Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboarding Rules-of-Navigation Video

Postby Lokihel » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:58 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:05 am
I am picturing a kiter ploughing through others shouting "starboard!" :-0 you could do it all day long mowing the lawn, on the trick spot. Epic!
It's called match racing :D
If you're so good at match racing that the others get upset and start yelling at you to get out of their way, it means you're the best.
Just remember to yell "STARBOARD" and flip them off as they crash out of your way.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 am

Spot on, and make sure to spray their sorry asses when you're shouting STARBOARD at them :D

That's why racing has their own, more complicated set of rules: special situation, makes it more interesting, and all the racers know the rules.

The "give way to outgoing kiter" rule is simple: outgoing is going through the shore break, which makes it more difficult to control in usual side-on and onshore conditions. Incoming kiter can always gybe and give way.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:56 pm

alamos_kiter wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 am
The "give way to outgoing kiter" rule is simple: outgoing is going through the shore break, which makes it more difficult to control in usual side-on and onshore conditions. Incoming kiter can always gybe and give way.
Incoming rider CANNOT always jibe and give way. The best example of this is the case for a strapped rider in overhead conditions, or for chest high when considering a strapless rider. A rider with the bad luck to be right at the wave when it has gone vertical is more likely to get stopped by that wave resulting in a crash, then having some time down in the water as the "least maneuverable vessel". If facing down a vertical wave you cannot get over, you now have the right of way to jibe and get out of its way.

Point is, when YOU assume "right of way", YOU are responsible to watch the "give way" rider as they may quickly assume the "right of way" from you by a crash, or being forced into a wave they cannot safely get over. It is a dynamic situation. Having the "right of way"' means you could lose it at any time. Not having the right of way means you could gain it at any time.
Last edited by Matteo V on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:04 pm

grigorib wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:47 pm
edt wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:26 pm
2) land is hard, give way to riders going out.
This one seems pretty logical for vessels which can float indefinitely in water and are safer at water than by land.
But it doesn't make much sense for humans which are safer, faster and more maneuverable when standing. Imagine swimming pool saying swimmers entering the pool/lake have right of way because swimmers in water have "more freedom". Doesn't make very good sense, does it?
1. Land presents more danger to kiteboarders than water does. Look up kite accidents on YouTube. You will see pros accidents happen while pushing the limits of possibility on the water. Everyone else, you and me, will have our accidents on land at the launch.

2. If a kiter on the water has the right of way to stay right in front of the beach, they could indefinitely hold other kiters from getting out to the water. Imagine 1 pro, 5 intermediates, and 2 beginners standing on small beach with their kites in the air waiting for a kiter on the water to let them out. Not a good outcome on that one.

We let outgoing have the right of way to allow the dispersion of kiters. Kiters, save racers, do not do well when confined in a small space - be it land or water. Typically, there is much more room out on the water than on the beach.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jeromeL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:48 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:04 pm
grigorib wrote:
edt wrote:
This one seems pretty logical for vessels which can float indefinitely in water and are safer at water than by land.
But it doesn't make much sense for humans which are safer, faster and more maneuverable when standing. Imagine swimming pool saying swimmers entering the pool/lake have right of way because swimmers in water have "more freedom". Doesn't make very good sense, does it?
1. Land presents more danger to kiteboarders than water does. Look up kite accidents on YouTube. You will see pros accidents happen while pushing the limits of possibility on the water. Everyone else, you and me, will have our accidents on land at the launch.

2. If a kiter on the water has the right of way to stay right in front of the beach, they could indefinitely hold other kiters from getting out to the water. Imagine 1 pro, 5 intermediates, and 2 beginners standing on small beach with their kites in the air waiting for a kiter on the water to let them out. Not a good outcome on that one.

We let outgoing have the right of way to allow the dispersion of kiters. Kiters, save racers, do not do well when confined in a small space - be it land or water. Typically, there is much more room out on the water than on the beach.
Don't launch your kite until water is clear so you can get out right away... If someone is coming in land them.
When you come back to beach land.

I have seen a few case of people asking for launch when clearly either someone is about to launch upwind of them or closer to water, or when someone is about to come in...

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:05 am

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:56 pm
Incoming rider CANNOT always jibe and give way. The best example of this is the case for a strapped rider in overhead conditions, or for chest high when considering a strapless rider....
C'mon, that's purely academic. In overhead conditions, you make sure your way is free when you're going out. You don't ride into an incoming rider in high waves on the back of some rule, unless you are a complete idiot. And on a wave I can always quickly gybe 'n gybe back with the kite low, to get a line length downwind and out of the way.

Nevertheless, going out through shore break is harder than coming in with wind in the sail and speed. So: coming in should give way to the guy fighting his way out. It's always been like that.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:44 am

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:04 pm
grigorib wrote:
edt wrote:
...Imagine 1 pro, 5 intermediates, and 2 beginners standing on small beach with their kites in the air waiting for a kiter on the water to let them out. Not a good outcome on that one.
Funny but if you imagine 1 pro, 5 intermediates and 2 beginners trying to land and waiting for someone on water next to beach fooling around and calling it "getting out". That situation would suck not less.

I get the rule, I too want to have a clear beach before coming in

A good logical rule would be - don't hang out and don't show off in water near the launch, be a newbie or a pro - it's hindering everyone's ability to come in and out.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:24 am

Haven't watched vids or looked at comments........simple answer=stay upwind of kooks.
Kooks can easily be identified;
Leashes
Go Joes ( sorry or)
Helmets
Foil kites
Goggles
Sketchy launches from gf
Twin tips in ocean
Down winders In perfect conditions
Riding core

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:27 am

I love a twin tip in the ocean. And Downwinders. And foil kites. I'm getting a little bit of a kooky feeling but it's not enough.

I am missing a sketchy launch from a kite gf. That's what I need.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:58 am

edt wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:27 am
I love a twin tip in the ocean. And Downwinders. And foil kites. I'm getting a little bit of a kooky feeling but it's not enough.

I am missing a sketchy launch from a kite gf. That's what I need.
Nobody said kite gf.

Return to “Kitesurfing”