Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Airush Union III: Throw Loops, Throw Spray, & Throw It Down

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:50 pm

Airush News:

Airush Union III: Throw Loops, Throw Spray, & Throw It Down

airush 1.png

The all-new UNION III has been re-designed from the bottom up to improve key areas. The UNION III delivers even more lift and hangtime when going for Big Air, along with quicker and more responsive steering.

Union III

Sizes:
5M I 6M I 7M I 8M I 9M I 10M I 12M I 14M I 16M

- Big Air, Hang Time, and Horizontal Pull in the Kiteloops.
- Intermediate to advanced all-round versatility.
- Unhooked performance.

airush 2.png
airush 2.png (177.41 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
airush 3.png
airush 3.png (182.67 KiB) Viewed 4709 times

The all-new UNION III has been re-designed from the bottom up to improve key areas. The UNION III delivers even more lift and hangtime when going for Big Air, along with quicker and more responsive steering.

The shape has been refined to sit slightly further forward in the window whilst retaining the light and ultra-responsive steering.

A new wing-tip design prevents back stalling while the increased linear power delivery has made it even more suitable for freeriding, freestyle and wave riders alike.

The UNION III is the natural step up for the Lithium user looking for increased jumping performance and quicker depower response, or for the freestyle rider wanting unhooked performance with the usability of increased depower and a more forgiving feel.

Want to know more about the new design of the Airush Union III? Read Mark Pattisons Behind the Design.

http://airush.com/2017/kites/union-3/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUC7R9zWWPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUC7R9zWWPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MszTmfYUL48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MszTmfYUL48

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush Union III: Throw Loops, Throw Spray, & Throw It Down

Postby John-B » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:51 am

Airush Union-III (2018 Release) 12m & 9m Review

So I was lucky enough to get my hands on some of the first Airush Union-III’s to leave the factory and even luckier to score some decent winds to test the 12m and 9m kites in a range of conditions.

There is some great information about them from the designer on the Airush Wesbite and I pretty much concur with what they aimed for; however to earn my UK test team status I better write a bit more of a review than that! The kites were tested on a 2016 Bar (waiting on the new one coming) and all line lengths were checked and equal. The kites were flown on the standard/only knot on the back lines; however I always move the backlines to the outer fast/light setting and I adjust the leading edge bridal to the lighter bar pressure setting.

From my settings you can deduce that I like a kite that flies fast and has light bar pressure. Now this can sometimes be a combination that can lead to spongy feedback, but like the previous years offerings the V3 Bridle means there is excellent feedback, even when the kite is trimmed/depowered. I’d even go as far to say there is a sharper more responsive feel to the U-III and being someone who loved the 9m Airush Wave for it’s intuitive feel you can feel the DNA of this in it. It’s very precise and both the 12m and 9m are great for pulling down-loops from boosts as you will know where it is and how much input it needs to either drive round fast to catch you or to give a bit of forward pull to avoid the kite coming the other way!

Now some might think that needing to avoid the kite coming the other way might seem a bit reckless; however in my defense this only happened as my estimation of where I was going to end up was way off due to the fact that the U-III is a total boost machine. I’d launch myself with what would have been plenty of space for the 2017 Union (which boosted great) only to find myself rocketing up, staying up and travelling much further than expected! The U-III sits much further forward and combination of responsiveness, speed and forward turning i.e. it keeps power and drives through the turn means you can really wind it up for some great height and airtime. Some intermediate riders might even have to watch out for this as it’s ability to drive/sit forward has the potential to drop you under it if you keep it directly overhead and sheet in to land and redirecting it wrong will bring you in very fast.

Unhooked, for my limited repertoire of big extended Railys and S-Bends, it has behaved impeccably. Sometimes with a kite that sits as far forward when you edge it hard it will dart even further forward and kill all the power – none of which is good for loading and pop. The Union-III by comparison is very stable unhooked, it won’t dart forward or drop back in the window and strangely for something so responsive it’s not twitchy and doesn’t climb – I’m assuming I’m feeling where it is and adjusting my input as required as nothing feels frenetic. The result is very linear power delivery for load/pop and once you’ve busted your move your not being yanked off downwind and it’s all very easy going.

Something of note is the new layout of the load frame and the canopy is super taught – even with rapid and full depower there is no luffing of the canopy and when you down-loop it the combination of this and the forward turn means its silent with no flutter. This made me look the first couple of times as I could feel the kite loop but I was used to a little bit of noise on the 2017 Union. I also enjoy, know how to and understand how a kite flies – this means that I can use the capabilities of the U-III to eke out some light wind performance. For example I had pumped the 9m during one typically Scottish up-and-down session and was the only person riding when others were on 12m kites. If you are light on your feet and know how to tap into it’s efficiency then great, but if you expect a more sheet and go approach to power delivery you might feel it’s ‘gutless’ and at worst you will choke it in light winds if you don’t let it move forward. In contrast to this the U-III has a great top end and when the wind kicked in one session (I live in Scotland were horoscopes are more accurate than forecasts) I had no issues being on the 12m when others were lit on 9/10m kites

For someone like me who primarily likes to boost as high as I can as often as I can and dabble in some unhooked and hooked in tricks in lighter to moderate winds the U-III is a step forward on the 2017 Union (which was not in any way shabby). If you are an advanced intermediate and someone who has some technical understanding to pilot it then the U-III will reward you across many styles and disciplines. However, it’s intuitive handling means it’s not a struggle, your not constantly being tested by it and you’ll find yourself having fun, whooping and singing loudly… or is that just me?

Look up John Barber for the Woo Stats :thumb:

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:25 pm

I'm another UK rider - as like John above we've had the Union for a month or so,
Kiteworld have had a 9 for a good few weeks to - test coming out in the new issue.

But Just thought I would add what we've (myself and some of our riders) found in our first few sessions with the 9 and 12.
I know that throughout the industry the patter is always better, more, greater and easier - the formula of brochure text is always a bit limited by it's very nature, so I have been asked to put a little meat in there from a riders perspective. I've been through all the VX's, and the Unions of all sizes so far... As well as the Wave and a lot of the other kites that share a similar design curve.. As well as half a season on the razors in 2017..

So what is it and what does it feel like and do?
This year it’s way more alive than last - it’s going to appeal to people who really like to pilot their kites. One of those kites that, the more you throw it around the more you’ll get from it. It’s fast turning, and super efficient. Bite against it and it hammers to the front of the window with greater attitude than 2016 or 17. It’s pulling noticeably higher woo numbers than last year n the sessions we've had.... and a lot more engaging on the way down.

Is it a difficult kite to use?
Well, no, but it's quicker and such is it’s eager pull you can find yourself running out of apparent wind if you go too far and the windspeed is light - (you can build very high apparent wind in low power conditions).. Conversely you can gain a lot more than you have ever had before if you use it’s abilities right. It’s very stall proof in general handling, stable and easy - certainly static manners are exemplary when your hands are off the controls, but when your hands are on, you have turn your brain on to get the most from what it can do, as much in light winds as in strong.

It’s also much better for unhooking (surges forward on bite as mentioned earlier) thus giving a lighter bar, mid move, and it’s speed of turn is much faster which is knocking squarely on wave kite territory.. More technical - arguably - but so much more focussed than last year - it’s going to find a lot of favour with those who can fly well..

Slightly less powerful size for size until you move it (compared to 2017), then it’s the same (apparent wind). Depending on your weight / board efficiency, you can use the same size but, I certainly, can use a slightly larger a kite than last year in any given wind. It loves to be thrown around, last years feels solid but comparatively restrained by comparison. This year the kite the kite has more life and lungs. It’s approaching the Razor in ability, but with full depower, distancing itself further from the freeride cornerstone that is the Lithium.

Fast kites can sometimes have trust issues in certain conditions (extreme overpower / gusty or gnarly wave breaks, or if you stall it out at the back of the window / relaunch) but the Union III so far has dealt with everything we have thrown at it - so certainly no issues when things get sketchy - an essential aspect in real world conditions. The 2017 was excellent in this regard, and good to see that the extra life in the V3 has not compromised it when things get sketchy.

It's a lot more engaging in varied conditions - much better in waves, quicker around the window in lightwinds when on a foil, and way better through the loop, just remember to ease yourself into it rather than trying to go around the first roundabout sideways. We had one rider who sent it for a kiteloop on his first transition, and in retrospect was not ready for the level of forward turn and speed through the loop. Make sure it's firmly tucked into your shoulder before you let loose on your first shot.

The 9 and 12 have a very similar feel and same riding principles apply to both. The 12 is a lot more lively, which is welcomed as improvements in the agility of the bigger kites is never a bad thing.

I'm also really keen to read the K/W test when it comes out.
So far we are very impressed...

pretty picture - easy on the eye :-)
small.jpg

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby or6 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 pm

You got to love the marketing....who reads this shit....? Redesigned from the bottom up. And refined. So what is it? Here's my free advice to airush...make the kites available for testing, and shut the **"* up about it.

Sorry, I am sure it's a nice kite.

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam

Postby MrWolf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:34 pm

or6 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 pm
....who reads this shit....?
You did. :lol:
or6 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 pm
...make the kites available for testing, and shut the **"* up about it.
Go to your local shop and demo one, if they don't have one in I am sure they could get one in.
I don't think thats different from many other brands especially if you ride in a pretty popular area like Holland.
Problem Solved. :thumb:

Sorry, I am sure you are a nice person but you come off pretty agro.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:44 pm

The U-III sits much further forward
After going through what's written on the website and reviews I can't help wondering wtf happened to the good-old "deeper in the window" and "closer to the window's edge"???

In the Cabrinha FX's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_YRoNr-YFk

They came up with some very interesting set of terms that make no sense what so ever:
fx1.png
fx2.png
Like come on people!!!! Speak English!!!

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam

Postby MrWolf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:53 pm

Further forward = "closer to the window's edge"
Sitting further back = "deeper in the window"
I have heard both terms around but mainly in different countries they would use one terminology over the other to mean the same thing. Just my observation.

I wouldn't know what "further forward back into the window" you are referring to in that cabrinha video.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:59 pm

One things that I always wonder is why (once you are at a decent riding standard) no one ever talks about the kites suitability to certain weight groups. I mean an expert at 65kg has a completely different kite choice to an expert who is 105kg. Anyway - that's a completely different discussion.

For those who have interest, we will answer any questions you may have, and we promise to be nothing but polite and respectful, no matter how many pitchforks are waved at us :-)

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:18 pm

MikeBirt wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:59 pm
One things that I always wonder is why (once you are at a decent riding standard) no one ever talks about the kites suitability to certain weight groups. I mean an expert at 65kg has a completely different kite choice to an expert who is 105kg. Anyway - that's a completely different discussion.

Good point, at 90kg I felt that Bandits definitely work a lot better for considerably lighter riders. My 2017 Union 12m is a whole different story though - feels right at home.

wetdog
Medium Poster

Postby wetdog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:14 pm

Interesting. Why is that? Is the Union more "solid/stiff" or how would you describe the difference?

Return to “Kitesurfing”