Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot wave Sst Self Launch

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra and Union, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot wave Sst Self Launch

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:54 am

Can you not walk up the lines to land?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGunSQnLc3s

and then once you have your kite on the ground, take your harness off and place it gently on top?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:24 pm

petato2 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:41 am
Thanks all.

Ciscokitesurfer I tried your Selflaunch as in your vídeo yesterday, It works great. I am carrying a sand bag with the kite from now on.

Different thing now is self landing this kite, did not needed yesterday but I ll need to figure It out, specially in high winds.
All kites can be a challenge to self land in HIGH winds, but the SST is particularly troublesome due to the raised nose. I can't get it to sit in any fashion that I'd trust it before I could get to the kite. Lighter winds, no problem. High winds that like to flow under and grab it, no way.

In those situations, if nobody is around I release it to safety. I usually go out with my leash line attached to the UPPER center line of whichever way I plan on landing. Bring the kite down where you want to land it and deploy your safety. If you do that, when you pull the safety, 99% of the time it just lies down immediately flat and you can walk up the leash line to the kite (or pull it in if it's a wet landing).

If you bring the kite down to deploy the safety and the lower center line is leashed, well, then it's 50/50. Sometimes it lays down, sometimes it spins and lays down. And every once in a while it spins all the way up over your head and lands on the other side of the wind window. Those are puckering times. Plan ahead.

Seafly
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Seafly » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm

I get very nervous while landing particularly on onshore winds because the set tends to self launch. It does not sit flat on the sand. There is a 4 inch gap while flat at the front of the kite that lets the wind in and tries to pick the kite up. Pointless I agree. As soon a s possible I put a sand bag on the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”