Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

End of July / beginning of August reco?

Forum for kitesurfers
or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: End of July / beginning of August reco?

Postby or6 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Dirk knows 👍

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Has anyone tried la ventana or baja out on the west coast? Didn't see this on the list of places you've been, and I'm considering it.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:15 am

La ventana is where I taught my wife to kite...but that's 13 years ago😮it was laid-back then. Wind reliable, spot mostly for beginners and intermediates freeriders and freestylers of all levels.

Don't know what it's like now.

Seabreezekiteclub
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Aceh, Indonesia and Siargao, Philippines
Favorite Beaches: Aceh, Indonesia and Siargao, Philippines
Style: wave
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Seabreezekiteclub » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:18 am

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:54 am

Wrong time of year for baja/La Ventana. It works from November to March with the El Norte winds. You might try the other side of baja at Solo Sports. They have a setup right at the launch but pretty rustic and side-off winds but a fine wave.

marysia
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brooklyn
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco Brazil; Langebaan Sharks Bay Cape Town; Prasonisi Greece; Boca Grandi Aruba; Cape Hatteras USA
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, SU-2 Kitebird_CL

Postby marysia » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Dirk wrote: You do not need a car if you stay in El Medano. Playa Sur is the spot. You can rent rooms or apartments on the beachfront or still in walking distance.
As I wrote in another thread, El Medano looks a bit shabby but has its charms with a relaxed vibe, lots of local inhabitants and less tourists, surfers, hippies and nice, casual restaurants and bars.
Tenerife has some great landscape on the North side and up the Teide mountain, so it is worthwhile to rent car. Car rental is very cheap, I think the cheapest in the whole of Europe. Santa Cruz town center is also quite nice. Like with all of the Canary Islands there are quite a lot of places ruined by mass tourism but you can avoid that.
Thanks Dirk! Seriously considering it now. I just googled Taganana on the N side on Tenerife, really dramatic landscapes.

marysia
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco Brazil; Langebaan Sharks Bay Cape Town; Prasonisi Greece; Boca Grandi Aruba; Cape Hatteras USA

Postby marysia » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:08 pm

or6 wrote: It's a 10 minutes drive from the airport to el Médano. Take a shuttle. In Médano, everything can easily be done on foot. You only need a car to go sightseeing around the island.

The beach is in El Médano, playa sur is where you launch. Playa la tejita Is only with the (in summer) very rare westerlies.

From playa sur you kite upwind to el muelle ( Pier), decente beginner wavespot, which can actually get pretty gnarly sometimes. Even further upwind is el cabezo, where professional windsurfers train.

Best places to stay...from the plaza central at playa chica until playa sur. From the central plaza it's like 5 min. Maybe 10 on the way back after a hard day kiting 😉
Thanks or6! Checking the flights now

or6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby or6 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:46 pm

My pleasure. Enjoy!

TracyS
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Cabarete!
Style: freestyle, directional, foil
Gear: 2018 Cabrinha FX 8 and 10 m
Brand Affiliation: Dare2fly Kiteboarding School

Postby TracyS » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 am

Just putting it out there...I live in Cabarete and love it here. It was my dream to go to Brazil for years. I went. It as NOT my thing.

marysia
Rare Poster

Postby marysia » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:17 pm

TracyS wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 am
Just putting it out there...I live in Cabarete and love it here. It was my dream to go to Brazil for years. I went. It as NOT my thing.
Where in Brazil did you go? I went twice (Cumbuco and NW from Cumbuco) and so far it's my favorite destination. The wind is so consistent

Return to “Kitesurfing”