Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone vs Core

Forum for kitesurfers
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:33 am

Core "quality" department might want to learn that last names should start with a capital letter.
Also, of course "seldom to see"...you don't bring frozen pizzas to Italy nor cans to Oktoberferst. Just as overpriced kites for snobs are strange guest in Slingy (and North) -land
Attachments
image.png

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:37 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:41 am

Unless you are psychic an XR5 can not be "exactly what our friend is looking for" because the OP has said virtually nothing about what he wants from a kite to replace his Rally other than that he has a twintip and that he wants to progress!
Well as it happens I am quite psychic which can get very embarrassing when I get pissed and read palms for the craic as those who know me can attest, however I didn't have to be psychic, because, oh look! our OP was actually asking about guess what? A Core XR5!
stenner wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 am

The other kite I'm considering is the Core XR5. By all accounts an excellent kite too. I know it's known for boosting but right now it's range is what appeals most.
Which kite would be best for my progression?
Last edited by CaptainCore on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bladesurfer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: HagaPark Öland Sweden
Style: Old school Boosting and looping.
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 13m
Ozone Edge V9 8m
Noblie 2HD 134*42.5
Brand Affiliation: Ozone local teamrider.

Postby Bladesurfer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Cant go wrong with either.
I use the Edge V9 witch is my favorite kite for big boosting.
Very simple kite with no hassle.
Here is a small clip from some time ago.
https://vimeo.com/250949170

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Isn't a Switchblade or Rebel just as much as a XR5? An Edge is actually more...just saying

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:14 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:37 pm
look! our OP was actually asking about guess what? A Core XR5!
The OP said:
stenner wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 am
I'm new to the sport, I can ride up wind and transition, self launch/land. Not sure where that puts me. My experience so far has been on a SS Rally. I want to buy a new kite. I have heard great things about Ozone kites and like that they have their own factory. The Catalyst seems nice but is it too much of a beginner's kite? I aspire to be a solid all around kiter with no desire to unhook. I use a twin- tip. The Enduro seems great too but is it too advanced or difficult to water relaunch?
The other kite I'm considering is the Core XR5. By all accounts an excellent kite too. I know it's known for boosting but right now it's range is what appeals most.
Which kite would be best for my progression?
So which out of the four kites mentioned above, Rally, Catalyst, Enduro and XR5:

1. Are "too much of a beginner's kite"?

2. Are "too advanced or difficult to water relaunch"?

3. Have a large wind "range"?

4. Would be best for the OPs "progression", and why?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
....however I didn't have to be psychic, because, oh look! our OP was actually asking about guess what? A Core XR5!

GraemeF is right here. While the OP is asking about kites in general, he also mentions two specific kites. As most posters have at least alluded to, the OP has likely bought into some of the hype. And that is OK! Feeling confident in your gear is important, no matter where the mechanism for that confidence is rooted. I may be of the mind that this is the worst reasoning for a purchase, but I cannot change, or talk someone else out of this rational.

Repeating myself again, but if really expensive gear does it for you, than that is simply what it takes to do it for you. The only caveat is when that premium costs you to the point where you have to sacrifice a kite size because you cannot afford the full range of kites. Think about the people in the US driving cars that they can barely afford.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm
CaptainCore wrote:
....however I didn't have to be psychic, because, oh look! our OP was actually asking about guess what? A Core XR5!

GraemeF is right here. While the OP is asking about kites in general, he also mentions two specific kites. As most posters have at least alluded to, the OP has likely bought into some of the hype. And that is OK! Feeling confident in your gear is important, no matter where the mechanism for that confidence is rooted. I may be of the mind that this is the worst reasoning for a purchase, but I cannot change, or talk someone else out of this rational.

Repeating myself again, but if really expensive gear does it for you, than that is simply what it takes to do it for you. The only caveat is when that premium costs you to the point where you have to sacrifice a kite size because you cannot afford the full range of kites. Think about the people in the US driving cars that they can barely afford.
Once again without wishing to be picky, the OP didnt ask for the best priced kite he asked for the Best kite and gave three examples, with an emphasis on range, so the XR5 is that kite. Now as for your own impecunious circumstance that appears to suggest they are 'really expensive' that also isnt really the case, certainly no more than other premium brands, ive no idea what the pricing structure is like in the states where they are the import up against local market brands like slinger and liquid force, but then they are not using European sourced materials like dyneema rather than spectra and canopy materials so may attract different duty and import taxes that hike the cost, that doesnt however deter from the added value of a typical Core lifespan which any school or repair centre wll tell you is considerably longer than others.

Now about my title, please call me Captain or sir in future, ill forgive you this time, but lets not have it happen again, that's a good chap. :wink:

good2go
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dallas, TX
Gear: Still shopping

Postby good2go » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm

I'm also in the process of buying my first kite. I'm in Dallas and at a weight of 200lbs I have to take those things into consideration. I will mostly be riding the local lakes and the occassional trip to Houston and other Gulf of Mexico destinations a few times this year. That's at least the plan until I get proficient enough to where I can launch/land the kite on my own.

See you out there.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:06 pm

good2go wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm
I'm also in the process of buying my first kite. I'm in Dallas and at a weight of 200lbs I have to take those things into consideration. I will mostly be riding the local lakes and the occassional trip to Houston and other Gulf of Mexico destinations a few times this year. That's at least the plan until I get proficient enough to where I can launch/land the kite on my own.

See you out there.
11m Rally would be the best long-term pick for you.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:07 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 pm
....impecunious circumstance.....

.....ive no idea what the pricing structure is like in the states where they are the import up against local market brands like slinger and liquid force, but then they are not using European sourced materials like dyneema rather than spectra
Sir GraemeF, or what ever new personal pronoun you should choose, I respect your "specialness".

Core is not much higher priced than most other brands upon initial offering. But you can't get a good deal on closeouts on them because Core under supplies the market. So cost is higher on average and availability low on Core kites, just as you have stated Core can have times of the year with low availability in the UK.

That is the business model for the high end kite industry. And Graemey has partially insinuated that core kites are built in Europe. To clarify, all of the large brand name kites are built in China, Vietnam, or Sri-Lanka - where Core, North, and Best were/are made. I thought that a company was trying to start in the Czech Republic, but I do not know if that went anywhere. But Seriously, Dyneema vs Spectra?????? Think Graemey can go into more detail about the differences there?

Return to “Kitesurfing”