Forum for kitesurfers
backcountry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Gear: Ozone, Best
Brand Affiliation: None

Ocean Roadeo Flight 10m good kite?

Postby backcountry » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:34 am

So I have a line on 2015 OR flight with bar for $700. I do mostly free ride. I know they advertise this as a light wind kite. My question is, will this be a kite that I can use, or is it limiting the conditions I can ride? My quiver currently consists of 09 best nemesis' s - 6, 9 12, and 14. I do a lot of snow kiting in the winter as well

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Re: Ocean Roadeo Flight 10m good kite?

Postby grtlakes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:04 am

I own the 10m 12m and 17m flites. I ride with TT and sector in all conditions.They have an easy relaunch and I have used the 10 in 30kt winds. I find it a very fast and responsive kite without issue. I also plan on trying them with a foil next week.
Go for it. Good deal.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:41 am

I also misunderstood the marketing when first looking at the Flite. For the smaller kites its less 'light wind kite' and more 'light wind design'. So you get a kite that has the design/performance characteristics of a light wind kite in a kite size you can use in regular conditions.

17-25 knots is the sweet spot for my 10m. Have used it in gusts up to 30. It doesn't become unusable but I knew I'd be having more fun if I was on a smaller kite. They generate good apparent wind so you can get away without changing up a size if the wind starts to drop off.

For me relaunch is good where you can stand (as they reverse launch well) but average in light wind and deep water (e.g. foiling).

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:53 pm

The 10m its not a light wind kite, works quite well on the top end.

backcountry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Gear: Ozone, Best

Postby backcountry » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks all. Will get it. I bought an OR duke last year, that I love and am trying to get dialed in

BillyKP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby BillyKP » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:46 pm

8-10 knots is 10m Flite and Hydrofoil for me. So yes it is a lightwind kite, but performs great in high winds too.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:09 pm

I had a 12m and loved it, great kite. Only thing I could possibly say negative is its not the best kite in gusty, unstable wind, It will work fine but not as relaxed as a Switchblade or Rebel in those conditions.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Yes, Flite 10m is a great kite. Super good for jumping, screaming up wind, and really good for foiling. Don't let the "light wind" thing fool you. I'm 230 pies and have ridden it in 35-40 mph winds. No distortion under heavy load (me :roll: ) in heavy wind. One of my favorite things about the Flite is just how damn responsive they are. From the 8m (ROCKETSHIP) to the 17m (the one that I have to fly most of the time), they just turn so much faster than most others their size. You should get that 10m for the deal that it is. Love the kite for fun you're about to unleash.

*Disclaimer-Not only do I sell OR, but I spent my own dollars on a 17/12/8 quiver of Flites. :thumb:

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:19 pm

BillyKP wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:46 pm
8-10 knots is 10m Flite and Hydrofoil for me. So yes it is a lightwind kite, but performs great in high winds too.
You cannot use the 10m in 8knots with the hidrofoil, with 10knots yes, big diference.

Obe_1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Michigan
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan, LaVentana, Hatteras.
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Shinn Monk, Ocean Rodeo Flites & Roam, Cabrinha Drifters, Blade Trigger, Slingshot RPM & Misfit, Groove Skate foilboard, Lift 150 V2 & 170, Liquid Force Rocket Foil, Overdrive
Been thanked: 0

Postby Obe_1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:35 pm

I have a 10,12, and 14.5 m Flites. The 10m is my favorite by far. I do get some overlap with the 12m, but prefer to ride the 10 m.
I am 70 Kg and ride the 10m in 16 - 24 knots on a 135 TT. I can hold on in higher winds but would rather drop down a size.
These are fast kites that jump well. They go upwind very well if you learn to let them breathe a bit once you are up to speed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”