Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Your worst kitesurf injury ?

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Your worst kitesurf injury ?

Postby matth » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:46 am
i had one of 7 screws out today in my ankle - another 6 months to the rest of the metal work out.

Mental health is a way bigger deal than injury pain for an addicted kiter used to years of non stop buzz in long term injuries.

I learned you need to replace that kite buzz, don't under estimate this - it's not easy but find things you can do that's regular, both social and physical - don't let your brain go on at you about what you really want to be doing - eg back kiting sooner than is possible. Force your brain to think about things you can do (eg swimming /isolated injury gym exercise) at the time, not can't do - your brain will tell you they are boring compared to kiting and so try and demotivate you from doing them as they don't have as much buzz as kiting, or that you won't be able to kite again - fight this..

b careful getting into swimming before stitches have fully healed due to infection risk

any other good ideas for exercise things to do? i cant swim for a month from today after swimming most days of the last 3 months. :-(

100% correct. I was out last summer for 5 months after rotator cuff surgery from a hard fall in the fog at Snowbird(skiing). Everything went great with the surgery and I was back riding in the late fall. Only issue was sleeping that led into full blown insomnia. I think I would rather lose a limb than go through insomnia again, it's awful and really f##ks with your mind. I counted one stretch were I had zero sleep for five strait days. Thankfully I finally got it under control after about 4 months. Stay busy, exercise as much as possible, get out with people as best you can. Try doing something you have always put off, like learning a new language, or making web pages, etc.
Best advice I ever heard on mental health was , always wake up with a purpose, with something to get done.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Learning to Kite I was body dragging and when I came in to walk up the beach I Sent the kite for a little jump and when I came back down I had a #3 piece of rebar go through my foot. Had to learn self-landing on the fly, and the pull it out and walk the long mile back up the beach, to my car.

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:45 pm

Maybe an unhooked launch would of prevented my recent short deathloop up the beach. Intermediate older safety-conscious kiter, done over a 1000 launches without mishap. This happened during a regular assisted launch with a 20 knot directly onshore steady wind. During launch, a large balled up knot, taking up 20cm or so of coiled line suddenly formed in my downwind steering line and launched me into the rocks. Why didnt I quick release? Because the whole incident took less than three seconds! My lines were clear and not crossed up prior to thumbs up but I failed to see the damn knot form. Couldnt control the kite and it looped me three times across rocks and shells into some neighbouring scrub. Ouch. Fractured wrist with complete rupture of an important ligament and lots of road burn and cuts. Was wearing helmet and impact vest. Three screws put in last week and no kiting for 3 months. Here is my MRI report (any hand surgeons out there? - if so, please chime in?):

Comminuted intra-articular fracture of the distal radius with diffuse bone
marrow edema with acute fracture. Large effusion at the DRUJ with synovitis.
Diffuse edema within the adjacent pronator quadratus muscle belly. Moderate
degenerative changes at the DRUJ. Lunotriquetral ligament and TFCC are
intact. Moderate wrist effusion.

Complete rupture of the scapholunate ligament on the scaphoid side.
Scapholunate interval is widened measuring 4.5 mm.

Bone bruise involving the distal hamate with normal alignment of the 4th and
5th CMC joints. Hairline fracture involving the proximal aspect of the
triquetrum. Bone bruise in the trapezoid, distal scaphoid, distal lunate,
dorsal aspect of the capitate, radial base of the 1st and 2nd metacarpals.
Soft tissue injury between the base of the 1st and 2nd metacarpals with
moderate amount of fluid and edema.

IMPRESSION:

Acute intra-articular fracture of the distal radius with no significant
articular depression. This could be better assessed by x-ray.

Complete rupture of the scapholunate ligament off the scaphoid.

Hairline fracture of the triquetrum. Bone bruises in every carpal bone and
the proximal 1st and 2nd metacarpals. Soft tissue injury between the 1st and
2nd metacarpals dorsally.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 am

Jeez, I broke my wrist kiteboarding too. Sounds like I got off lightly :o

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:20 am

Trouble free for the last 18 years, until now,2 cuts to shin from evil foil, stitches for one ,the other glued! 1st time foiling without a wetsuit, big mistake!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:04 am

i am kiting again, was a long shitty road I am still walking (hobbling)..I did 2 serious injuries in a row.
Broke my back in 2 places(skating)... healed.. sort of!.. then immediately snapped my ankle(kiting) and ripped ligaments clean off the bone.

I had a huge number of hours riding under my belt. I was a pig in shit working evenings, kiting daytime.... for years.. I ticked most tricks and a goddam strapless backroll was my undoing after doing what i thought was doing far riskier stuff previously. ( rolled and snapped my ankle .. on the board as I landed)

I know of someone permanantly brain damaged .. beach launch.

It will bite u in the ass when u least expect it.

Of course kiteboarding is a safe sport.. as the indut$ry kookpimps tell you! lol lol

If it was super safe it would be super boring.

Return to “Kitesurfing”