Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Epic, F-one, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well and fun to fly
Has thanked: 0

Re: High Y vs Low V bars

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:19 am

Its all about trade off - pros n cons

Now that the kite industry are able to build very specific kites - wave, speed, freestyle or jump kites.. a typical trade off would be a speed kite will be harder to relaunch as opposed to a wave kite design. The same bridal wont work on both kites. The Speedster is not expected to crash his kite and a wave rider needs a fast relaunch to save being eaten by sea Monsters..

There is a few companies lately that have gone back to bigger more complex bridals in some models.

The 5 line wrap can be scary depending on what situation your in - C kite riders love C kites but hate them with Vengence when it catches.

atomic-chomik
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby atomic-chomik » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:30 am

Great info obviously based on experience. Confirmed some things i suspected and explained a couple other. Thanks Guys!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:58 am

alford wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:52 am
Shave, thanks for the info. I do have to ask however, why not put the extra work into the bridle to reap the benefits of a simpler bar layout? Seems like a worthwhile investment to me.
My thinking also. IMO not doing this ^^^ is not a technical decision but rather a marketing decision made in order to continuing selling proprietory bars.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 pm

i don't have the bar anymore I made for the NEO. I used the Ozone metal to split the Y. Also I used Airrush line because they can are manufacture to increase or shorten the lines. A lot of work to get it right.

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Core XR4 7m. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional CF Cruiser Pro 145 and North 135 Select.

Postby DSZ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm

Low Ys seem to be much more suitable to self landing than high Ys. Also I have noticed than some kites with a high Y don't sit on the ground when tethered to an anchor as quietly as a low y kite.

BB000
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Evo 2016

Postby BB000 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Thought I'd chuck in a couple more facts.

I have a 5 line trust bar with a high Y. On my 2016 Evo the 5th line is slack by about 100mm. So by having a high Y you shorten your front lines. Therefore, if you use a low V bar then you would need to lengthen your rear lines by about 100mm or the kite will be out of trim with a lowered angle of attack.

As my Evo has pulleys then this would help compensate for the change in angle to the low V connection (separate from needing to lengthen the rear lines). However, it may not be such a rigid connection, so the turning could be slower in lighter winds as there wouldn't be sufficient pulling on the kite.

I also double checked this with North/Duotone and they said the turning would be slower but it should only be noticeable in lighter wind.

So as long as you change the trim by lengthening your rear lines then it should work in decent wind.

That's the theory and now I'm going to get a slingshot bar and see the difference.

Leon van Bergen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebels 6M, 8m & 11m, 15m Juice, 17m Best Roca, on my Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:13 pm

DSZ wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm
Low Ys seem to be much more suitable to self landing than high Ys. Also I have noticed than some kites with a high Y don't sit on the ground when tethered to an anchor as quietly as a low y kite.
Interesting, this is exactly the thing that really disappointed me when I switched from Best to North / Duotone. My best kites with V remained quietly on the beach while my Duotone's are now mega pounding with the Y.

Return to “Kitesurfing”