Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

choosing twin tip size you give more importance to your weight or how much you are overpowered or underpowered?

Forum for kitesurfers
jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: choosing twin tip SIZE you give more importance to your weight or how much you are overpowered or underpowered?

Postby jeromeL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Archer77 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 pm
plummet wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 pm
Do you have choppy or flat water? do you like riding in waves? to you want upwind performance? do you want smooth through chop? do you want nice carving? do you want a sharp load and pop? do you want max jump height?
All these questions lead you to the type of board you should buy.
thank you all for the kind reply!

Plummet, Matteo V, edt, I understand what you mean, and I know all this multiples variables as I have learnt also here:

https://www.progression.me/blog/what-de ... kiteboard/

but at the moment I was trying to understand, if you have to choose on the exactly same model board(selected on all the spec up) speaking of a freeride twin tip, for the SIZE, you will give priority on the condition (over/under pw) or your weight? or maybe both equal... (make a particular case example if you prefer)

(ok I know too, that chop or flat water are making in any case a distinction them self)
Probably the ant to go smallest possible. Honestly a lot of big guys ride pretty small freeride model just fine. Even in slightly underpowered situation they work out and who wants to ride around in 11 knots on 14m anyway; it's not an extra 2cm that will make it worthwhile, maybe with a 148cm...
I learned on a freeride 135*39.5 at 175lb 78kg ish basically smallest model available, I could still go out in 12knots on 12m, I don't think a 138 would give me an edge. sime guys heavier than me use 133cm but way wider.
Anyway it's quite hard to give advise you need to try, I currently have a freestyle 138x39.5 ts way slower than my old board and a bit lower end too. So there is a lot of variable out there...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Re: choosing twin tip size you give more importance to your weight or how much you are overpowered or underpowered?

Postby downunder » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:07 am

Choosing a TT is not a task.

It's a process. It can take quite long time to marry one. Some will divorce sooner, some latter some never :)

There is no one size fits all. No way. If there is, we would agree one one ultimate board.

I'm not going to pimp my board coz that's useless...

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Re: choosing twin tip size you give more importance to your weight or how much you are overpowered or underpowered?

Postby dejavu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:28 am

Really good questions. I started with a 12m and 144 TT and as I progressed I bought larger and smaller kites. 8-19 I also experimented with boards, shapes/sizes/thickness. I now have 136 to 170 boards and can mix and match depending on conditions. Always take a couple of kite sizes and board sizes to the beach as the conditions do change. Having a diverse quiver allows max water time. Everything from a gentle cruise to fast powered up session.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:05 pm

Of course there are many factors for choosing a TT.
Personally I would set for the most important, the overpowerd/underpowerd as per the title topic.
So my KISS reply is based on the "average" wind characteristics of your regular spot ( you should know everything about your spot, especially wind statistics, don't you? 8) ).

For A. Joe (aka - me) at least two boards are recommended: a) Allaround for med to high winds and b) light winds.
If light winds (<13 knots), you can trade-off the light wind TT for an Hfoil (also recommended).
The above is a very coarse approximation, as other factors mentioned in above posts are not considered, but still the most important to my consideration.
The next parameters I would take into account when choosing a TT, would be the rider's weight, his style and "average" water conditions.
I refrain from prioritizing them as this would induce polemics :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”