Airrush slayer
Airsusv sector
Crazyfly cruizer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your worst kitesurf injury ?

Postby Mad_dan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Got intersection syndrom (tenosynovit) in both underarms three years ago, when I was kiting a very long day in very light wind in cabo verde on a cabrinha kite. Im still in pain typing this post..... :-(

MRI Doesent show anything wrong so surgery is probably not an option.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m

Postby coffeeking » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:59 pm

Kicked my board fin once. Stung a bit.

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Broke tiny bone under big toe on the first day.
Slightly tweaked knee
Pulled groin
Black and blue from feet soles to arse cheeks getting dragged for 30m over chalk bed- no major injuries.

10 years kiting, all injuries during learning stage. Nothing for a good few years now thankfully. Learning in waves with big gusts is more difficult than trade winds and flat water.

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:49 am

Chlamydia.

Actually not me. But I'm sure a lot of Kiting instructors. Stories anyone?

dt73775
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9

Postby dt73775 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:41 am

Seeing the new kites for the year and just going all out...OUCH....LOL

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:00 pm

^^^ LOL The best!
A bottomless hole in my pocket.

OffshoreApparel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarpon Springs
Gear: N/A

Postby OffshoreApparel » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:22 am

Just happened this year in the keys. Back foot came out of the strap while at the peak of a jump. Tried to save it instead of kicking the board away. Took a couple massive wacks to the lower leg/inside shin area and blew out some major veins. Hurt like hell for a few months With blood not able to find it's way back up properly, swelling and nerve endings on fire every time I got up.

Happened in May and I'm still not 100%, I can still feel things swelling after being on my feet for any length of time. Vessel or two probably clotted off but luckily not to the extent of a DVT. It sucked and I still have the scar to show for it.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:19 pm

So far my worst injury is a broken fibia, did it 4 weeks a go and my cast comes off next week.

I got overpowered / too fast, before my brain could even think about slowing down I wiped out massively and somehow ended up with my leg in an unpleasant situation!

Went into autopilot so my first memory post crash was washing up on the beach and crawing over to the kite I'd released to lie on it and think about my life :lol:

skiting
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot, BRM

Postby skiting » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:49 pm

wind chaser wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 pm
Tibial Plateau Fracture: happened last week and just had surgery so I'm stuck on my ass trolling the internet. I think a few things contributed. I just got a new board. My previous set up was a 2013 slingshot 140cm with boots and with huge rocker and less surface area. Made to ride fast - forgiving on hard landings. I switched to a new cabrinha 141 x 43 ace with more surface area and less rocker. I immediately noticed more pop and it didn't take as much speed.

After 15mins of riding around I attempted an unhooked backroll with a lot of speed (with same muscle memory of previous board). I can stick these on a wakeboard and land them on a kite 1 out of 3. I loaded the line and was super powered but don't think I got decent vertical on the pop. Pretty sure it was a fast and low roll with a violent crash landing (upright). Conditions were 22kts and was on a 10m hybrid C fully powered.

Immediately felt pain in the leg and knew it was bad. Had the fun of kiting back to shore, luckily I was only 1/2 mile out. Now I have a shit load of screws just below the knee and I'm out for at least 3 months staring at my new board.

Hey windchaser,

funny that I am in the exact same situation..
broke my tp on august 13, when landing really badly after kite got overpowered in mid air during a jump (nothing crazy, like 20 feet), I also realized right away my knee was gone and had to body drag to shore about 1/2 mile screaming like a madman. Similar conditions for me about 20 knots and was out on my 10.. surgery for me on august 18 with plate and six screws.. first couple of weeks post op have been really painful and annoying, but now I am improving a bit.. regained quite a bit of knee range of motion (-5 to 105), pain much more manageable, doing tons of leg lifts, and today for the first time was able to ride 500m on the stationary bike.. it hurt a bit but it feels like a milestone! Still my whole leg is very swollen...
the plan is to start to bear some weight 4 weeks after surgery, and hopefully abandon crutches 2 weeks later.. but will see..
to all of you who got similar accidents, please share the experience..

Best wishes to you for a fast healing and return to water!!

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone

Postby wind chaser » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 am

skiting wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:49 pm
Hey windchaser,

funny that I am in the exact same situation..
broke my tp on august 13, when landing really badly after kite got overpowered in mid air during a jump (nothing crazy, like 20 feet), I also realized right away my knee was gone and had to body drag to shore about 1/2 mile screaming like a madman. Similar conditions for me about 20 knots and was out on my 10.. surgery for me on august 18 with plate and six screws.. first couple of weeks post op have been really painful and annoying, but now I am improving a bit.. regained quite a bit of knee range of motion (-5 to 105), pain much more manageable, doing tons of leg lifts, and today for the first time was able to ride 500m on the stationary bike.. it hurt a bit but it feels like a milestone! Still my whole leg is very swollen...
the plan is to start to bear some weight 4 weeks after surgery, and hopefully abandon crutches 2 weeks later.. but will see..
to all of you who got similar accidents, please share the experience..

Best wishes to you for a fast healing and return to water!!
Yes, this is by far the worst injury ever experienced. Not so much the pain, but the very slow rate of recovery. Sounds like you're recovering much faster. I got 9 screws and a plate. Can only bend 45 for now and not expected to bend 90 until october. No weight on it until 3 months (late December)...2017 Season is over. Can't even go to work till October...bored out of mind. Buddy sent me a melodica so I can kill time making loud obnoxious reggae and blues noise.

Were you riding boots when it happened? I used to take much harder falls than this one while wake boarding. Getting old, so i guess shit breaks easier and recovery is slow.... Thinking about going back to straps and spending more time on a strapless surfboard.

best of luck on a quick recovery.

Return to “Kitesurfing”