Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

South Africa: Nov - Jan, what kite size?

Forum for kitesurfers
the_dec1der
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 2014
Naish Monarch 2016
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

South Africa: Nov - Jan, what kite size?

Postby the_dec1der » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:53 am

Hey guys,
So I'll be staying ins South Africa - Cape Town for the first time from November til January and obviously want to go kiting there as well. I am an advanced rider and use Cabrinha Switchblade (8m² and 11m²) at the moment. My weight is around 70kg (~155 pounds for US). I was told that wind blows heavy around that time of the year in SA. So I was wondering, am I going to need a smaller kite? Maybe 5m² or 6m²? Oh and I ride TT. Would be grateful for any insights by locals or people who have been there! Also, if you can recommend any spots, that'd be awesome as well.
Cheers

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: South Africa: Nov - Jan, what kite size?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:21 pm

the_dec1der wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:53 am
Hey guys,
So I'll be staying ins South Africa - Cape Town for the first time from November til January and obviously want to go kiting there as well. I am an advanced rider and use Cabrinha Switchblade (8m² and 11m²) at the moment. My weight is around 70kg (~155 pounds for US). I was told that wind blows heavy around that time of the year in SA. So I was wondering, am I going to need a smaller kite? Maybe 5m² or 6m²? Oh and I ride TT. Would be grateful for any insights by locals or people who have been there! Also, if you can recommend any spots, that'd be awesome as well.
Cheers

I have no idea about the size for a TT.

But for average weights 75-80 kg in january on waveboards we have ridden 4-5-6 m2 and occasionally when light wind 7 or 8 m2.
At least the 5 years I have been there late january for a couple of weeks each time.

So my best guess if you ride TT powered is you can get away having a 6 or 7 m2 just fine when windy, for 70 kg :naughty:

December I dont know....

If you are not there for the waves and prefer flat water, you drive up to Langebaan, and you will need your bigger kites the most then :D

8) Peter

Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Postby Hpr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:06 pm

For your weight the 8m would be fine most days, especially earlier in the afternoon. In the late afternoon the wind can pick up a bit and a 6m would certainly work too. You might use an 11 earlier in the day but there is so much wind that time of the year that the 11 would be a waste of space in my opinion.
For a guide of the most popular spots just north of Cape Town see link:
https://www.progression.me/blog/tips-fo ... cape-town/

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Postby North_Wind » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:17 pm

For those months and 70 kgs I would recommend 5 & 7/8m or 6 and 8/9m. If you have the weight allowance your third kite would be 11/12m.

Any other questions let me know.

BA
www.capetownkiteclub.com

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:13 am

Add a 6m and you should be good for all but the most nuking late afternoons, and then it is almost as much fun to watch the local and visiting hotshots as it is to get beaten up, unless you are a hotshot too! Do downwinders, e.g from Sunset Beach to Haakgat. Link up with others on the beaches. Don't self launch if anyone else is around to help you, ask for help, everyone is friendly. There is a cabrinha shop at Big Bay in case you want to stay with them, check their website for second hand kites if interested. Being there that long make a point of visiting other locations. The most popular beside Langebaan for flat water is Witsands, about four hours east of Cape Town, and warm water. Plenty of YouTube videos of both places. And then the Spots menu on this website shows details on many more kiting locations. Tons more info on kiting in Cape Town online, just search and check out the local store websites.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:13 am

I am 76 kg ,went cpt four times with 5 and 6,surfboards.previous years everything was cheap now stuff more expensive than europe.paid used 5 religion 600 euro so take it before is better.
last year they had 15 days continuos strong wind in nov ...a friend over there said impossible keep going out everyday.
I went around one month around feb mar .....first time had no much fun .....wind twice a week but no waves and too many kiter and windsurfers (haakgat)...not sure if will go again ....once counted 30 windsurfers waiting the wave ....no way ....a fight to get one!
another friend two years ago went out twice only in dec so it will be unpredictable but anycase when "cape doctor blows"will kill you...
For myself nothing bigger than 7 but if you will stay 4 month and free kilos it is different,you have much time, everything could be good.
no problem find spot for TT

the_dec1der
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 2014
Naish Monarch 2016

Postby the_dec1der » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 am

Awesome! Thanks for your input. Means and helps a lot. Hope you guys don't mind if I PM you in case I have any follow up questions :)

Peter_Frank wrote: If you are not there for the waves and prefer flat water, you drive up to Langebaan, and you will need your bigger kites the most then :D
Most definitely want to try waves as well. Not that big ones in Germany :D

Hpr wrote: In the late afternoon the wind can pick up a bit and a 6m would certainly work too.
North_Wind wrote: For those months and 70 kgs I would recommend 5 & 7/8m or 6 and 8/9m. If you have the weight allowance your third kite would be 11/12m.
Hugh2 wrote: Add a 6m and you should be good for all but the most nuking late afternoons.
piccio wrote: I am 76 kg ,went cpt four times with 5 and 6
Haha, not a hotshot yet :eybrowe: but leaning towards adding a 6m for the windy sessions

mrbig
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Cape Town
Gear: Airush, Cabrinha

Postby mrbig » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:53 am

As mentioned above adding a 6m to your 8 and 11m should cover all bases. From Dec - Jan the SE is usually pretty strong along the Atlantic Seaboard area. Having that bigger kite might come in handy on those lighter days and other spots though. Apart from Witsand you should check Hermanus Lagoon and Brandvlei Dam (both only 1 hour from CT). It the Southerly or South Wester blows head for Strand beach (30min from Cape Town). Struisbaai beach near Agulhas is incredible as well. Check www.kitespotters.co.za for some details.
I spend most of December around Langebaan and find it a lot quieter than the Big Bay area.

Loxon
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Loxon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:33 pm

the_dec1der wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:53 am
Hey guys,
Cheers
you are in for an epic experience! Cape Town is amazing on all fronts! I would definitely recommend you take a smaller kite, maybe a 6m. and if you are really strapped for baggage space then ditch the 11m, but otherwisetake it. When the SE is forecasted, the wind WILL come in force! SW not reliable, but there are plenty of spots around to suit all styles and tastes.

sent you pm with more details.

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Been thanked: 0

Postby bri7 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:08 pm

If you are there for a few months I would take a smaller kite 5 or 6m. Chances are you'll be there when it's blowing it's nut off and I mean arse clenching should I go out wind. Plus if you get to ride a surf board then a 6m will come in handy for that.

Cabrinha riders are well covered, the Cab shop in Big Bay has tons of stock and spares.

I am there in Nov for my 4th time so hopefully some good wind. There is plenty non kite stuff to do as well

Return to “Kitesurfing”