Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What type of information and how you prefer to see it when you look for the forecast

Forum for kitesurfers
alicedemireva
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What type of information and how you prefer to see it when you look for the forecast

Postby alicedemireva » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:58 am

Hello guys, I want to ask what are you searching to see and what is in your list as necessary things the site/app you are using for wind forecast to have as functionality.
The main question here is how many of you use a weather maps or meteorologic maps I am not really sure what is the correct term for that.
All of the apps and sites has forecast for the wind and gust hourly for spots and some other things like sunrise, sunset, air temperature, atmospheric pressure, possible rain percentage.
I want to ask you what else you look and search for as an orientation for what the weather would be?

Thank you !
Wish you windy days

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Re: What type of information and how you prefer to see it when you look for the forecast

Postby Lokihel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:23 am

I think it might be quite spot-specific.

Where I kite what I usually look at on the forecast is:
  • Wind speed
  • Wind gusts
  • Wind direction
  • Tide (time and height of low & high)
  • Rain
  • Sometimes waves (height & direction)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: What type of information and how you prefer to see it when you look for the forecast

Postby plummet » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:39 am

Also rain radar, lightning radar, live wind readings,
Oh and a forecast that accurate to include local seabreeze.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Beyond the aforenamed parameters, I wish they show forecast for lulls.
This one is for desperate days when you're pushing the light wind limits.
If lulls under 4knots, stay ay home; If above 6knots go for it. In between: take your chances 8)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:29 pm

I never look at the barometric pressure humidity stuff like that. I always just look at the models, like NAM, GFS, CMC maybe some other models, then look at the top level storm forecasts from accuweather then take a look at the surface analysis maps so I can see the pressure fronts, high and lows. Computers are so smart now a days you can't really compete with them by doing your own surface analysis unless you are an expert. Kiters want just one thing: reliable computer models of wind and storms and we want them as many days before hand as possible. Right now for my area (the midwest) we can't really trust the models more than 1 or 2 days ahead of time, maybe 3 if it's a really big system. 4 days out you might as well toss a coin. Trying to get a forecast 4 days ahead of time requires powerful supercomputers crunching a bunch of numbers. I don't think it's really about cute things like little buttons or pop ups on a web site, it's about the predictive ability of the forecasts. You have a great forecast the you have my attention. There are a lot of places in the world where you have resident weather experts that are able to do a better forecast than the computer models, and when you have that, it's really great, I just don't have that in my local area.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:39 am

Forecast info:
Besides the obvious wind speed / direction
Gust/Lull differential
rain / thunderstorm
--- To help predict seabreeze ---
% cloud cover
air temp & water temp
surface forecast

Current conditions / history:
wind speed / direction
gusts & lulls
lightning
air temp & water temp
surface map

alicedemireva
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby alicedemireva » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Thank you everyone
to @edt - just want to say I know how you feel about the long forecast, but the thing with the weather forecast is that it is only a forecast and the weather is changing every minute.
I dont believe that anyone can provide a really great forecast for up to 10 days, I personally check all of the sites and apps and none have a great forecast for a long period.
But I would love that too since I need to plan my holidays in advance regards the projects I work on. Maybe we can help people to predict what can happen but I am not sure that anyone can give 10-15 days ahead.
Thank you!

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:26 pm

I like the look and lay out of the wind forecast on this site for a quick glance and get a good “feel” for the wind and I also look at the temp and wind direction:

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/ ... A&state=OK

I like this site to really examine all that is listed on the graph:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical

I use the maps and radar here to get an overall feel for temp, humidity, and wind speed. Also if there is any storm or front moving in.

http://www.mesonet.org/index.php/weather/category/wind

The meso has an app too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”