batu
Rare Poster
Gear: 9m waroo, 14 m contra
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kiteboarding santa barbara

Postby batu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi all, I just moved to Santa Barbara, CA and am hoping to find any local knowledge about kiting in the area. There have been a few posts here in the past about kiteboarding in SB, and it sounds like Ledbetter/East beach can be a decent bet when there are winds. Unfortunately it looks like the one kite shop in town shut down a few years ago.... In either case, it would be great to know if there is an active local community and whether they communicate about conditions or ride together for more fun/safety. Thanks!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: kiteboarding santa barbara

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:55 pm

I lived in Santa Barbara for a year back in 1983 and I was into windsurfing and crewed on racing boats. I think I had like 5 sessions in winds more than 20 knots. Wind is super light. I'd get a foil or take up SUP.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:12 pm

It's a bit of a drive but 2 hours North there is a decent kite community in Pismo Beach.

Looks like Oxnard gets a decent thermal for 14m kites too, and Mailbu is another decent option.

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:02 am

When I was there a few years ago (before the foil craze) 4 guys were out on 10m in super light wind, all on foils. I was amazed.. The wind is light and so you will want a foil.

bobgatpdx
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ledbetter CA
Gear: OR Mako, LF Solo

Postby bobgatpdx » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:51 am

Come down to Ledbetter on any breezy afternoon - the local kite crew is always there. Kite launch is just to the left of Shoreline Cafe. Weather is a bit foggy right now, but once the fog ends, the afternoon thermals are very dependable in SB. Many folks foiling - typically on 8m to 10m kites. I'm still learning to foil, so I'm using 12m or 15m and surfboard. Also some twintip folks too. Can get crowded on weekends. Ledbetter is not a great beginner spot - go down to East Beach for that. Much more room to get washed downwind and fewer crowds. As other folks have mentioned, you can go 30min south to C-Street Ventura for more waves, or 90min north to Pismo Beach for windier and wilder conditions. It's all good! If the wind isn't blowing, you can surf or SUP at one of the nearby breaks.
- Bob

batu
Rare Poster
Gear: 9m waroo, 14 m contra

Postby batu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Hi Bob and others, thanks for the info. I'll give ledbetter and east beach a try. The afternoon thermals have seemed pretty strong recently. Do you guys use the buoy mainly to check whether conditions?

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:34 pm

The SB crew is great, always friendly and stoked out, though I haven't figured how they can afford living in SB and getting out to kite so much...

They are all way into foiling, and rightfully so because the wind can be light at Ledbetter. Last time I was there they were all riding the groundswell up by the point with shorter foil masts and lower AR wings. Just go introduce yourself and usually they'll make sure you don't look like a kook. The wind on the beach can be gusty/lully if it's too North and it makes it sketchy getting out and in sometimes. Over at east beach it seems less of a problem without the bluff right there, but I haven't seen anyone kiting down there personally. It seems like Ledbetter is the gathering spot. C-street is usually more dependable and often stronger, but I don't dig the launch and access as much. There isn't really a more chilled out accessible launch that I have found than ledbetter. (launch your kite 50' from your car, showers, good vibes, and pleasant people watching) sorry locals for advertising your spot, but I'm a fan.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:01 am

I'm going to a wedding in Dana Point, Southern California next week (August). We are spending 2 weeks and visiting San Diego, San Clemente, and Santa Barbara.

Is it worth taking my 12m Flysurfer Speed 3 and my Moses Onda Hydrofoil? The forecast looks like only 6 to 8knots every day. I really need at least 9 knots for my kite as it's not the very lightest so I'm wondering whether if often gets to 10knots in August to be able to hydrofoil?

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:51 am

i'd check ikitesurf right before you leave...

and make sure you bring a proper wetsuit.
...i was *surprised* how cold that californian waters were (even in socal)
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
dave1986 (Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:37 pm

elguapo wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:51 am
i'd check ikitesurf right before you leave...

and make sure you bring a proper wetsuit.
...i was *surprised* how cold that californian waters were (even in socal)
Thanks. I Googled the water temperature in Socal last night and apparently it's 20°C which is warm for a Brit like me! But perhaps I'll bring the 3mm short wetsuit just in case!

Is ikitesurf forecast generally more accurate than Windfinder for this area?

Return to “Kitesurfing”