Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2018 Naish Slash

Forum for kitesurfers
Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2018 Naish Slash

Postby Dirk » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 am

Similar to the 2018. Had my 7m out for half a day now with a TT in changing conditions from being under powered to very powered.
I think there is a lot of info concerning the 2018 model in this thread.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:31 pm

riddim1 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:49 am
Can anyone report on or know of any good reviews for the 2019 Slash?

New colours look awesome but would like to know how it handles.
Maybe we should make another thread for it? I think there is a huge improvement....and yea it looks spectacular.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:48 am

Read through this thread - still could use clarification: Pivot or Slash? 10m size as large kite for 150 lb rider, mostly on SB, but sometimes on TT jumping. Which kite turns faster? Which kite depowers better on wave? Difference in boost & float between the two? Difference in low end between the two? The Pivot is obviously the better known, more popular kite, but is there really that much difference between the Slash & the Pivot?

Thanks!

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:33 am

Talking about last year’s Slash & Pivot, but without having flown a 10m, there are clear differences between both kites, they definitely fly and feel differently. If you have to chance to test them back to back, you should. I think there might be a chance that the Pivot is the most efficient size here in 10m – both Kevin & Jalou are seen riding it in nice waves but lower wind conditions. But I haven’t ridden the Pivot 10m, so can’t really confirm. In any case, here’s my (hypothetical) thoughts based on riding 7’s (Pivot/Slash) & 9’s (Slash):

- Turning speed: as stated in this thread, both turn equally fast more or less, but differently. The Slash has a bit of a wider arc and a slight pull in the turn; the Pivot pivots around its wingtip without much pull, but then has more pull/grunt in general. Maybe on a 10m in waves, a pivoting kite without too much pull is preferable.
- Boost/hangtime: Pivot is the better / easier jumper TT-kite: very easy sheet in and fly, lots of hangtime. Slash needs some more work/timing but jumps nicely when sent right. Less hangtime than the Pivot.
- Low end: in the lower range of 10m winds, the Pivot will probably have the more accessible low end – more grunt, easier/better upwind
- Depower in waves: Slash totally depowers, better than the Pivot. Slash also will drift better – park & forget when riding the wave. Pivot will seek edge of the window/start dropping a bit sooner.

What is your next size down, and what kind of winds do you want to ride? If you have the money, for waves/SB get a 10m Pivot for 12-16 knots and then an 8m + 6m Slash for the good days with decent winds. And if you really have cash to spare, also get a 7m Pivot for boosting on a TT in 30+ knots :-).

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:42 am

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:48 am
Read through this thread - still could use clarification: Pivot or Slash? 10m size as large kite for 150 lb rider, mostly on SB, but sometimes on TT jumping. Which kite turns faster? Which kite depowers better on wave? Difference in boost & float between the two? Difference in low end between the two? The Pivot is obviously the better known, more popular kite, but is there really that much difference between the Slash & the Pivot?

Thanks!
The 10 pivot for boosting. It's a gnarly kite. Pivot is more grunty, but the slash way easier on a wave. I'd venture to say pivot on turning speed, but both are fast kites..

Once you ride them the is definitely a ton of differences between the kites. I have a mixed quiver, and love both.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Yes - guess that is what I have gathered from following this thread. The thing that I am having a hard time with is: a fast turning pivoting kite is the best for waves ... but so is a drifting kite without too much pull through the turn. I would expect the Slash to have ALL those characteristics & the Pivot to be slower turning, with more pull (but better for boost & float & better low end). That would be the logical thing in my mind. The kite is not for me, but for my daughter, who's an experienced TT rider but just starting out on a SB. She would use the 10m for everything, as her "large" kite. Personally, I ride Cabos, which are fast turning, drifting kites but definitely lacking in jumping ability & low end pull. I'm curious to try the Slash &/or Pivot for comparison to the Cabos, but not really much concerned about jumping ability myself.

I have the possibility to buy a 2018 10m Slash for $300 less than a 2018 10m Pivot - that's the crux of the question: I'm thinking the 10m Pivot is, all-around, the better choice ... but is it $300 better? The other alternative would be to buy a used 2017 Pivot.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:45 pm
The kite is not for me, but for my daughter, who's an experienced TT rider but just starting out on a SB. She would use the 10m for everything, as her "large" kite.
If it is meant as the large kite, it sounds like it is for lighter winds. In that case check out the Boxer if you have a chance.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi Flyboy, What is the predominant wind direct, where you and your daughter Kite ? if it's mostly cross on, or on shore then the Slash as her largest kite would be a good choice, reason, The Slash with it's thicker deeper profile towards the tips, presents more lift when low in the sky, this keeps it in the air, also known by that marketing term Drift ! this helps when gybing , carving off a wave towards the kite, by helping the kite stay in the air when the lines go a bit slack. giving you time to recover. most of the new "Freeride/Wave" kites do this, but most kites designed as Wave Kites have this design feature.
If the local winds are cross off, or cross shore, then either kite will be great, as neither kite is Drifting, when riding down the line. the wave is moving toward the beach so is the kite, and is generating apparent wind.
If your daughter is going to be using here SB for general riding, boosting, learning tacks , gybes, then I think the choice would be 60/40 Pivot, Slash.
p.s. I reckon I'll upset a few people with my take on "Drift" !!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:58 pm

jonysan wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:12 pm
Hi Flyboy, What is the predominant wind direct, where you and your daughter Kite ? if it's mostly cross on, or on shore then the Slash as her largest kite would be a good choice, reason, The Slash with it's thicker deeper profile towards the tips, presents more lift when low in the sky, this keeps it in the air, also known by that marketing term Drift ! this helps when gybing , carving off a wave towards the kite, by helping the kite stay in the air when the lines go a bit slack. giving you time to recover. most of the new "Freeride/Wave" kites do this, but most kites designed as Wave Kites have this design feature.
If the local winds are cross off, or cross shore, then either kite will be great, as neither kite is Drifting, when riding down the line. the wave is moving toward the beach so is the kite, and is generating apparent wind.
If your daughter is going to be using here SB for general riding, boosting, learning tacks , gybes, then I think the choice would be 60/40 Pivot, Slash.
p.s. I reckon I'll upset a few people with my take on "Drift" !!
We don't kite at the same place ... but in any case it's not Maui, or One Eye, so yes, it's mostly cross-on, or onshore. But my understanding of "drift" is the opposite of yours. To me, drift means the ability of the kite to stay aloft & controllable when you're moving towards the kite & therefore slackening the lines. Surely, this happens more in side-shore conditions you are going "down the line", ie. moving towards the kite without moving the kite much. In onshore conditions you are generally sweeping the kite all the way through the power window with each turn - bottom turn or off the lip - & the apparent wind created by moving the kite keeps it aloft.

I'm pretty convinced that a Pivot would be the most appropriate choice ... but given that the Slash is a lot less expensive, is the Slash a close enough equivalent to make it a more realistic option?

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi, I think we both agree on the ability of a kite to stay in the sky when the lines are momentarily slack, being called Drift. Personally I find that in side shore conditions, top end bottom turning toward the kite, that if the kite is well powered then I can hook the turns to keep tension in the lines if needed, all the time the kites is either turning or static, but moving across the wind. When riding in onshore conditions, and "surfing" along the wave I want the kite to depower just enough to stop me being pulled off the wave, and also to allow me to get back up the wave to top turn , and not to much power in the kite which widens the bottom turn. so Ideally the lines are going to be slack at some times, and at this point if the kite stays in the air, and Drifts back toward the beach then great. I may be completely wrong! I often am !

The two kites are pretty damn close, but I get the feeling if you bought the Slash, you would always be thinking the Pivot could do a better job of more things. remember. five years ago the good guys where doing better than us , on "dated" equipment !

Return to “Kitesurfing”