2015 Cabrinha Switchblade 14M
Mystic Warrior Harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

cant reach full depower

Postby Duke15 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:30 pm

Hello,

Just got back from aruba and one thing i noticed is whenever i try to fully sheet out i have to arch my back to try and reach full depower. I have short arms and feel as though I constantly have my arms fully stretched which is causing the poo stance. I was riding a14m 2015 switchblade in 12-17kt winds. Any tips on how to make it so i dont have to reach as far to depower.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: cant reach full depower

Postby edt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:53 pm

shorten the chicken loop, there are replacement loops you can buy (talk to your local kite shop if you can't do this mod yourself) and change from a spreader bar to one of those sliding spreaders or switch to a seat harness, these mods should give you about 3 inches/ 8cm which I think is enough. there are other options too, like buying a new control bar which has an adjustable stop, lots of new bars have this capability, but of course you are giving up a little bit of depower this way.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:55 pm

11995163.jpg
11995163.jpg (86.16 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
Make your chicken loop smaller.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Assuming you are on a TT:
When dealing with more power from the kite:
0. Possibly (I dont know your weight) you want to depower/trim the kite a bit when you notice the pull from the kite is on the upper end of what you can handle comfortably.
1. Bend you knees and get your ass and weight closer to the heelside edge of your board.
2. Drive your board even more in upwind direction to control speed.
You will notice that you can handle way more power as soon as you have mastered the above.

When your arms are really short you might what to change something in your gear. There are multiple options:
- Use a shorter chicken loop and/or a shorter harnass hook.
- Use a seat harness
- Use a kite type known for the short power-depower range
If you don't unhook:
- Use a Boardriding Maui CCS or something like it to bring the bar closer to the body (and loose the harness hook) (Like posted above while I was writing)

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:49 pm

You should already be riding with your arms fully stretched and hanging back in your harness so that you don't get tendonitis, with the bar somewhat close to your body. If you need to depower more than you can reach, it sounds like you need to pull more trim in (that's what it's there for). Riding with the bar fully sheeted out is a bit of an anti-technique unless you're in the middle of surfing a wave or something.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm

You can also set up rear lines on the last knot.

rjkritzer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lakes Bay
Favorite Beaches: OBX, TCI, Jersey Shore, St. Croix
Gear: Kitelement split board, Cabrinha SB (6, 9, 12) Contra 15m. LF Impulse Foil, Clouds

Postby rjkritzer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 pm

I had the same problem and switched to a Cabrinha Fireball, instead of the chicken loop, and a Cabrinha Recoil bar. The fireball seems to be closer to the body than standard chicken loops I had used previously. The Recoil bar idea came from a video I saw on a popular website where the issue of shorter arms was specifically addressed (don't know if I am allowed to say the name here).

I am very happy with this setup and can now comfortably reach the full depower position.

Duke15
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Simcoe
Gear: 2012 North Rebel 7M
2012 Cabrinha Vector 12M
2015 Cabrinha Switchblade 14M
Mystic Warrior Harness
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Duke15 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Peert wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:10 pm
Assuming you are on a TT:
When dealing with more power from the kite:
0. Possibly (I dont know your weight) you want to depower/trim the kite a bit when you notice the pull from the kite is on the upper end of what you can handle comfortably.
1. Bend you knees and get your ass and weight closer to the heelside edge of your board.
2. Drive your board even more in upwind direction to control speed.
You will notice that you can handle way more power as soon as you have mastered the above.

When your arms are really short you might what to change something in your gear. There are multiple options:
- Use a shorter chicken loop and/or a shorter harnass hook.
- Use a seat harness
- Use a kite type known for the short power-depower range
If you don't unhook:
- Use a Boardriding Maui CCS or something like it to bring the bar closer to the body (and loose the harness hook) (Like posted above while I was writing)
Awesome thanks for the info I’ll try to shorten the chicken loop, I’m 5’7” 170lbs and was on a twin tip. I tried my friends north clickbar on his 17m and didn’t seem to have the same issue, wondering if the bar is part of the problem, maybe a bar with lighter pressure would be better for me

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 pm

I see that you have a North Rebel 7 sqm 2012...so you have a loaded 5th Element bar to match
That's the best kite set-up to get full depower for short arms...requires having to push the bar 1/3 less for depowering a kite compared regular linear bars

May i suggest to get yourself a Rebel size 14 sqm year 2017-2016-2015 or 2014 and use the bar you have...problem solved

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Rebel...good suggest..short depower ..

Return to “Kitesurfing”