Ride Engine 2018 Harnesses

Forum for kitesurfers
Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ride Engine 2018 Harnesses

Postby Robsw6 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Hope the webbing strap and stitching is beefed up - 1st generation was a very comfortable harness, but the single attachment in the PU had too much upward movement and it tweaked my ribs on big boosting sessions and also the harness gave up after 9 months.

njrider
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby njrider » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:20 pm

For what it's worth, I tried the 2017 RE harness and it created a weird pressure point on my back. Based on the reviews I expected it to be a slam dunk. I'm back to riding my 8 season old mystic warrior - problem is the Velcro is dead. Anyone else have this problem?

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:52 pm

njrider wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:20 pm
For what it's worth, I tried the 2017 RE harness and it created a weird pressure point on my back. Based on the reviews I expected it to be a slam dunk. I'm back to riding my 8 season old mystic warrior - problem is the Velcro is dead. Anyone else have this problem?
I hated the 2017 RE. It pinched the sides of my back at the top of the harness. Seemed like not enough padding. I'm back to my Mystic again.

ripper tom
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ripper tom » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 pm

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 pm

I'm using the Team Harness for two years in a row and it is still like perfect like it was right from the first minute. I didn't had to try different sizes before deciding with which size to go because I have used the Ride Engine size chart that worked perfectly for me. Nothing came close from other brands and I have tried a lot because it was my business. And I don't need to wear a lycra to avoid bruises.
But the hard shell harnesses are less forgiving than the very soft harnesses when it doesn't fit to the riders body right from the beginning it will never fit. But that makes the take or leave it decision even easier. When it fits in the first minute it will fit until the riders body changes.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:21 pm

NEkitesurfing wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 pm
But the hard shell harnesses are less forgiving than the very soft harnesses when it doesn't fit to the riders body right from the beginning it will never fit. But that makes the take or leave it decision even easier. When it fits in the first minute it will fit until the riders body changes.
This raises the question then: was the real kickass value of the RE innovation the hard shell style? Or the fact that they were custom molded for each individual's body shape?

I got a 2017 medium, which never fit right, had to be too tight to not ride up, and that created sore spots. I abandoned it and went back to my old harness, just recently decided to sell it.
But then got tempted back in by the sales of old stock, got another 2017, but small this time. We'll see!

My metal slider had the webbing wear prematurely along the seam -- probably 10 uses. But now they are on sale for $10, so a cheap replacement.

MMac22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SC
Style: Surf
Gear: North kites, Tomo boards

Postby MMac22 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:04 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:21 pm
NEkitesurfing wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 pm
This raises the question then: was the real kickass value of the RE innovation the hard shell style? Or the fact that they were custom molded for each individual's body shape?
Probably depends on how unusual someone's body is. However, the real value is in the hard shell that distributes the pressure much better. I've owned both the original custom RE and a new 2017 production RE. They have both worked perfectly for me. The production model is way more refined and just as comfortable, so I don't see much value in a custom version unless someone has a very unusual body shape.

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:07 am

hrdude wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Probably depends on how unusual someone's body is. However, the real value is in the hard shell that distributes the pressure much better. I've owned both the original custom RE and a new 2017 production RE. They have both worked perfectly for me. The production model is way more refined and just as comfortable, so I don't see much value in a custom version unless someone has a very unusual body shape.
I have a custom RE and have the exact same perspective on custom vs production. I actually cant tell the difference in the shape of the production harnesses and my custom harness.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:24 pm

I finally got to try on the 2018 harness last weekend.

It's very nice and much more refined from the 2016/2017 design. Seems the goal was to address some of the wear points people have noted in this thread.

The Velcro is different. There is no underband stretchy thing. Both sides of the belt stretch out for you. There is a full width piece of exposed scratchy velcro on the right side and I guess the fuzz on the inside of the left side. I should have looked at that more. It looked different than normal velcro, but maybe they just reversed where they put the hooks and the fuzz. That whole belt /velcro setup has been redesigned. It didn't seem as sticky in my quick fit, but also has a goal to get rid of the spreader bar riding up on people. So maybe the assembly is a little stiffer to keep it down and in place. ?

The hook knife pocket has been moved back to the underside of the spreader bar pad.

I am one that liked the poly covered rope closures of the old harnesses, but the metal attachment on this one isn't bad. It's all straps on the left side and the metal buckle on the right side seems to minimize rigid pieces. I'll probably give it a try.

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:26 am

I tried out my 2018 RE Hex at the Weekend setup with normal fixed hook and gotta say that I love it, but I have loved all the previous versions. The updates this year are to the velcro belt, the foam on the inside, much improved webbing and of course the new closure system. Personally I've never had any problems with either my 2016 or 2017 - the 16' was probably not as polished as it could be coming to market, which was addressed last year IMO. However, this year is an evolution to the design and with the new setup you can cinch it in tight very easily and it just feels even more secure.

That said I've never had a problem with it moving or the bar riding up and I think this is because I have found the perfect fit for me and this is the key thing with the RE harnesses. With other brands (non hardshell) there was enough slack in the design i.e. adjustment, size of harness plate, pliability etc that they could fit a huge range of shapes and sizes. With the RE you need to get the sizing and fit right so that it 'sucks' into your lumbar area and make sure the bar length is correct for your hips to prevent any compression or upwards movement. If in the UK you can speak directly to the guys at www.rideengine.uk and let them know your size and what you have used before and they should be able to get you exactly what you need.

I've also tried some other brands hard shell attempts and a few friends have also switched from these to the RE as the adage the original and the best has never been truer. If you want the maximum amount of support and freedom of body movement with the most minimal fit then the RE is still harness to go for and with the 2018 improvements the best just got better. Perfect.

Return to “Kitesurfing”