evanlo
Rare Poster
Gear: north rebels, 150 mako and caution trespass
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Shoulder Replacement

Postby evanlo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:40 am

I'm 60 years old and destined for a shoulder replacement in one month. I love to kite and hope to continue.
Pretty freaked out.

Anyone out there had a full shoulder replacement and continued to kite?
Or does anyone know of anyone who came back to kiting after a shoulder replacement?

Thanks.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Shoulder Replacement

Postby tautologies » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:43 am

evanlo wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:40 am
I'm 60 years old and destined for a shoulder replacement in one month. I love to kite and hope to continue.
Pretty freaked out.

Anyone out there had a full shoulder replacement and continued to kite?
Or does anyone know of anyone who came back to kiting after a shoulder replacement?

Thanks.

I can't really help you in terms of knowing what will happen (sorry), but I would assume that your shoulder should be better after surgery? It will probably take time, but being good at retraining is probably pretty critical.

I do know a lot of people that did a variety of surgeries on their shoulders and it always got better.
In any case, good luck. I am rooting for you.

Kemperman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 78
Style: Big air, freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebel, North Orbit

Postby Kemperman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:54 am

What kind of shoulder replacement are you getting? A reversed total schoulder or a normal total shoulder. Most people won't be able to regain complete range of motion (90-140 degrees instead of 180 degrees). Depowering could be a problem.

ldmelo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m

Postby ldmelo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:12 am

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Best of luck with your surgery, evanlo. Make sure your doctor knows how active you are and that you intend on continuing with kiting. Maybe that will impact the actual method or implant he uses. If you haven't done so, I'd get multiple opinions on the surgery and ask each doctor how it is done. I had a rotator cuff repaired last year, even though it was standard surgery, 3 doctors had 3 slightly different methods. Each impacted rehab time and how early I could start PT. It was very valuable to talk to all 3 and make my own decision. (if you haven't done that, do so, even if you already have a surgery date. you can cancel that if you find a surgeon you like better)

Having said that, keep in mind you are not likely to find a surgeon who understands kiteboarding. As much as I tried to explain the mechanics to my doctor, they don't have the time to really pay attention. He kept calling it "windsurfing" and when I reminded him it was kitesurfing he assumed that I was hanging on to the kite for dear life and was much more conservative in his advice. i.e. he didn't really undestand how harnesses work and that the sport does not require huge upper body strength. Granted, there is always a risk of doing an unintentional superman, but you'll just choose your first sessions carefully. My first session after surgery was a 12M strapless day with with moderate wind. Very forgiving.

You'll do fine. Make sure they know you will kite and you are not a crazy thrill seeker. (i.e. lie :) ) And do all your rehab PT exercises with a vengeance.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Kemperman wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:54 am
What kind of shoulder replacement are you getting? A reversed total schoulder or a normal total shoulder. Most people won't be able to regain complete range of motion (90-140 degrees instead of 180 degrees). Depowering could be a problem.
I'm not clear what motion he loses, but can he switch from a bar with above-the-bar depower to below-the-bar depower? Would one be better for him?

evanlo
Rare Poster
Gear: north rebels, 150 mako and caution trespass

Postby evanlo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:48 am

thanks for the input
the video of the one-armed kiter is awesome

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:34 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:40 pm
Kemperman wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:54 am
I'm not clear what motion he loses, but can he switch from a bar with above-the-bar depower to below-the-bar depower? Would one be better for him?
Or probably even better: the Ocean Rodeo / North back line trim bars.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:06 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 pm
I'd get multiple opinions on the surgery and ask each doctor how it is done
Good call. I did not do that in my last Achilles re-attachment surgery so my foot is now numb as they cut nerves. My stitches also opened up. I'm not blaming the doctors entirely as I started kiting about 6 months early. Though I doubt the nerve damage happened as a result of that. Same with the stitches. I guess there is always a certain amount of risk, but by being informed you might improve your probabilities.

Return to “Kitesurfing”