Medium Poster
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Best.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boots: Any safety tips?

Postby wind chaser » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Anyone have a kitemare riding boots? What are some tips to avoid and how to get out of a bad situation while in boots?

Safest way to land/launch?
Unhooking, leash type?

Thanks for any tips, issues or bad experiences should look out for.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / freeride / wave
Gear: Best & Axis

Re: Boots: Any safety tips?

Postby Frank82 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:53 pm

Always keep your legs up when you crash after a boost so you don't catch an edge. For freestyle you just have to take the hits I suppose :)

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:28 pm

riding in straps is more dangerous than boots. so easy to have one foot slip out, or to land too hard and break your ankles

the only reason you see pros blowing knees is because you can go so much bigger with boots still stomp landings... but going bigger = bigger crashes so obviously there will be more injuries

the only real danger ive run into is when getting knocked by a big wave, you cant kick your legs to swim, and another time when the wind went directly offshore and i had to end up flagging my kite and swimming in, took an extra minute because i had to untie my boots while floating there. still not really a big deal. now i just ride with the laces loose enough to slip my feet in and out without undoing them. still 10000x more solid than straps, and board only comes off on serious crashes

for launching/landing its up to your local setup and wind strength, if youre going out really overpowered its easier to launch your kite with your boots on and sitting down then slide down to the water. but 99% of situations you can just launch/land normally and walk over and put your boots on. only time its a pain in the ass is if you have to launch in a window shadow and get on the water asap, you can just ride with your feet next to your boots until you're in clean wind and put them on in the water.
Last edited by dylan* on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Don't expect to avoid bad situations. They will happen regardless.
Helmet and flotation vest is a good idea. You will go down harder. Flotation vest helps when you are lying on your stomach and need to get back on your back.
Know your gear.
Be fit and develop good core strength.

Riding boots simply means you have other options. You are less likely to crash out because you have much more control and recovery leverage. But when you crash it's typically harder.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:58 pm

Dont use the handle pass leash attachment on your harness with boots ( or ever really). Its a lot harder to turn around in boots while you are getting dragged backwards by the kite. All so you could get pulled down and under while wearing boots. Honestly you should never hook your leash to the back of a harness. It's a lot easier to reach and pull your release if it is in front of you instead of behind you.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:43 am

Make sure that if you are in the "superman" position that you can get your board in front of you without having to get out of your boots and then back into them. That's one thing that people who ride straps can't do a lot of the time, if they are in the superman position on the water after a crash they just release the board, and then grab it once they are back into position. But this is the single important skill that you definitely do need in boots. You will take a few hits when you catch an edge, but these hits are nothing like the ones you get at the wake park or behind a wakeboat, so I wouldn't be terribly worried about it. I like to ride my boots in waves, so there is always the problem that you will indeed get held down longer if a wave catches you and it is a lot more difficult to swim back to the surface dragging the board behind you. When you first start riding boots in waves just make sure you are using a bit more of a safety factor, that's it. In flat or chop, there's nothing special you have to do. If the launch is easy then you can strap into your boots on the beach and then do a beach launch from land to water. If the launch is sketch just make sure you body drag out far enough. It takes me quite a while to wiggle into my boots, and it's annoying if you don't body drag out far enough, and get pushed back to shore before you get your boots on.

Boots are the best!

I never ride with my boot laces loose, the worst thing that can happen to you is one foot in one foot out. Unlike in straps you can't kick the board off if one boot comes loose.

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy

Postby ragzilla » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:24 am

THIS DEBATE!!

Im a boot rider..... and i swear by it!!!!

if your just trying it out and arent really on the ball with techniques of getting in & out of them........ put a pair of socks on.
Youll be able to slide in & out of those boots with ease and can make it heaps easier.

i prefer riding with my boots tight. As said previosly, if you slam and a foot comes outta the boot, you will quickly get yourself into trouble.
I reckon the quickest and easiest way to get hurt with broken bones and ligaments in boots is to have a foot slip and and getting worked from a crash while the board tries to tombstone.

Crank them laces real good.
It feels better anyway.

if your a little anxious about riding boot, go find a pair with velcro (slingshot KTV or cabrinha or Liquid Force LFK)
you'll find them much easier to get out of.

Ive had heaps of kitemares in boots.... but im still here.
i like to ride L-I-T.... so sometimes its pretty sketchy in onshore conditions putting them on and starting. I'd recommend getting comfortable with beach slides and riding fin-less so you can slide up or off the beach. That way you can put your boots on the beach and slide a few metres to the water.
Cross shore or offshore works easy for this, but it gets loose when its onshore.

prepare your stomach muscles.
its a Mother F***er when your face down in the water and have to bring your under your body and back in front. Laugh if you think im joking..... when youve crashed, but the kites still powered up pulling you, and you need to bring that board underneath yourself..... you too will wish you did more stomach crunches.
I know im not the only boot rider that's been too tired or weak after a day on the water and done the ol'belly flop back roll to get the board back in front.
"you just wait till you in shallow water trying to do it and you're flopping round like a dead fish!!"

Some would ask...... "why would you want to ride boots if simple stuff is so difficult??"
- i can ride ten times faster.
- i can pop ten times higher
- i have ten times the control over the board
- you can throw heaps more style in your moves
- i can boost bigger......
- you have to land
- real men kiteloop in boots!!
- it does really feel 100 times better

i was hooked after 2 sessions.... not long ago i pulled an insert (oh btw.... youre going to go through boards heaps quicker now.... dont worry, its worth it).... i ended up riding a spare board with footstraps. my foot slipped out on a big boots, and i landed ankle first into 2ft of water. SESSION OVER!!.....
i've ridden boots ever since.

doesnt matter how skilled you are...... if you ride fast, and you ride hard..... boots are best!!

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Best.
Been thanked: 0

Postby wind chaser » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks - Switching to boots sounds all positive. I've seen a few videos of boot kitemares. Thinking of switching to a short leash connected to the front of my harness for now, not at a level of doing any handlepasses anyway.

I come from a wakeboard background and been doing unhooked backrolls. My back foot comes out of the straps 50% of the time which is why I'm thinking about trying boots.

The launch I frequent is on shore and crowded, so this will be tough to get used to. Really looking forward to the capability of holding a hard edge as if on a wakeboard.

Zian kiteboarding
Medium Poster
Gear: Aquila, Kima, Hantu
Brand Affiliation: Zian kiteboarding

Postby Zian kiteboarding » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:26 pm

The amount of controll is indeed nice and especially landing jumps with high forward speed is much better to controll. Unfortunately there is (for me) one big disadvantage and that disadvantage has just broken my heel bone in many....many pieces. The thing you dont want to happen with boots is that you boost high and lose pressure. 2 day's ago I had this at around 10m. With straps you kick the board away and fall in the water without issues (assuming it's deep enough). With boots you have to fall lucky I suppose, it will hurt is the best case I suppose :D

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:33 pm

wind chaser wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:44 pm
The launch I frequent is on shore and crowded, so this will be tough to get used to.
Best advice (from edt): "If the launch is sketch just make sure you body drag out far enough. It takes me quite a while to wiggle into my boots, and it's annoying if you don't body drag out far enough, and get pushed back to shore before you get your boots on."

I don't ride in boots, but see a lot of boot-related issues at launch and landing. Sounds like you're thinking logically about these things, wind chaser, so be safe have fun with 'em. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”