Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Question for Toby

Postby edt » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Would be sad if this site with all its info and help to other fellow kiteboarders die one day.
That's what will happen if god forbid a shark eats you, unless you explicitly set something up. Every day stuff just disappears from the internet.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:23 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:17 pm
Toby runs a great forum

if you have been in other forums you know both too much censorship is just as bad as not enough

only thing Toby does wrong is he does to much himself. he could get free volunteers to be mods and leave more time for him to kite! also if Toby got run over by a bus the forum would probably die I don't think he has anyone that could step in.

I second that! Toby is the reason why the entire kiteboard/surf community has this immense data base for us to draw from and contribute to. From beginner questions, to advanced issues, along with kiteboarding access and public relations, this forum is the best resource for kiteboard/surf knowledge. On top of that all, he allows all opinions and views to be expressed here. That is something, which society as a whole, is losing at an alarming rate. I bet Toby will be one of the last holdouts against those who seek to curb the speech of those who hold different opinions.

timothymcmackin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Living in Durham, NC. Planning to kite mostly around Wilmington, NC.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby timothymcmackin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Toby wrote:
do people really get offended by PMU?
It's not that jokers like him offend me, it's that he comes into threads that are not focused on comparing foils and SLEs and inserts a copy-pasted screed that we've all heard by now, doesn't contribute anything, and derails the conversation. And of course, the real trolls that talk trash get killfiled. As someone who's fairly green and doesn't get to kite very much, I'm here to learn from people with different experiences and viewpoints and to pick up stoke when I can't get out kiting, but I'm not going to learn anything from people who get confrontational because their attitude turns my mind against them and their arguments.

I think it's a real problem with internet forums: people who are trollish or confrontational drive away people who are there for a more measured conversation. It's why I left seabreeze, for one thing, and a number of other forums where the bad attitude outweighed the benefits. Look at the state of youtube comments, twitter, newspaper comment sections, and other public internet forums: if you don't encourage rational discussion, you let trolls chase away quality discussion and make forums into cesspools. Think about people browsing your forum for the first time; what do you want them to see?

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Toby, I hate to say it, but the internet is a transient medium. You need to publish the best of the forum as a physical book, multiple volumes would be best, something like a kite encyclopedia... I’m afraid everything else is dust to dust... books still matter! And you need someone who understands current book formats & publishing! Every kiter out there will buy a set! But it’s a huge undertaking; it will take a few years to put together . Think about it!

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:05 pm

timothymcmackin wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:49 pm
Toby wrote:
do people really get offended by PMU?
It's not that jokers like him offend me, it's that he comes into threads that are not focused on comparing foils and SLEs and inserts a copy-pasted screed that we've all heard by now, doesn't contribute anything, and derails the conversation. And of course, the real trolls that talk trash get killfiled. As someone who's fairly green and doesn't get to kite very much, I'm here to learn from people with different experiences and viewpoints and to pick up stoke when I can't get out kiting, but I'm not going to learn anything from people who get confrontational because their attitude turns my mind against them and their arguments.

I think it's a real problem with internet forums: people who are trollish or confrontational drive away people who are there for a more measured conversation. It's why I left seabreeze, for one thing, and a number of other forums where the bad attitude outweighed the benefits. Look at the state of youtube comments, twitter, newspaper comment sections, and other public internet forums: if you don't encourage rational discussion, you let trolls chase away quality discussion and make forums into cesspools. Think about people browsing your forum for the first time; what do you want them to see?
🙄it’s called human reality! Safe spaces are for ppl like you and Rocketman from NoKo🙄

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm

DWX wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:01 pm
a physical book
I've seen enough zombie movies to know that when civilization collapses nobody is gonna be reading books.

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:13 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm
DWX wrote:
a physical book
I've seen enough zombie movies to know that when civilization collapses nobody is gonna be reading books.
You’ve also seen too many shark attack movies! I know you are delusional... not sure you are telling me anything new

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:15 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm
DWX wrote:
a physical book
So let me get this straight: no books, but internet?! Look, either present a decent argument or shut up.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Everything I know I learned from watching movies. That's how I got so smart.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Timothy: agreed. Report such posts if you see them and I will take care of it.

Any current postings like that ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”