Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disadvantages of wave kites

Postby Matteo V » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:30 am

or6 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 am
A convincing argument for straps, although I don't see why people should argue about it in the first place.

One flaw in your argument though; it is very much possible to push the envelope kitesurfing strapless.
I am not an evangelical proponent of one or the other, though for myself, I have come to preffer one over the other. That preference was made possible by learning strapped first, - though my original intention was only to learn strapped first, then put the straps in the bin and never ride strapped again. In the end, I wound up doing the opposite of the hype that I originally bought into as I was able to experience both and evaluate without hinderance.

I am a proponent of exposing the hype that perpetuates the "strappless is the only real kitesurfing" idea. Should I have not learned strapped first, I may agree with this strapless only mentality. Lucky, a simple choice of "order of operations" saved me from that fate, nothing else. And that lucky choice was the simple plan to learn strapped first, then strapless for the rest of my time in kiteboarding.

Strapless is a valid and fruitful expression of kiteboarding. I do not wish to see it ended - just the hype. And advertising by way of pro-riders DOES follow the hype. So hold off on the false equivalency of "what the pros are doing". I am not a pro. I am not a groupie. I judge for myself. Others judgements are important to me, but those espoused judgements do not steer my thinking by numbers or level of skill of those kiteboarders holding to those ideals.

Should you wish to point out a flaw in my argument, sift through the below comparison for something you disagree with. This lays out positives on both sides without any attempt to shame one or the other.

The positives/arguments FOR being strapless are as follows.
1. Strapless allows you to simulate prone surfing as kitepower is limited by being strapless. Without straps, the rider must focus on limiting the power of the kite, and therefore the wave ride is much more like a prone surfing wave ride without a kite.
2. Strapless allows you to limit impacts to your body as kitepower is limited by being strapless, and high “Boosting” (sending the kite with abandon) jumps are eliminated.
3. Strapless allows you to move your feet around as required on surfboards considered unnecessarily large for kiteboarding. Typically, boards in the range of 6’6” and up are not used in kitesurfing as that extra length is unneeded and actually a hindrance to performance. But if oversized boards are used, they require lots of foot movement that cannot easily be performed with straps.
4. Strapless eliminates the possibility of injury due to one foot coming out of a strap, while the other one is retained. Injuries to foot, lower leg, knee, and hip are frequent when one foot comes out of the strap while the board twists the foot/leg still in the other strap.

The positives/arguments FOR being strapped is as follows.
1. Strapped allows you to maximize the power potential of the kite/kitesurfer/kitesurfboard system. With straps, kite pull, sideloading of the board/fins, and board speed through chop, can be much higher with straps as they provide the last link to make the system solidly connected.
2. Strapped allows you to quickly boost over incoming breaking waves. This means a quicker ride out, less impacts from breaking waves, and less wear and tear on your body (and kite) while stuck on the inside waiting for a way out.
3. Strapped kitesurfboards are typically small enough to not require foot movement on a wave powered or not. The straps also allow upward pressure, higher sideways pressure, and even twisting moments, thus making a smaller board perform with a much wider envelope than it would without the straps.
4. Strapped reduces the likelihood of shallow water foot, ankle, and knee injuries due to being bounced off the board or one foot slipping off and contacting the bottom at speed.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby or6 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:41 am

That was fast!

We pretty much agree on everything, except for number three on the positives for straps....my feet are all over the place. And I like it that way.

Have you seen the YouTube movie on Kay Lenny and Airton , going out together in Maui somewhere? If nit, do. Shows the challenges of both ways.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:27 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:30 am
or6 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 am
A convincing argument for straps, although I don't see why people should argue about it in the first place.

One flaw in your argument though; it is very much possible to push the envelope kitesurfing strapless.
I am not an evangelical proponent of one or the other, though for myself, I have come to preffer one over the other. That preference was made possible by learning strapped first, - though my original intention was only to learn strapped first, then put the straps in the bin and never ride strapped again. In the end, I wound up doing the opposite of the hype that I originally bought into as I was able to experience both and evaluate without hinderance.

I am a proponent of exposing the hype that perpetuates the "strappless is the only real kitesurfing" idea. Should I have not learned strapped first, I may agree with this strapless only mentality. Lucky, a simple choice of "order of operations" saved me from that fate, nothing else. And that lucky choice was the simple plan to learn strapped first, then strapless for the rest of my time in kiteboarding.

Strapless is a valid and fruitful expression of kiteboarding. I do not wish to see it ended - just the hype. And advertising by way of pro-riders DOES follow the hype. So hold off on the false equivalency of "what the pros are doing". I am not a pro. I am not a groupie. I judge for myself. Others judgements are important to me, but those espoused judgements do not steer my thinking by numbers or level of skill of those kiteboarders holding to those ideals.

Should you wish to point out a flaw in my argument, sift through the below comparison for something you disagree with. This lays out positives on both sides without any attempt to shame one or the other.

1. Strapless allows you to simulate prone surfing as kitepower is limited by being strapless. Without straps, the rider must focus on limiting the power of the kite, and therefore the wave ride is much more like a prone surfing wave ride without a kite.
2. Strapless allows you to limit impacts to your body as kitepower is limited by being strapless, and high “Boosting” (sending the kite with abandon) jumps are eliminated.
3. Strapless allows you to move your feet around as required on surfboards considered unnecessarily large for kiteboarding. Typically, boards in the range of 6’6” and up are not used in kitesurfing as that extra length is unneeded and actually a hindrance to performance. But if oversized boards are used, they require lots of foot movement that cannot easily be performed with straps.
4. Strapless eliminates the possibility of injury due to one foot coming out of a strap, while the other one is retained. Injuries to foot, lower leg, knee, and hip are frequent when one foot comes out of the strap while the board twists the foot/leg still in the other strap.

1. Strapped allows you to maximize the power potential of the kite/kitesurfer/kitesurfboard system. With straps, kite pull, sideloading of the board/fins, and board speed through chop, can be much higher with straps as they provide the last link to make the system solidly connected.
2. Strapped allows you to quickly boost over incoming breaking waves. This means a quicker ride out, less impacts from breaking waves, and less wear and tear on your body (and kite) while stuck on the inside waiting for a way out.
3. Strapped kitesurfboards are typically small enough to not require foot movement on a wave powered or not. The straps also allow upward pressure, higher sideways pressure, and even twisting moments, thus making a smaller board perform with a much wider envelope than it would without the straps.
4. Strapped reduces the likelihood of shallow water foot, ankle, and knee injuries due to being bounced off the board or one foot slipping off and contacting the bottom at speed.
Looks like from his profile that Matteo is a flat water kiter. I would wear straps if I was a flat water kiter too. Thought this link was about wave kites not strapped in lake kiteboarding. Ha Ha

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:52 am

:allbegood:
Matteo V wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:11 pm

And here we go with the strap fight!

If you want to go strapless, just use pads and forget the wax.

But there is a secret wax, that I use exclusively, called West System 105. I mix the 2 part stuff, then stick down my booties over night with them. The next day, I have wax that is better than any other wax on the market because my booties will never come off the board again. Sure I have to put on the board like a wakeboard, but everyone sees me strapless so it's cool.

Just kidding!

Bottom line is if you are looking for the best wax, it is straps. If you go strapless, I do not get why you would want stick to the board as well as with straps. I never could pull off a kick flip with wax on the board unless I dumped enough sand on it to make it not stick for a while. I then realized that just using a front foot pad was the way to make kick flips WAY easier.

Though I do not really kite strapless anymore, I went through this. And again, if your goal is to stick to the board, use straps. If you goal is to be strapless, use skill to keep the board in contact with your feet.
Matteo V wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:20 am

Disclaimer - I started out as a dedicated strapless rider, now I am dedicated to straps for more performance. But don't let me tell you which is better for you. Figure it out for yourself and try both. In order to try both, you must learn to jibe with a 90% success rate WITH THE STRAPS FIRST. Then try strapless and see if you can at least get some strapless airs, make some kick-flip attempts, and maybe even try a backroll. This will give you a feel for both.

DO NOT GO STRAPLESS FIRST! As clint2070 has stated above, if you go strapless first, you will think you need to move your feet all the time and the straps will feel funny. But worse than that, is that you will not be able to jibe easily when you try to learn the straps later. If you learned strapless first, and can jibe that way, you will think it is good. Then when you try strapped, you will be falling in the water at the end of each tack. This forces you to go back to strapless to have a good time. Learn the strapped jibe first and get it down before you move onto strapless or forever a strapless rider you will be.

Given my experience of buying into the strapless hype early on, and then later realizing that it was just a limitation, I have done some serious examination on this subject. My personal style is to use the kite, or not, on the wave. Sometimes I go for a "surfer with a kite" ride. But most of the time I go for a kitesurfer ride as I like to put both together to make it into something more that the sum of it's parts.

Move your feet argument -
On a SUP board (surfing with no kite) you need to move your feet long distances to vary the pressure on the board according to where your are in your wave ride. A longboard is close to the same with some big movements required. Then a "fun board" requires much less movement. Then a shortboard requires even less movement on the wave. Tow in boards???.....they have straps. But once you get down to a board that is sized right for a kite (too small to prone surf), you really are riding a board too small to require any significant movement on that board.

Straps on a kitesurfboard (not over sized) actually allow you to pressure the board in many different ways. With straps, you can even lose some rocker on the board (or just chop the nose) and make up for less rocker with upward pressure on the front strap. Some low rockered boards could never be ridden on a steep wave face without straps. The ability to pressure the board in different ways without moving your feet is why straps yield a higher performance in waves.

If you looked at my profile on the right, you would see that I do get some coastal riding. Actually about 3months of it straight, in the summer. And yes, Clint, straps are for TT's. But they are for surfboards too if you want to push the envelope of what is possible. If you want to just simulate surfing by being a surfer with a kite, then go strapless and enjoy. My only issue with you is that I know where you are as I have been there before. I also swallowed the strapless pill and did it for a long time. Then I coughed it up and spit it out on the sidewalk. You may do this one day too.

For everyone else.....Just try to avoid the hype and do both strapped and strapless to figure out what is to your liking.
Matteo V wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:30 am

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:12 pm

clint2070 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:27 am

Looks like from his profile that Matteo is a flat water kiter. I would wear straps if I was a flat water kiter too. Thought this link was about wave kites not strapped in lake kiteboarding. Ha Ha
Now you are just "poke-in fun at me" and pullin the old switcheroo. You do know what the word "coast" means, right???? And Oregon coast should indicate a pretty popular area with lots of different spots for kitesurfing.

I actually got almost 80days of kiting in prime season on the coast this year alone, as I spend my summers out there. After my summer wave season, I get almost that number of days on flat water or on swell. And I do not focus on one aspect of kiting - regardless of being in waves or on flat water. I love speed runs behind roads crossing lakes, sand dune trenches (actually in Nebraska at certain waterlevels), and recently even taking my strapped LF Kitefish for some rail rides on some portable features we have here. Swell is fun too, and I just got my fat butt (220lbs) out on a 3.5m kite in 30-55mph winds to make it upwind for the first time on that kite and enjoy the gorge like swell we can get in our "flat water". But my favorite kiting is lake shore break. Nothing over 3' high, but you do have to be quick and in shallow where I have experienced #4 in the list - and a great benefit of being strapped is the reduction of the danger in this.

But this should not be about me. It would be a sign of you giving up on your argument to attack the person, instead of the argument. So I am sure your next post will be about one of the flaws in the advantages I have laid out in my list. And here, let me put it up again so you don't have to scroll up. Let me know your argument against something on this list. I mean, I really tried keep out anything that would "trigger" a firm believer in "strapless is the only way to really surf waves". Feel free to rewrite one or two if you have been triggered by them, as my goal is to have an unemotionally charged comparison.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:12 pm
clint2070 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:27 am

Now you are just "poke-in fun at me" and pullin the old switcheroo. You do know what the word "coast" means, right???? And Oregon coast should indicate a pretty popular area with lots of different spots for kitesurfing.

I actually got almost 80days of kiting in prime season on the coast this year alone, as I spend my summers out there. After my summer wave season, I get almost that number of days on flat water or on swell. And I do not focus on one aspect of kiting - regardless of being in waves or on flat water. I love speed runs behind roads crossing lakes, sand dune trenches (actually in Nebraska at certain waterlevels), and recently even taking my strapped LF Kitefish for some rail rides on some portable features we have here. Swell is fun too, and I just got my fat butt (220lbs) out on a 3.5m kite in 30-55mph winds to make it upwind for the first time on that kite and enjoy the gorge like swell we can get in our "flat water". But my favorite kiting is lake shore break. Nothing over 3' high, but you do have to be quick and in shallow where I have experienced #4 in the list - and a great benefit of being strapped is the reduction of the danger in this.

But this should not be about me. It would be a sign of you giving up on your argument to attack the person, instead of the argument. So I am sure your next post will be about one of the flaws in the advantages I have laid out in my list. And here, let me put it up again so you don't have to scroll up. Let me know your argument against something on this list. I mean, I really tried keep out anything that would "trigger" a firm believer in "strapless is the only way to really surf waves". Feel free to rewrite one or two if you have been triggered by them, as my goal is to have an unemotionally charged comparison.

you're missing the point. This discussion is about wave kites not strapped vs strapless. Start another discussion on that topic ! Ill be sure not to join in on it.

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?

Postby BigZ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Translation: I have never learned to kite strapless :roll:

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:20 am
clint2070 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:47 am
Straps suck ! They get in the way and when on a surfboard you need to re poison your feet all the time. with straps you're screwed.
Disclaimer - I started out as a dedicated strapless rider, now I am dedicated to straps for more performance. But don't let me tell you which is better for you. Figure it out for yourself and try both. In order to try both, you must learn to jibe with a 90% success rate WITH THE STRAPS FIRST. Then try strapless and see if you can at least get some strapless airs, make some kick-flip attempts, and maybe even try a backroll. This will give you a feel for both.

DO NOT GO STRAPLESS FIRST! As clint2070 has stated above, if you go strapless first, you will think you need to move your feet all the time and the straps will feel funny. But worse than that, is that you will not be able to jibe easily when you try to learn the straps later. If you learned strapless first, and can jibe that way, you will think it is good. Then when you try strapped, you will be falling in the water at the end of each tack. This forces you to go back to strapless to have a good time. Learn the strapped jibe first and get it down before you move onto strapless or forever a strapless rider you will be.

Given my experience of buying into the strapless hype early on, and then later realizing that it was just a limitation, I have done some serious examination on this subject. My personal style is to use the kite, or not, on the wave. Sometimes I go for a "surfer with a kite" ride. But most of the time I go for a kitesurfer ride as I like to put both together to make it into something more that the sum of it's parts.

Move your feet argument -
On a SUP board (surfing with no kite) you need to move your feet long distances to vary the pressure on the board according to where your are in your wave ride. A longboard is close to the same with some big movements required. Then a "fun board" requires much less movement. Then a shortboard requires even less movement on the wave. Tow in boards???.....they have straps. But once you get down to a board that is sized right for a kite (too small to prone surf), you really are riding a board too small to require any significant movement on that board.

Straps on a kitesurfboard (not over sized) actually allow you to pressure the board in many different ways. With straps, you can even lose some rocker on the board (or just chop the nose) and make up for less rocker with upward pressure on the front strap. Some low rockered boards could never be ridden on a steep wave face without straps. The ability to pressure the board in different ways without moving your feet is why straps yield a higher performance in waves.

If you looked at my profile on the right, you would see that I do get some coastal riding. Actually about 3months of it straight, in the summer. And yes, Clint, straps are for TT's. But they are for surfboards too if you want to push the envelope of what is possible. If you want to just simulate surfing by being a surfer with a kite, then go strapless and enjoy. My only issue with you is that I know where you are as I have been there before. I also swallowed the strapless pill and did it for a long time. Then I coughed it up and spit it out on the sidewalk. You may do this one day too.

For everyone else.....Just try to avoid the hype and do both strapped and strapless to figure out what is to your liking.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:45 pm

BigZ wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 pm
Translation: I have never learned to kite strapless :roll:
Actually, I did. Not only did I learn to kite strapless, I learned strapped with the intent of never going back to it once I learned strapless. After learning strapless (strapless jumps, kick flips, almost a clean backroll or two) , and having a good time enjoying the challenge of the handicap it presents, I found myself occasionally putting the straps on for certain circumstances. Through this period, I was still glued to the "strapless is best" banter on forums. I would even jump in on occasion and rag on the strapped guys.

Then one day, I had realized that I had not taken off the straps for quite some time.

Upon further personal comparison of strapless vs strapped, I became aware of the hype that I had bought into previously. Yes, I too was a sucker for thinking strapless was better than strapped without understanding both. Now I do understand both. And on rare occasion I still kite strapless. It is fun, but much less of the roller coaster ride than strapped is.

Again, I do not want to convert anyone. I simply want those just getting into directionals to make an assessment of the "pro's and con's" of both, then decide for themselves without following the hype that is weighted heavily to one side.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:51 pm

Hi Matteo,
I very much agree with your thoughts on Strapped/Strapless,

I wouldn't bother anymore with some of the "Look at me, I ride strapless" brigade, they all seem a bit, desperate, to me.

I've ridden directionals since the very first ones, strapped and unstrapped, and I can't do a back loop transition onto a wave strapless, but I can strapped !! there's the rub.

Jonysan

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:22 pm

I prefer riding strapless but watch videos of Robby Naish strapped kite surfing. In an interview, he said he prefers strapped. It all what you like.

Return to “Kitesurfing”