any tips for boat launch or similar?

Forum for kitesurfers
supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk
Brand Affiliation: None

any tips for boat launch or similar?

Postby supachip1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:13 pm

i tried today for the 1st time off a mates paddle board...didnt go so well.

As i was unwinding the bar the kite took some wind i pulled me off the board, i forgot my boots so wasnt able to properly put my feet down so followed the kite, with the line being slack the bridles got hooked up, i managed to undo it with a couple of yanks and was away body dragging back the my board then the kite fell down, this time it wrapped round the wing tip so i chucked the safety and we came back in.

i have to say i should have planned it more, but we wanted to give it a go....any tips for tomorrows attempt are welcomed

thanks

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Re: any tips for boat launch or similar?

Postby jeromeL » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:46 pm

There are many techniques but for the one you used I wouldn't let go of kite and unwind bar like this with all line slack.
A variation of you technique: you keep kite close to you leashing it to pump leash (or other) while you unwind bar slowly and let the slack go downwind with current. Then you can push leading edge down filling canopy with water and let the kite drift downwind while hold the flag line letting it go slowly. You want 1 line under tension so kite doesn't catch wind.

There are many other technique depends on whether you can stand or not, current and wind condition.
But overall for drift launch it's better to always have 1 line under tension so kite doesn't catch wind unexpectedly.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:15 pm

I like this video, though I agree with jeromeL on putting water on the canopy to help it drift further downwind before starting to turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1AKlK2gxXA

And assuming you'd like to return to the boat...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA1rda7r0zU

supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk

Postby supachip1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:13 am

yes these clips are how it was planned in my head....reality was slightly different!!, i didnt even think to youtube it..doh!

thanks

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leucate - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force - North
Brand Affiliation: Owner of KSV little brand
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi,
I made some boat launch experiences and I'm designing some accessories that could help on that matters.
Please be welcome to take a look on my website: http://kitesurfvoilier.fr/en, you could find some info/idea and demos on the "On board Kite" Section: http://kitesurfvoilier.fr/en/on-board-kite/
Any feedback and / or remark is welcome :)

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:11 pm

I've done a lot of kite launches off of boats of various sizes and jet skis. IMHO, a "boat launch" and a "paddleboard launch" are two different animals. A paddleboard really doesn't have enough stability to be of any benefit beyond providing flotation to keep you out of the water until the kite is downwind and beginning to power up. At that point, you're gonna' get pulled off the paddleboard 9 times out of 10. Disclaimer: I've never tried to launch a kite off of a paddleboard, but it's not something that I really want to do. "Boat launches" are safer and easier, and the videos in the earlier posts are useful if you are so inclined.

Return to “Kitesurfing”