Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Eleveight kites

Forum for kitesurfers
harppa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Eleveight kites, Brunotti boards, ION neoprene and Moses hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Eleveight, Brunotti, Peter Lynn, ION, Shark SUP and few others.
Has thanked: 0

Re: Eleveight kites

Postby harppa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:43 am

What is the downside of naked rope? If you look at the solution Best had I cant think of many. Sinne 2012 in Finland a grand total of 1 (one) depower lines replaced. Eventough not a huge market but still some hundred Best bars out there. The PU coveres things are piece of sh*t when you use them in cold conditions.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby or6 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:13 am

The downside of naked dyneema is wear and tear. That is not an issue on all bars; it really depends on the size and the quality, if you like, of the hole(s) in the bar.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 pm

A big advantage of bare Dyneema rope is that you can see when it's worn and it's cheap and easy to replace.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:35 pm

I have to issue a partial retraction on my previous statements, as yesterday I demoed a new (either '17 or '18) 10m Cabrinha Switchblade. The kite and bar were brand new - never used. I prefer to use my own bar at demo's (after checking line lengths), but could not as I did not have any "barbel" converters to use with my all loop line ends. So I used the supplied brand new Cabrinha bar.

Contrary to my previous experiences on Cabrinha bars specifically, I had no issue sheeting while turning the kite hard. And given the wind was 14m, it was a loopfest with the 10m. I had to loop everything from down the line to backrolls off white water.

alexeyga wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:57 pm

Lol, nothing wrong, in fact - only thing I meant to say was that you're like a rocket scientist trying to argue with a bunch of kids who are playing in a sand pit :baby: ... great points, but most riders are just happy to be out there and ride without being that technical. Your experience and your background (surfing using kites that are too small for the conditions and your weight) are waaaay too specific and what works best in your case, isn't necessarily what would be "the best" across the board. Besides - there isn't such thing as "the best", there's only what works best for you. :thumb:
Yes, I agree that my posts are written in too complicated a manner. But that does not always indicate intelligence. Put more simply, "it don't make you smart just because big words pop into your head". And I am certainly no "rocket surgeon" or "brain scientist". :wink: I strive to write more simply, but the details always seem to get in the way. Communication handicaps can go both ways.

And yes, riding does not have to be technical, nor is there any "best" way to do it. I will argue that there ARE ways to maximize potential of a system like kiting. But like you said, that may not be best for your average rider. I post for those that want to examine the details, and try to fill in the blanks that I can. I read others posts for the same reason, and learn in kind. I do not think about these things until AFTER a session or move. I have a hard enough time with just building the instinct to react in a "quicker than thinking" way while doing these things. Post session examination or even pausing on a run can bring to light what happened, so you can plan your modification of the initiation on your next attempt. At least for me, after the initiation of a move, everything relies on instinctual reaction. Or at least I cannot grasp the words that would describe those things that happen when things go to a blur.

harppa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Eleveight kites, Brunotti boards, ION neoprene and Moses hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Eleveight, Brunotti, Peter Lynn, ION, Shark SUP and few others.

Postby harppa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:13 am

or6 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:13 am
The downside of naked dyneema is wear and tear. That is not an issue on all bars; it really depends on the size and the quality, if you like, of the hole(s) in the bar.
Luckily the guys at Eleveight use special lubricating plastic piece inside the bar to prevent wear and tear. By My experience I expect zero problems with the wear and no corkscrew depower rope after one session in cold conditions :)
Attachments
FB_IMG_1503385457291.jpg

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:52 am

The bar looks fine to me. My kites are fast turning, which is necessary and which I like, but my hands are never all the way on the outside of the bar.

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 am

or6 wrote:
When you have the "Derlin" inserts in the hole, not that much wear anyway.... Low friction material, self lubricating...

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:12 pm

or6 wrote:
To me the biggest one is the fact that it really burns your fingers. Wear and tear is the fact of life, you're supposed to keep an eye on your equipment's condition anyhow and it isn't a bad idea to have a spare depower rope in your repair kit. One might also argue that in the long run, naked rope traps lots of sand particles between fibers and becomes abrasive for the bar. Not an issue if there's a plastic insert though.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:21 pm

john a wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 am
or6 wrote:
When you have the "Derlin" inserts in the hole, not that much wear anyway.... Low friction material, self lubricating...
So where does the lube come from?

Those inserts will damage over time. But if they're cheap and easy to replace I think it's a better alternative than having to replace the lines.

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Faxie wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:21 pm
john a wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 am
or6 wrote:
So where does the lube come from?

Those inserts will damage over time. But if they're cheap and easy to replace I think it's a better alternative than having to replace the lines.
By lube, i believe they mean it shines the rope, so they it doesn't wear quicker.

Return to “Kitesurfing”