Local Beach: Fire Island, New York
Gear: Best Kahoona 13.5m, 11.5m, 9.5m - Slingshot Turbine 17m - Pansh A15 18m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best bankrupt?

Postby Jamie-NYC » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:39 pm

TomW wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:41 pm
Seems to me that when a company fails, it's the responsibility of many people in the company, not only the CEO
It would provide useful context for this statement if you read the linked stories from earlier in the thread. Best is now failing/failed because the owner of the company is being prosecuted for serious fraud, apparently using Action Sports to funnel money out of other failing ventures. This situation is almost certainly a problem of a single person, not a company. However, the background business environment for the company was not particularly good - their costs were almost certainly out of line with their revenue. Poor business decisions were undoubtedly made - dating back even to prior ownership/leadership. But those poor decisions also likely came from the top, and almost certainly were not made by those Best alums launching ElevEight. It is also very likely true that Best alums will have gained some insight from witnessing firsthand the destructiveness of unwise business decisions. That experience should serve them - and their future customers - well.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:14 pm

sq225917,

Your history, knowledge, and experience exceeded mine 10fold in kiteboarding. I find it difficult to criticize your take on what is happening and the happenings that lead up to it. And I empathize with your situation as I have been in the position of having a paycheck bounce on me. But I must correct you on some things.

“Do we think the customer service rep decided to flip customers off because he didn't like them and he liked being shouted at on the phone?” - Yes I do. It was my first experience with Best customer support back in 2011 where I received a veiled threat to be sued for slander on a public forum. This was recanted when I confronted B. Scall about it in a roundabout way. I am SURE that he did not receive top down orders to threaten me. That was most assuredly his idea or at least his “voice” of customer service. I have had many other Best customer service incidences like this one, with only one example being a positive experience. I also had many other customer service issues with Best leading up to the latest of where I was simply asking for bridal measurements on a kite that was behaving badly. I am sure the rep in that case simply decided to stop correspondence with me, instead of just giving me a simple measurement to verify.

"Do we think the bar designer decided that customers with defective bars would not get the spare part because he wanted everyone who bought something he designed to hate him?" - Not only were the stopper balls on the 2010-2011 CL releases not chamfered (mfg defect in skipped machining step), the release system was of a faulty design. On the 2010-2012 CL design, a piece of plastic was put into a situation where normal load would cause elongation, and that elongation resulted in a critical tolerance issue. This made the CL release without activation and eventually led to the CL not staying loaded even with light loads. No engineer should keep his job after putting plastic in a position of elongation when that elongation would cause critical tolerances to become out of specification resulting in a complete failure of the safety device. Plastic is never put into a position (by a real engineer) where deformation (in this case elongation) would cause critical tolerances to be exceeded. This is simply the nature of plastics as a material. If the Best CL release system of 2010-2012 was on a system that killed to a single front line, the issue would not have been as severe. But on a release of the back lines to both fronts, no control of the kite’s position could be maintained unless the CL could be again reloaded. The engineer should have been fired and all of those releases recalled. The recall should have taken place, at latest, early 2012. To this date, these releases are still out there causing many “swim in” and unintentionally released kites to “rake” the beach.

“Do we think the warehouse guy decided that he'd not send spare parts out when instructed to do so by customer service and warranty?” – No, it had nothing to do with a wharehouse guy. That person was most likely completely innocent in the mix with no control, no influence, and not even any say, in the workings of the company. Unless he was also a team rider, in which case, his position of team rider should have seen him sounding the alarm that this practice was not right.

“Do we think that the head of customer service/marketing decided that they'd like to destroy the brand's reputation by not serving customers because it would be profitable?” – Straight up quit! If you are given a job that you are not allowed to do, and you keep taking money for doing it? Well, there is no flaw in the human race that seems to slide by with a saying more infamous than “I was ordered to do it.”

“Or do we think some asshat at the very top of the tree made a financial decision to wind back on the expense of customer support either because they couldn't prove a direct statistical links between spare parts funding and increased sales” - Shannon bailed because of this, a long time ago. Eleveight members are getting out of Best just now because you have not received a paycheck.

Again, it is with a heavy heart that I criticize you on these issues. I wish you and Eleveight a fruitful experience and hope you have learned much from the Best experience. Please make an attempt to avoid the above issues in your future endeavors.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Sq, exactly my point. Launch your brand on its own merits, not by bouncing off a failure, seems like a cheap way to get attention. Start a new thread and pay Toby.
If you worked under those conditions, it sucks, and everyone who did should have quit before a melt down.
And you did quit. Kudos.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Well, I can assure you there was no asshats like that working at BEST, when I was there.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:15 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:36 pm
Sq, exactly my point. Launch your brand on its own merits, not by bouncing off a failure, seems like a cheap way to get attention. Start a new thread and pay Toby.
If you worked under those conditions, it sucks, and everyone who did should have quit before a melt down.
And you did quit. Kudos.
I left BEST years ago, and I have nothing to do with Elev8, other than having worked with all the guys.

stru
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: p unit

Postby stru » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:41 pm

Simon is correct in all posts
Problem was to have a "suit and tie" laundry money guy running a kite company as it was a clouthing company .
Best is dead , long live Elev8

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:41 pm

What's the legal situation with Best now with all the stuff going on with Javier?

qbanboy14
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha and crazy fly

Postby qbanboy14 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 am

Bump..

Did any one got their kites on the sale?

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:12 am

qbanboy14 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 am
Bump..

Did any one got their kites on the sale?
^^^^^^^This is not the right question.

I'd rather ask: "How many kites have you got on the deal of lifetime?"

I bet all other companies felt quite a pain this year, when even Switch kites appears to be 2x more expensive than Best. And bars running $80???
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:13 am

I purchased three and received as ordered with the exception that a Roca got replaced by a TS.

Return to “Kitesurfing”