Unhooking for big boys!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Unhooking for big boys!!

Postby Starsky » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:10 pm

The solution is all about direction of travel. Really hard to work on this stuff while trying to hold your ground. Try making your line throughout the load, pop and landing point further downwind. The whole thing is going to cost you ground, not just the time in the air. Instead of traveling across the wind, unhooking and carving an upwind line of drive, commit to losing way more ground and point further downwind, unhook and carve your pop back across the wind or even still a little downwind. The pop will be more manageable. Your going to loose loads of ground, but thats just the way it is for unhooking. Downwinders are massively helpful for working on this stuff. Lets you repeat the fun part over and over. By varying your line, you should be able to control the amount of pop you get from a simple foot of air, to whatever your arms can handle. At first keep the kite at around 45, but soon enough you will learn to cheat a bit with the kite to give you some height. Aim the kite up a bit just before you carve, keep it going a bit skyward as you load, then pull the front hand while you pop so the kite corners from shooting skyward back to your original line by the time you land. Puts a little vert in your pop.

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Postby we » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Do you have a cable park nearby? It's well worth it, even though the kite is more forgiving than the cable. But Starsky nailed it, it's the direction of travel. Try slowly edging up into the wind. Once the pressure gets too much in the hands, go back downwind.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Faxie wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:08 am

Your weight isn't really relevant.
What a load of bollox! How much do you weigh?
I’ve kited weighing between 103 and 117 kg and the difference is huge in just about all aspects.
Also see Tones comments.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Been thanked: 0

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:47 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:51 am
Sounds like your initial assessment is about right. You need to generate ( and thus hang on to) more power to lift 125kgs.

Hows your pull ups and muscle ups going? You are going to need to be stronger than a smaller person just to perform the same stuff.
Exactly as I was saying, he's not gripping the bar tight enough and it's getting ripped off of his hands.

Ragzilla you have no other choice except to start running on that treadmill, or gripping the bar tighter so it doesn't tell you who's boss. Because no amount of new equipment is going to help you, you either lose some weight if you still want to keep the justin beiber grip, or you start gripping the bar like a gorrilla and tell that kite who's boss.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:51 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm
Faxie wrote:

I’ve kited weighing between 103 and 117 kg and the difference is huge in just about all aspects.
Also see Tones comments.
Agreed, the difference is huge. Putting it into perspective, when at 117kg it's like being at 103kg but with a 14kg back pack on your back.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:13 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm
Faxie wrote:

Also see Tones comments.
I've weighed from 93 to 69, 84 at the moment.

For the kite and technique the weight of the rider isn't that relevant. Not my fault he's a big pussy :baby:

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Postby we » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:57 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Exactly as I was saying, he's not gripping the bar tight enough and it's getting ripped off of his hands.
No, I think he's doing it wrong. I bet he's going too slow which gives a very deep edge. When he starts edging, it just increases bar pressure, but the board is stuck deep in the water. There's not enough pressure under the board to release it. Something has to give so it's ripped out of his hands.

You can experience this yourself if you try to waterstart by looping the kite unhooked.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:11 pm

we wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:57 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:47 pm

No, I think he's doing it wrong. I bet he's going too slow which gives a very deep edge. When he starts edging, it just increases bar pressure, but the board is stuck deep in the water. There's not enough pressure under the board to release it. Something has to give so it's ripped out of his hands.

You can experience this yourself if you try to waterstart by looping the kite unhooked.
Well he just stated that he has excellent technique, and we're just dumb, so screw him. :jump:

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Weight of the kiter of course matters a lot. The force you can get out your of kite is just as much as you can take. If wind is high limiting factor is kiters weight (and strength) because kiter drags downwind if there is too much power. But if you connect your chicken loop to some solid point and then throw it through the wind window kite may even destroy itself under huge forces.

That is why tow kiting etc. is so dangerous, there is just too much weight attached to a kite. And if you are overpowered some of the worst thing which can happen is if you somehow lose ability to go downwind. If then you make some steering error something will usually break, your gear or yourself. When releasing you will fly and then crash violently.

Typical example of that is when kiter has lost control and is dragging downwind and then something suddenly stops this movement.

Almost always light weight kiter has more strength compared to his body weight than a heavy weight one.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 pm

How wide is your board? Board volume & surface area are also relevant. I find the amount of kite needed is is related to board volume / (surface area). Bigger (wider, more volume, more surface area, etc) board means I can be on a smaller kite. Smaller kite means less strain on the hands/arms.
The amount of arm strength seems to go with the following boards (respectively): twintip, wakeskate, skimboard, surfboard (short/fish), surfboard (egg/long), SUP, hydrofoil.
The other thing that helps to ride fully powered all the time, i.e. pulleybar, roosterring (frickenloop). The pulleybar helps to relieve bar pressure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”