Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Introducing BbTalkin - Waterproof Communication Device

Forum for kitesurfers
gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Re: Introducing BbTalkin - Waterproof Communication Device

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Thanks. Hopefully I can sort things out with them, as it looks like a great product.

--
Gunnar

dancingwind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: All over.
Favorite Beaches: Every beach is a good beach.
Style: Free/Wake style
Gear: Cabrinha SB/FX
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby dancingwind » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:38 pm

We've been using Bb talkin in our school as well for the first time last winter season. Unfortunately, many instructors and students reported communication issues. Basically, the range is very weak, right about 100 to 200 meters. We would also hear lots of interference such as back to back echoes/noise at close and long distance communication. The premise is good, I like not having to hold the radio and talking to it, it frees up the other hand which is very helpful. The whole set up is compact and waterproof, as long as you seal/tighten everything properly. And the Bluetooth devices are super light and well-built. Instructor to student communication is extremely crucial to the student's proper progression. But we need a trustworthy device that will effectively transmit the communication to the student every time. Unfortunately, Bb talkin is not at that level yet.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Well that is a bummer... Was hoping it would work well.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:40 am

Maybe if you are both on the water riding and can stay closer? For lessons mostly, probably not for shooting pics?

wazzaah
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Terschelling
Style: Wave
Gear: F-One
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurfschool Terschelling, Kitestart.nl
Has thanked: 0

Postby wazzaah » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:44 pm

We have been using bb talkin now for a couple of months now and it works great if you know the downsides of bluetooth. So the range isn't unlimited but with a master/main combination i kept contact up to 6/700 meters, i didn't go any further. A main/main combi indeed might have a range of 1500m. Question is do you really want your students at 1500m away from you?

So as an instructor you should wear your unit on ur head also, or stay on the beach so you are on a higher location than your students. This is important when teaching bodydragging, as soon as they are getting on the board there are hardly any disconnections.

If you loose contact, dus restart the unit(s) and they will reconnect, so no pairing up process again in the water.

Every instructor here is gonna get his own set next year and the students are really making more progress and wouldn't want any lessons without them. I found that a lot of dads/mothers also have an eye on the system for there younger children, they can keep in contact with their kids on the water while they are on the shore or on the water also.

Got ours at www.bb-talkin.eu

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:27 am

make this in small sizes, lightweight for 6-10yo and you have a winner for father son sessions!

wazzaah
Medium Poster

Postby wazzaah » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 pm

No need to make it smaller as long as your son/daughter has a helmet that fits, you can place the earpads inside with buttons or a couple of tyerips and your ready for some father/son sessions.

mrbig
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Cape Town
Gear: Cabrinha mostly

Postby mrbig » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 am

wazzaah wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:44 pm
We have been using bb talkin now for a couple of months now and it works great if you know the downsides of bluetooth. So the range isn't unlimited but with a master/main combination i kept contact up to 6/700 meters, i didn't go any further. A main/main combi indeed might have a range of 1500m. Question is do you really want your students at 1500m away from you?

So as an instructor you should wear your unit on ur head also, or stay on the beach so you are on a higher location than your students. This is important when teaching bodydragging, as soon as they are getting on the board there are hardly any disconnections.

If you loose contact, dus restart the unit(s) and they will reconnect, so no pairing up process again in the water.

Every instructor here is gonna get his own set next year and the students are really making more progress and wouldn't want any lessons without them. I found that a lot of dads/mothers also have an eye on the system for there younger children, they can keep in contact with their kids on the water while they are on the shore or on the water also.

Got ours at www.bb-talkin.eu
My experience is similar to the above. Firstly, I ordered the units via our local agent (South Africa) and shipping was free - received in good time.
I dont teach - my wife's progression has been incredibly slow and I was hoping using 2-way communication would remove some psychological hurdles and help her confidence. We spent 3 weeks in Mauritius recently and it was a great tool from that perspective! What was especially useful was that I could constantly update her on what was going on around her and which way was safe. Beginners suffer from terrible tunnelvision and on a 'beginners beach' there's constant chaos.

My experience was that you definitely need a clear line of sight between the 2 units for optimal performance. Even your head being between the units will affect the range. If you can be slightly elevated from your student it works great. Typically someone who body-drags or is beginning with water-starts will be bobbing low in the water and placement of the unit is critical. I found the range to be more than adequate for my 'teaching' purposes and could easily get over 500m away if both units were elevated. I never had a problem with having to re-pair or re-connect. You can hear the interference when starting to go near out-of-range or when there is not a clear line of sight and I used it as a cue to move closer or even turn the head to improve to line of sight. It usually offered plenty of warning of range before cutting out. I found that as soon as the units moved closer the connection was restored automatically.
I guess it depends on the conditions where you teach how well the units will perform for you. These units will truly come into their own when you kite alongside a student for more advanced teaching.
Battery life was good for the way we used it (never more than 3 hours a day) and charging was quick. You could even charge from a powerpack if you have to during the day.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:19 am

they will attend Surf Expo in Orlando this year...all info here: http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2397240

wazzaah
Medium Poster

Postby wazzaah » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:21 am

BB Talkin (europe) has 20% discount on some packages:

http://www.bb-talkin.eu/black-friday-deals/