodation and restaurants. The camps are very expensive compared to maroccan hotels and flats.

Has anyone stayed in the town and can share their experience?

burstmybladder
Rare Poster

Postby burstmybladder » Thu May 18, 2017 6:25 pm

gomi wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:44 pm
Is it possible to stay in dakhla town and kite from there? are there any spots close to the town? Is renting a car necessary in that case?
Seems like it would be still cheaper if someone is coming for a month or two and you have a bigger choice of accommodation and restaurants. The camps are very expensive compared to maroccan hotels and flats.

Has anyone stayed in the town and can share their experience?
I didn't stay in the town but there are hotels so it would be fairly easy to find somewhere to rent in Dakhla town. I think its about 30-35k from the airport/town to where the kiting happens on the lagoon. That being said the road runs through a spit of land that has water on both sides. Waves on the ocean side, flatter water on the lagoon side. There's a wave spot on the ocean side between the airport and the lagoon so I don't see why you couldn't kite from any accessible beaches, giving the airport a wide berth of course.

gomi
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha SB 12m, FX 9m
Shinn Monk 135x44

Postby gomi » Thu May 18, 2017 8:28 pm

burstmybladder wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:25 pm
I didn't stay in the town but there are hotels so it would be fairly easy to find somewhere to rent in Dakhla town. I think its about 30-35k from the airport/town to where the kiting happens on the lagoon. That being said the road runs through a spit of land that has water on both sides. Waves on the ocean side, flatter water on the lagoon side. There's a wave spot on the ocean side between the airport and the lagoon so I don't see why you couldn't kite from any accessible beaches, giving the airport a wide berth of course.
great. thank for the info.
so it's possible to kite in the lagoon next to the city?
on the maps it looks ok but I'm surprised there are no reports from people staying in the town and no spots marked on the lagoon next to town.
I'll definitely write one if I go :)

burstmybladder
Rare Poster

Postby burstmybladder » Fri May 19, 2017 9:29 pm

[/quote]
great. thank for the info.
so it's possible to kite in the lagoon next to the city?

[/quote]

Not sure. Its pretty close to the airport so I would imagine that there would be restrictions in place?

Return to “Kitesurfing”