Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:07 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:44 pm
pj sofine wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:07 am

Don't fret,your reading comprehension will increase with practice! :allbegood:
Here you go, smartypants. So, piss off with your air temp readings.

Kisses.
FYI Combined air temp + water temp is a real thing, he meant for temp of water+air inferior to 75F.
Like in December when air is F35 and water F40is not the same as in late February with air F35 and water F33 ... Though I prefer talking about air temp in Winter vs Spring. Also water temp isn't a big deal until you self rescue, which becomes a huge deal... Also when water freeze on the bar that's overkill, did it only once for the sport probably won't do it again.

For OP in air 35 water 40, I can do NP mission 6/5/4 and I add a 2mm hoodie on top. It's really warm core wise, usually the issue for me are gloves, big gloves are warm but get forearm fatigue, This season I will try some 3mm. I have heard good thing of Xcel dry lock glove but I got some 3mm pre curve at Real kiteboarding the other day (patagonia I think)
I don’t doubt that it’s used, my only point (which was not even my original point, namely, “may I have a temperature range from you instead, please?”), was that it wasn’t necessary in order to choose a wetsuit. If it wasn’t for that kind of douche behaviour threads wouldn’t get completely screwed up and sidetracked. Behaving like some twat behind the keyboard. Honestly..

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Winter wetsuit recommendations

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Onda wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:45 pm
I am very picky with wetsuits.
My absolute favorourite at the moment is the XCEL Revolt 5-4.
It´s very warm, 10 °C air / 12 °C water is no problem at all. I wear the 5 mm Rip-Curl Flash Bomb boots at these conditions, maybe a 2 mm neoprene hood.
The Revolt is very lightweight, it is drying very fast (after 10 hours hanging in my bathroom at 20 °C without a fan it is 99 % dry) and it is very flexible and soft. And, having used another XCEL suit for four years, these suits lasts really long.
Totally agree that you should be picky. Lots of really good brands and very wide range of prices. You will definitely benefit from breaking a sweat by trying on a bunch. I’m glad OP didn’t want drysuit recommendations. Neoprene has gotten so good these days there doesn’t seem much point in picking a dry suit unless you’re doing the ice berg tack.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jeromeL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:30 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm
jeromeL wrote:
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Here you go, smartypants. So, piss off with your air temp readings.

Kisses.
FYI Combined air temp + water temp is a real thing, he meant for temp of water+air inferior to 75F.
Like in December when air is F35 and water F40is not the same as in late February with air F35 and water F33 ... Though I prefer talking about air temp in Winter vs Spring. Also water temp isn't a big deal until you self rescue, which becomes a huge deal... Also when water freeze on the bar that's overkill, did it only once for the sport probably won't do it again.

For OP in air 35 water 40, I can do NP mission 6/5/4 and I add a 2mm hoodie on top. It's really warm core wise, usually the issue for me are gloves, big gloves are warm but get forearm fatigue, This season I will try some 3mm. I have heard good thing of Xcel dry lock glove but I got some 3mm pre curve at Real kiteboarding the other day (patagonia I think)
I don’t doubt that it’s used, my only point (which was not even my original point, namely, “may I have a temperature range from you instead, please?”), was that it wasn’t necessary in order to choose a wetsuit. If it wasn’t for that kind of douche behaviour threads wouldn’t get completely screwed up and sidetracked. Behaving like some twat behind the keyboard. Honestly..
Don't worry too much about it, don't get upset, those forum always get side tracked lol. A lot of people have opinion and a lot of it is personal anyway.

sorry didn't read the whole history. Yes giving a proper temperature range is better when asking for suggestion. A lot of people don't even give a temperature point and just ask for wetsuit recommendation.

below 65 Combined gets really cold though.My lowest was air 25 and water 38 and will never do it again, actually my core was fine but gloves didn't hold.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:16 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:30 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm
jeromeL wrote:

Don't worry too much about it, don't get upset, those forum always get side tracked lol. A lot of people have opinion and a lot of it is personal anyway.

sorry didn't read the whole history. Yes giving a proper temperature range is better when asking for suggestion. A lot of people don't even give a temperature point and just ask for wetsuit recommendation.

below 65 Combined gets really cold though.My lowest was air 25 and water 38 and will never do it again, actually my core was fine but gloves didn't hold.
Hey, it’s no big deal. Just a shame when the tone hits the gutter. Of course..I did join in. Hehe.

I’m surprised with what I can get away with in my 5/4 with thermal top and leggings. I think my coldest air temperature has maybe been -10 with windchill. Always a shorter session of course, but the windchill protection is stellar. For thrills though it still beats the winter bathing I see further down the beach.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:25 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:16 pm

I’m surprised with what I can get away with in my 5/4 with thermal top and leggings. I think my coldest air temperature has maybe been -10 with windchill. Always a shorter session of course, but the windchill protection is stellar. For thrills though it still beats the winter bathing I see further down the beach.
I have never tried a thermal top, it's a layer you put under the wetsuit? It stays semi dry?
I add the 2mm hoodie on top of my 6/5/4 wetsuit. the hoodie cuts the wind, and the wetsuit is front zip so I stay really dry. Somehow I never wipeout when the session are that cold, I am really focused on those days ;)

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:52 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:25 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:16 pm

I have never tried a thermal top, it's a layer you put under the wetsuit? It stays semi dry?
I add the 2mm hoodie on top of my 6/5/4 wetsuit. the hoodie cuts the wind, and the wetsuit is front zip so I stay really dry. Somehow I never wipeout when the session are that cold, I am really focused on those days ;)
I know EXACTLY what you mean. The trick is not turning yourself into the human ice cube. I’m lucky to live in an area with small islands so most of the time I can choose how much spray I’m willing to take. Generally, freestyle practice gets down prioritised for some cruising and landgap takeons. I don’t know if you have a routine in those conditions, but I try to aim for 15-20 minute tacks and then back to the beach to have little wiggle of the toes and a stretch.

Your 6/5/4 setup sounds rock solid. I think I might drop the windsurf protection for a warmer suit all-round when that day comes. My mind was blown when I got the 3/2 zipless earlier this year. Hands down best suit I’ve ever had. The freedom of movement alone makes it my number 1. I might just have a week or two more left this year to enjoy it.

I can highly recommend looking into thermal tops and leggings. With respect to tops I think there’s a wide selection but loom for ones made of this “Bi_Poly” material. It functions like a thicker rash guard and/or additional warmth under the suit. Very comfortable and if you stay out of the drink you maybe just have a few numb toes. I live in Denmark where everything is expensive and they are definitely affordable here. Quality ones as well. Wouldn’t be surprised if you can find just as good at better rates..

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Merino wool under my 5/4 makes all the difference. Stays warm when wet and seems to add like another 10 degrees of range to the suite.

AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot

Postby AirConnolly » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm

5/4 Xcel Drylock with a hood gets me through the winter in NY for kite and surf. Water temps can get down to the 30s F and air temps range from 20s to 50s F depending on the day. The brand name manufacturers are all pretty good (Xcel, Isurus, Patagucci, Rip Curl, Oneill), but it all comes down to fit for you. When you know what suit you want, you can often find cheap ones online from last season.

I agree with JeromeL that the forearm fatigue hits first with gloves/lobster mitts on in the cold weather. I picked up a pair of Xcel's Anti Glove, but haven't tested them in the coldest conditions yet.

Onthewater860
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy point, napatree, harbor of refuge RI
Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot rally 9,12 turbo 17
Placebo 140x43

Postby Onthewater860 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:27 pm

I rock a Patagonia r4 wetsuit when combined temp is that low along with a spray top for wind break and love the cheap glacier gloves. They last for a wile but at $20 Idk if I trash them. And 5mm boots.

Return to “Kitesurfing”