Brand Affiliation: Promoter

Re: Cabrinha Fireball vs slider rope.

Postby peppedurso » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:02 am

rjkritzer wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:13 pm
peppedurso wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:10 pm
Hi,

I am using a fireball bar with a modified lower section. Compact and efficient, I really like it.
This is a great approach. I use a fireball and want to add a rope slider option for foiling, so I really appreciate your work. I may try to cut only the lower part of the black plastic to get access to the hole for the D-ring. Your pictures really help clarify the whole issue.

Thanks for the concept!
Thank you rjkritzer!
It’s a pleasure to share my experience!

daspi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: the ones I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom and Ace twin tip, Plywood LW boards
Surfboards: Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-One Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing, Plywood pocket board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha Fireball vs slider rope

Postby daspi » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:03 pm

2021-07-07 13.51.38.jpg
This setup allows me to use the fireball to connect directly to the ring without the need for the bottom metal part as previously posted. It allows me to use a regular chicken loop with it too. Simply feed chicken loop through the ring. I had to do it this way as I ride a Core bar with it most of the time. But buying some non Core wave kites and got me a fireball QR to rigg on one of my frankenbars. So far this setup works great with any bar and chicken loop.

BTW: Nothing is connected to the main connection ring in the picture. The orange thing on the left is my safety leash. The additional rope through the main ring is a safety in case the main rope should fail. But this is way more unlikely compared to a slider setup.

rjkritzer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lakes Bay
Favorite Beaches: OBX, TCI, Jersey Shore, St. Croix
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kitelement split board, Cabrinha SB (6, 9, 12) Contra 15m. LF Impulse Foil, Clouds

Postby rjkritzer » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:49 pm

daspi wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:03 pm
2021-07-07 13.51.38.jpg

This setup allows me to use the fireball to connect directly to the ring without the need for the bottom metal part as previously posted.
Thanks - I have also thought about not using the lower part - the fireball - and connecting the safety release to a ring as you show (but on a slider rope). I would keep the fireball connection on the spreader bar as well as the rope slider, and think this gives several advantages such as it being very simple, and allowing to attach the fireball without changing bars or harness. My only hesitation is with sand getting into the safety release mechanism since there will no longer be a cover on the lower part. Have you had any issues with this?

daspi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: the ones I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom and Ace twin tip, Plywood LW boards
Surfboards: Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-One Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing, Plywood pocket board

Postby daspi » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:22 pm

rjkritzer wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:49 pm
daspi wrote:
2021-07-07 13.51.38.jpg

This setup allows me to use the fireball to connect directly to the ring without the need for the bottom metal part as previously posted.
Thanks - I have also thought about not using the lower part - the fireball - and connecting the safety release to a ring as you show (but on a slider rope). I would keep the fireball connection on the spreader bar as well as the rope slider, and think this gives several advantages such as it being very simple, and allowing to attach the fireball without changing bars or harness. My only hesitation is with sand getting into the safety release mechanism since there will no longer be a cover on the lower part. Have you had any issues with this?
What cover are you talking about? There is no issue what so ever. I always wash off my bar when I hit the water anyways. Just from attaching the release to the ring should not trap any sand.

rjkritzer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lakes Bay
Favorite Beaches: OBX, TCI, Jersey Shore, St. Croix
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kitelement split board, Cabrinha SB (6, 9, 12) Contra 15m. LF Impulse Foil, Clouds

Postby rjkritzer » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:16 pm

daspi wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:22 pm
rjkritzer wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:49 pm
daspi wrote:
2021-07-07 13.51.38.jpg

What cover are you talking about? There is no issue what so ever. I always wash off my bar when I hit the water anyways. Just from attaching the release to the ring should not trap any sand.
By cover, I mean the black plastic that mates to the safety release - it adds some protection to the metal release and the opening to the bungee line. You actually did answer my question by indicating that you don't get sand trapped in the release. I always wind my bar up as soon as I land to get it out of everyone's way, so I agree the risk of sand getting to built up is unlikely. At this point, I am going to use this as my first setup. Thanks for the feedback!

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:35 pm

I accidentally took my bar that had the fireball ball rip off mid session to the beach the other day and I used my leash ring (that comes with the Cab bar) to connect directly to the spreader. The ring on that leash is a tiny bit too small for my tastes as it might get squished in to the QR but I was checking on it and it was sitting nicely and not squishing in. Good option next time my fireball rips off to keep kiting.

You can see it at the 0:46 mark:
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
rjkritzer (Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:50 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:03 pm

Guys, if anyone is after a Fireball bar, a friend of mine who has a shop in Germany has quite a few in stock. 2018-2019, overdrive, fixed, trimlite, recoil... pretty much all models. New and demo in top condition.
Drop me a PM and I'll get you a good deal.

I'll ask for some photos and will add them here tomorrow

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:27 pm

Fireball and rope slider are interchangeable if you spend $30 on a second QR that you don't mind mutilating into a pulley system
Attachments
45612341-B667-4B81-9D9F-64B93A531D51.jpeg

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:37 pm

kct wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:27 pm
Fireball and rope slider are interchangeable if you spend $30 on a second QR that you don't mind mutilating into a pulley system
I'd rather thread an open ring here and have it welded. Or am I missing something?
Attachments
IMG_20210709_173457.jpg

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:19 pm

That part just came with the pulley. Aside from the screw I don't see a way to attach the QR but Ronstan makes a few variations.

Return to “Kitesurfing”