Saved by the wrist strap

Forum for kitesurfers
br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Saved by the wrist strap

Postby br44 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 am

Several weeks ago I got some significant pains in one wrist, probably tendonitis. As I gradually realized, this was caused by: a few long asymmetric sessions (more time and power on one side - going out more slowly against the waves); improper loading of the wrist (bending it while pulling in the bar); a kite with too much bar pressure; plus not using a stopper and having no idea about what can happen.

A long break, various exercises, a bar stopper and a wrist brace helped but not quite as much as needed. I was afraid I was done for a while, when I stumbled across a very good solution: a wrist strap.

I realized how lucky I was when, after a 5-hour session, my wrist hurt LESS than before I started. Go figure.... kiting for therapy?? OK!!

Wrist straps are so effective at protecting injured, weak or merely fatigued wrists that they will likely remain a permanent feature on my bars.
IMG_4870.JPG
IMG_4873.JPG
IMG_4872.JPG

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Saved by the wrist strap

Postby BWD » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:59 am

Until you get yarded in a death loop because you can't let go. Then the strap use will stop, whether or not your heart does.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:37 am

most dangerous arrangement you can do .......follow the nerves going from hand to spine (a good therapist) ....release the entrapment......between scapola where there is the problem that causes pain down the hand

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:19 am

That just looks like a very bad idea.

If your hand gets caught in the strap, activating the QR will start death loop, with the added bonus of torn ligaments in your should, as you will be getting dragged by your arm.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:28 am

Been there too, big pain.

Here what helped me.

Your wrist strap sounds interesting, but safety wise a no go for me.

I had chickenloops open, breaking, broken harness etc...if this happens to you, you will death loop. Too much power to get out of this.

But...why not use a velcro? Like a surfboard leash...this way you could open the velcro if you have to.
Attachments
wrist leash.png
wrist leash.png (459.17 KiB) Viewed 2342 times

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 am

I woud look for a solution that doesn't bring any extra risks, and that wrist strap really does bring a lot of it. Don't use it.

Different approaches:
1. Look for kite with less bar pressure.
2. Look at different gloves....yours might cause you to grip the bar too much? I bought myself nice and warm gloves, but had to ditch them because my underarms were exhausted within 20 minutes. I went back to my open palmed gloves. Not that warm, but far easier to hold on to the bar, without having to apply a death grip.
3. Try to kite with two hands on the bar. I see a lot of people with one hand on the bar when it's completely unnecessary. Only take of your front hand when it helps you.

Get rid of that strap. If you need to stay with it, at least replace it with one like Toby suggests.

Good luck, Or6
Last edited by or6 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank

Postby ichabod » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Yeah another vote here.. horribly dangerous that! The fact that you have even considered riding like that is a little worrying :o

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Great points. I had actually thought carefully about the safety aspect, and should have mentioned that earlier. In addition to many hours of riding, frequently inserting and removing my hand, I had to QR once while using the strap.

The wrist strap MUST be large enough to avoid lock-in and to be able to quickly remove your hand at any time. It's not hard, if you try..... famous last words? ;-) All you have to do is open your hand, thus letting the strap (and bar) go.

Velcro - I considered it, did not have anything handy. Maybe next time. But opening the velcro as in the picture requires the other hand (not safe if you ask me; whereas to get out of my simple strap, just open your hand). The idea of a detachable wrist strap could however be implemented in other ways.

Death loop - yes sounds scary, never had one. Equipment failure can be prevented as well, at least to some degree (replace older parts, ride underpowered, mow the lawn, avoid difficult conditions etc).

Ergonomically, wrist straps are extremely good at dealing with relatively low forces for long periods of time. At the same time,
safety is of paramount concern, and your mileage may vary.

If opening your hand to let go seems unreliable to you, a very safe version is likely doable. Just one idea, use an attachment method - thin line, rubber, plastic - that is guaranteed to break above X pounds of force. Finally... you can have a wrist strap on your bar and use it sparingly, or not at all. User beware.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:57 pm

seriously, dump the idea, that's darwin awards stuff there for sure. Go to gym and buy kites with less bar pressure - problem solved. When shit happens, it usually happens fast, otherwise it wouldn't become a situation in the first place.

Mad_dan
Medium Poster
Style: Bigair and airstyle
Gear: Core XR4 13.5
Core GTS3 11m
Core GTS4 9m
Core XR 6m
Tronic.
Naish mega
Airrush slayer
Airsusv sector
Crazyfly cruizer
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mad_dan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:06 pm

piccio wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:37 am
most dangerous arrangement you can do .......follow the nerves going from hand to spine (a good therapist) ....release the entrapment......between scapola where there is the problem that causes pain down the hand
Please explain more about the entrapment. I got tenosynovittes (intersection syndrom) in both wrists three yars a go. Still painfull in the underarms and all the way up to the shulders. Kiting gives me kramps in the elbow areas to while kiting for some time. Cant find anything wrong on MRI or ultra sound imaging.

Return to “Kitesurfing”