Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surf style fins for Shinnster (tt mounting)

Forum for kitesurfers
Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Surf style fins for Shinnster (tt mounting)

Postby Bletti » Thu May 25, 2017 11:34 am

I'm looking for a larger set of surf fins to use on my shinnster. I'd like to try it with larger fins that don't slide so much. Anyone know where I can get some 3+ inch fins that mount with 2 countersunk tt style bolts?

xoen
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels, Mar bella, Riumar
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed Lotus 15m. 2013 Cabrinha Switchblades 7,9,12 m/ Shinnster/Cabrinha Tronic/Sroka Hydrofoil

Re: Surf style fins for Shinnster(tt mounting)

Postby xoen » Thu May 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Bletti wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 11:34 am
I'm looking for a larger set of surf fins to use on my shinnster. I'd like to try it with larger fins that don't slide so much. Anyone know where I can get some 3+ inch fins that mount with 2 countersunk tt style bolts?
Hello,

Check http://slovakfin.com/

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu May 25, 2017 1:35 pm

slovakfin? The color selection is nice, but the price is double or triple the going rate. Easy enough to find wakesurf fins that will probably do, but beware not all are foiled properly. Or pay the premium... If you have a drill press you could also find solid glass or g10 surf fins and drill and tap them for m5 screws but i wouldn't go over 80mm or so height or durability could be a problem if you run aground.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu May 25, 2017 7:18 pm

BWD wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:35 pm
slovakfin? The color selection is nice, but the price is double or triple the going rate. Easy enough to find wakesurf fins that will probably do, but beware not all are foiled properly. Or pay the premium... If you have a drill press you could also find solid glass or g10 surf fins and drill and tap them for m5 screws but i wouldn't go over 80mm or so height or durability could be a problem if you run aground.
Where are you finding TT fins for 4-6 euros?

Seems rad they have so much selection for TT fins

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Re: Surf style fins for Shinnster (tt mounting)

Postby Slappysan » Thu May 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Seems reasonable for G10 fins to me.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 am

Bletti wrote:
I'm looking for a larger set of surf fins to use on my shinnster. I'd like to try it with larger fins that don't slide so much.
The stock Shinnster fins don't really slide so much.
The board will certainly slide a bit when you want it to, but when you dig in a little it grips a lot.
Anyway, wakesurfer fin packs on EBay might do the trick.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue May 30, 2017 1:46 pm

Unfortunately I haven't seen good deals lately. So maybe I should have said "twice the reasonable price" instead. 20 euro for a 3" fin seems high. Have found better in the past. I would look at surf supply houses for solid glass-on fins - typically $10 - and tap them for screws. G10 or solid glass doesn't matter too much usually in kiting with this size fin. Stiff and durable does the trick.
I guess if I only needed 2 of them I might pay 20 per but it's kind of a rip off.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Wed May 31, 2017 12:41 am

L0KI wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 am
Bletti wrote:
I'm looking for a larger set of surf fins to use on my shinnster. I'd like to try it with larger fins that don't slide so much.
The stock Shinnster fins don't really slide so much.
The board will certainly slide a bit when you want it to, but when you dig in a little it grips a lot.
Anyway, wakesurfer fin packs on EBay might do the trick.
The shinnster has adequate grip messing around in chop and in waist high waves, but once it gets much above that the fins simply don't compare to a conventional surfboard or vanguard and I can't ride with as much confidence. Normally I'd switch to my vanguard or other surf board in bigger conditions, but I've already made my shinnster into a convertible foil board with a removable plate mount, so it would be nice to get a bit more surf performance to travel with a single board.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yes, the fins aren't cheap. I'll be back in Canada this summer and I might try some Ocean Rodeo Mako fins when I'm back as they are about the same price.

Return to “Kitesurfing”