Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boots: Any safety tips?

Postby waynepjh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:38 am

TheJoe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:58 pm
Dont use the handle pass leash attachment on your harness with boots ( or ever really). Its a lot harder to turn around in boots while you are getting dragged backwards by the kite. All so you could get pulled down and under while wearing boots. Honestly you should never hook your leash to the back of a harness. It's a lot easier to reach and pull your release if it is in front of you instead of behind you.
This is a very important point! Happened to me. Got stuck on my back with the kite pulling me and the board was pulling me under to the point of inhaling water and almost drowning. I was overpowered riding but didn't want to put up a smaller kite.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:27 am

wind chaser wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:44 pm
Thanks - Switching to boots sounds all positive. I've seen a few videos of boot kitemares. Thinking of switching to a short leash connected to the front of my harness for now, not at a level of doing any handlepasses anyway.

I come from a wakeboard background and been doing unhooked backrolls. My back foot comes out of the straps 50% of the time which is why I'm thinking about trying boots.

The launch I frequent is on shore and crowded, so this will be tough to get used to. Really looking forward to the capability of holding a hard edge as if on a wakeboard.
1. Don't get a short leash, but do connect your leash to the front of you. You can still do handlepasses just fine.
2. My launch is also often onshore and crowded, it's not too bad as long as it's not %100 onshore
3. Hyperlite systems are definitely one of the easier to get into imo if you HAVE to body drag out. I'll just leave my toe straps closed so I can slip the boots into the straps and have some control while I do the instep straps. OR you can even ride out a little bit like that.
4. Don't be afraid to let go of the bar when you think you're going to catch a front edge...f*** those hurt.

lamza
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish Torch
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby lamza » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 am

Zian kiteboarding wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:26 pm
The amount of controll is indeed nice and especially landing jumps with high forward speed is much better to controll. Unfortunately there is (for me) one big disadvantage and that disadvantage has just broken my heel bone in many....many pieces. The thing you dont want to happen with boots is that you boost high and lose pressure. 2 day's ago I had this at around 10m. With straps you kick the board away and fall in the water without issues (assuming it's deep enough). With boots you have to fall lucky I suppose, it will hurt is the best case I suppose :D
Zian, the same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago.. like i am reading my accident...
How are you doing? Have you kited since your accident?
I am recovering from surgery, its not fun at all :(

Hopefully i'll be able to kite in the spring...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 am

edt wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:43 am
Make sure that if you are in the "superman" position that you can get your board in front of you without having to get out of your boots and then back into them. That's one thing that people who ride straps can't do a lot of the time, if they are in the superman position on the water after a crash they just release the board, and then grab it once they are back into position. But this is the single important skill that you definitely do need in boots. You will take a few hits when you catch an edge, but these hits are nothing like the ones you get at the wake park or behind a wakeboat, so I wouldn't be terribly worried about it.
This is why I gave away my boots. I had two bad crashes. One backroll with a kiteloop..just too much power too early in my rotation on a 11...then later I got a whiplash so bad. I was riding my 11 torch, did a front roll, with a downloop transition and I got arrogant and sticking the landing. Boots are sooo comfortable. As I came around my front tip stuck in the water. I dunno about the waterpark, but I got smacked pretty bad in about 20cm of water. It took about a year for my neck to recover..though I kind of blame the chiro I went too...hah.

Zian kiteboarding
Medium Poster
Gear: Aquila, Kima, Hantu
Brand Affiliation: Zian kiteboarding

Postby Zian kiteboarding » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:43 pm

@lamza, sorry for not reading this before. I've send a pm with the answer ;-) Take care and hope you recover soon.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:49 pm

I wish I could still ride boots but after an ACL tear and two broken tibias (all done while snowboarding) my knees can’t take the torque any longer so I ride straps now and have been focusing on board offs and the like.

Ditto on connecting your leash to the front I find that it makes it easier to land on the board after a missed pass.

Return to “Kitesurfing”