Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Risk vs reward... learning and progression at 40

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Risk vs reward... learning and progression at 40

Postby Flyboy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:14 pm

Just turning 60 in a week. At 40 I felt pretty much the same as I did at 20. I have been lucky not to suffer any serious injuries over the years - no dodgy knees/ankles etc. - but there's no question the body isn't capable of everything it was at a younger age.

The obvious thing for me is that for the last 7 or 8 years I have been exclusively riding a SB. I still occasionally jump, but it doesn't hold my interest for that long. What is endlessly fascinating is carving & wave riding, & that is a relatively low impact/low risk/high skill activity. I would recommend that direction for anyone who is concerned about smashing up their body with freestyle tricks.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:30 am

I'm young and very fit and I barely ride wakestyle anymore even though I used to love it, the whiplash just isn't worth it.

Hundreds of miniature whiplash episodes from wiping out at high speed adds up in the cervical and lumbar spines...

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bri7 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:34 am

learn some basics and get into wave riding.

44 and 3/4 now. Injuries last longer and you definitely slow down. Loads of stretching, try and keep a decent diet and stay in decent shape. No reason why you can't progress, but perhaps a realization that you won't be mega looping anytime soon. ;-)

Learn about your body and don't give up the pursuit of making gains however small they may seem.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:44 am

63 1/2 yo now, started at 50yo ...after a long windsurfing "career" after 1 year learned the waveboard thrill, never stepped on a TT anymore.
This year after a serious Cervical surgery to reduce the risk of being paralyzed , and out for a couple of month's, picked it up again, but one can notice that loosing condition at our age is going very fast, building it up again takes much longer.
One can feel that a surgery like that takes its toll, and the mindset changes too...but the water and wind are good healers.

Luckly, I was able to quit working at 58 yo, and can kite every day when I want...not bad and hoping for some years more ,;:=))
cheers
dude
Last edited by naishdude on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 am

kas911 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:35 pm
Remember: ALWAYS say no to hard drugs. They will f*ck you up completely!
YEP !!! :thumb:

A ((Little)) bit of Pot , and a even a Lesser amount of alcohol, will be OK , After your
kiting session is (Over) ; but please stay the hell away from me, if Ya think cocaine , THC-oil
Meth, or drinking beer while kiting, is gonna help your progression !! :nono:

JakeFarley wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:14 pm
...We have to know our limitations, but we sometimes have to exceed them in order to have fun, even if we are over 60 or 70...

NO you don't !!!

I'm 65 years old, and i don't have real legs, (their both fake) ; I must kite with
an exit-plan, for even the most basic of tricks. When i learned how to do a double
back-roll with a directional ; i didn't just Go-for-It, (a made a slow progression first)
by starting with almost no forward motion, (the dangle back-roll) so it did not
hurt when i crashed, and slowly added forward momentum as i got better.

Bottom line here is --- do your kiting and impress yourself first ; the better Ya get
the more the EGO can get satisfied -------------------- later.

I bin kiting since 2002 , (in the water) in 2003 ; i have Never bin injured .
WHY ?
Because i lost a lot of body parts with my hang glider over the years ; i already know
that i ain't very lucky. :(

I think there is not one person on this forum that can claim their having more fun
than ME, when i go kiting. Am i a goon-ball kiter ? YEP ----
If i Need a good EGO trip , then i'll break out my HG and fly with the best of them ;
but when i'm kiting , then it's all for me, and having a good time, (it's all that matters).

My last kiting session on land, was a few weeks ago ; nobody but ME was on Ivanpah, and
i had a BLAST !!! :D

Bille

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:26 am

junebug wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 pm
I have arthritis in the bones of the lumbar region of my spine, bulging disks exacerbated by the arthritis, and muscle weakness because the disks rest on nerves.
Sorry to hear and hope for a speedy recovery. Just out of curiosity, what attributed to the arthritis and bulging disks? Was it something external like a car accident? Do they have you doing any specific PT?

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:08 am

Plenty of my kiting friends are aged between 40 and 75. Do what you love to do and be smart about it to minimize the chance of injury. Personally I'm not into a bunch or tricks - I treat foiling like personal sailing and just like to go far fast.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 am

Bille wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 am

My last kiting session on land, was a few weeks ago ; nobody but ME was on Ivanpah, and
i had a BLAST !!! :D

Bille
One day I will turn up in Vegas and I will expect you to take me to Ivanpah so we rip some rediculous speeds in a kite buggy. I may even turn up with a speed landboard motorbike leathers and attempt a landboarding world record!......

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:20 pm

lindseym wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:26 am
junebug wrote:
I have arthritis in the bones of the lumbar region of my spine, bulging disks exacerbated by the arthritis, and muscle weakness because the disks rest on nerves.
Sorry to hear and hope for a speedy recovery. Just out of curiosity, what attributed to the arthritis and bulging disks? Was it something external like a car accident? Do they have you doing any specific PT?
Thanks. There isn't really recovery; just management of the symptoms. It's all genetic. Being hard on my body (mainly, running a bunch in my 20s and 30s) hasn't helped, but it was just a matter of time.

I take anti-inflammatory medicine and have a stretching routine that I do every day that the PT taught me a few years ago. Movement is good and it is best to have strong muscles around arthritic bones, so I try to do some form of regular exercise. About twice a year I will overdo something and be laid up in bed with back spasms for a few days. When that happens, I will go in to the doctor and get some muscle relaxers and opioids. Rinse and repeat.

Again, I know others have it much worse, and I'm not complaining. I'm lucky that I can still kiteboard (although it is mostly foiling these days); I just have to go for shorter sessions than I used to and stay as limber as possible.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 pm

junebug wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:20 pm
lindseym wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:26 am
junebug wrote:
Thanks. There isn't really recovery; just management of the symptoms. It's all genetic. Being hard on my body (mainly, running a bunch in my 20s and 30s) hasn't helped, but it was just a matter of time.

I take anti-inflammatory medicine and have a stretching routine that I do every day that the PT taught me a few years ago. Movement is good and it is best to have strong muscles around arthritic bones, so I try to do some form of regular exercise. About twice a year I will overdo something and be laid up in bed with back spasms for a few days. When that happens, I will go in to the doctor and get some muscle relaxers and opioids. Rinse and repeat.

Again, I know others have it much worse, and I'm not complaining. I'm lucky that I can still kiteboard (although it is mostly foiling these days); I just have to go for shorter sessions than I used to and stay as limber as possible.
Yea - my dad has rheumatoid arthritis and its definitely taken a toll but he has his good days and bad days. After seeing its effects I deeply sympathize for anyone with arthritis and like to learn as much as a can about it so as to avoid it as much as possible. It sounds like you have a solid control of it and are doing everything you need to do. You may also consider checking out some of the Wim Hof stuff (cold therapy). Its not much fun but pretty effective as an anti-inflammatory. For me, its helped reduce my allergy and asthma symptoms. I'm purchased the 10 week course awhile back but there's tons of free stuff online. Here's a vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKgUE76udK4
Aside from that, you may also explore trying out a ketosis diet. Again, this is something that's not fun...actually it sux...but its anti-inflammatory effects are supposed to be very strong. I have not tried it yet but will probably do it as a cleanse for during the year for a temporary period. Be well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”