Forum for kitesurfers
|wave|
Rare Poster
Gear: Switch kite
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Europe with kids?

Postby |wave| » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:43 pm

I think Sardinia is too far from Naxos. :wink: The easiest way to get to Naxos from mainland Europe is a direct flight to Mikonos or Santorini and then 2h of ferry. To make in one day you need to arrive in Mykonos before 3/4pm to get the last ferry

I was in Naxos (Mikri Vigla) two years in a row (2015 and 2016) with two kids (1 years old and 4 years old ) and was great both for the wind and the family.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Well,

respect to Greece at al. but I always say you need to be close to hospital(s) with this sport of ours. Particularly with kids.
Just saying...Finding an english speaker in a hospital might be, well, challenging with no local person to translate for you.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Southern Portugal near the boarder with Spain is good. I was there last summer and the wind kicks in for solid 10-12m weather every afternoon but you have to be at the beach as inland a bit the wind isn't blowing at all!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Sorry, I meant Santorini...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:09 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:11 pm
Well,

respect to Greece at al. but I always say you need to be close to hospital(s) with this sport of ours. Particularly with kids.
Just saying...Finding an english speaker in a hospital might be, well, challenging with no local person to translate for you.
Actually, when we were on Naxos 2007, my 2 years old boy had a major allergenic reaction with hives all over his body and blue lips. We were 30 km from Naxos city without a car on Sunday evening. We took a Taxi into emergency room and they checked him out and gave him an antihistamine. They were fantastic, then we had to find open pharmacy to get medication, and I didn't have enough money, I was short a few dollars, they gave me the meds anyway!
They said come back day after tomorrow for follow up with pediatrician, which we did and he gave us some weird advice that we followed. ( Greeks have some strange beliefs about allergies, or perhaps it's my culture that does)
He spoke perfect English. Those 2 visits cost 5 dollars... I kinda saw why Greece was in a financial meltdown. They had a nice hospital and tons of personell on this little island....

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:15 pm

Heh,

that was in 2007, 10 years ago. As always, smaller places might be better than bigger ones.

Oh, btw that would cost you nothing in Japan. Zero. Nada. μηδέν

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:12 am

Nin (Sabunike), Croatia is child friendly.

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:57 am

Akyaka turkey was good with the small kids. Public beach a little small and not so beautiful. Locals absolutely fantastic with the kids however. Kiting conditions 10/10 but family stuff only 6/10. Food, locals also top marks.

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Has thanked: 0

Postby bri7 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:01 am

TomW wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:09 pm
downunder wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:11 pm
Well,

Actually, when we were on Naxos 2007, my 2 years old boy had a major allergenic reaction with hives all over his body and blue lips. We were 30 km from Naxos city without a car on Sunday evening. We took a Taxi into emergency room and they checked him out and gave him an antihistamine. They were fantastic, then we had to find open pharmacy to get medication, and I didn't have enough money, I was short a few dollars, they gave me the meds anyway!
They said come back day after tomorrow for follow up with pediatrician, which we did and he gave us some weird advice that we followed. ( Greeks have some strange beliefs about allergies, or perhaps it's my culture that does)
He spoke perfect English. Those 2 visits cost 5 dollars... I kinda saw why Greece was in a financial meltdown. They had a nice hospital and tons of personell on this little island....
Generally health care in Europe is extremely reasonable $$ and excellent, in Europe we won't turf you out into the street or fleece you. which we must keep fighting for 👌

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu
Has thanked: 0

Postby dimip » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Random wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 am
Thanks for the replies. Not a huge fan of the Canaries, and I think El Medano is overrated for kitesurfing (having been there) but it is a nice, easy sleepy village which could work.

Naxos sounds potential... Any other ideas?
With family one vote more for kitesurfing in Naxos You can enjoy on the same spot kiting and separate place for your family that is never overcrowded :idea: :thumb:
Have a reading also here Iksurf Magazine

Return to “Kitesurfing”