Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lieuwe boards

Forum for kitesurfers
User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2592
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 540 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby iriejohn » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:35 am

Ice101 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:56 pm
Why did len10 leave after having a pro board made for him? I take you have two boards of different size. Which is better all round size?
I am 80kg.

My all round board is the Shotgun 136x40.5 with Ozone Enduro V2 7m, 9m, 12m in 16-30+ knots.

I use the Shotgun 138x42 with 12m in 14-16 knots, and with an Ocean Rodeo Flite Aluula 14.5m in 14 knots or less, especially in summer.

Just starting to learn strapless.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post (total 2):
Kitedicted (Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:44 pm) • Rob112 (Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:52 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

User avatar
brighamj
Medium Poster
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:17 am
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 78kg
Favorite Beaches: My backyard
Gear: Duotone and Core Kites and Bars
Duotone Jaime, Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Bermuda
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby brighamj » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:07 am

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:35 am

I am 80kg.

My all round board is the Shotgun 136x40.5 with Ozone Enduro V2 7m, 9m, 12m in 16-30+ knots.

I use the Shotgun 138x42 with 12m in 14-16 knots, and with an Ocean Rodeo Flite Aluula 14.5m in 14 knots or less, especially in summer.

Just starting to learn strapless.
You and I are more or less the same height and weight. What conditions are you typically riding? Here in Bermuda, there is usually a fair bit of chop, and I’m a bit wary of the 136 v the 138 for mid-to-high wind days (same speeds you referenced). I’m just curious if you have any insight given you are riding both. Thanks in advance!

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2592
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 540 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby iriejohn » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:44 am

brighamj wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:07 am
iriejohn wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:35 am

I am 80kg.

My all round board is the Shotgun 136x40.5 with Ozone Enduro V2 7m, 9m, 12m in 16-30+ knots.

I use the Shotgun 138x42 with 12m in 14-16 knots, and with an Ocean Rodeo Flite Aluula 14.5m in 14 knots or less, especially in summer.

Just starting to learn strapless.
You and I are more or less the same height and weight. What conditions are you typically riding? Here in Bermuda, there is usually a fair bit of chop, and I’m a bit wary of the 136 v the 138 for mid-to-high wind days (same speeds you referenced). I’m just curious if you have any insight given you are riding both. Thanks in advance!
Typically riding UK south coast (eastern Solent) chop and rolling swell in tidal onshore/side on wind. Water can be anything from low tide water shallow and clean to rolling rideable waves to water coming at you from every direction! The 136x40.5 is absolutely my go-to board, it is a chop eating knee kind missile with huge grip. When I'm proficient with strapless directional the 138 will be sold.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
brighamj (Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:16 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

User avatar
brighamj
Medium Poster
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:17 am
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 78kg
Favorite Beaches: My backyard
Gear: Duotone and Core Kites and Bars
Duotone Jaime, Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Bermuda
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby brighamj » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:17 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:44 am
Typically riding UK south coast (eastern Solent) chop and rolling swell in tidal onshore/side on wind. Water can be anything from low tide water shallow and clean to rolling rideable waves to water coming at you from every direction! The 136x40.5 is absolutely my go-to board, it is a chop eating knee kind missile with huge grip. When I'm proficient with strapless directional the 138 will be sold.
Thanks! That is exactly what I was hoping to understand.

appelton
Medium Poster
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:39 am
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby appelton » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:56 pm

Can anyone compare SHOTGUN flex to SHINN RONSON ? how flexy is shotgun. The right amount of flex is something truly awesome.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 932
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:26 pm
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Duotone Juice 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby andylc » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:31 pm

The Shotgun rides really well but I’d say it’s a pretty stiff board, not a lot of flex even at the tips.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 pm
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 312 times

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby Herman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:16 pm

Although stiffness is important I don’t think there is much point in comparing the stiffness of boards with significantly different bottom shapes unless it is talking about how stiff it feels on the water. For example I have ridden stiff boards where channels have considerably softened the feel of the board. Obviously this is just a subjective opinion.

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2592
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 540 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:30 pm

appelton wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:56 pm
Can anyone compare SHOTGUN flex to SHINN RONSON ? how flexy is shotgun. The right amount of flex is something truly awesome.
I had a Shinn Ronson when it first came out (I think 138x42) and now have Lieuwe Shotgun 136x40.5

I thought the Ronson was a bit too stiff and had a bit too much rocker for me, but to be fair it may have evolved in the last few years.

Compared to the Ronson I had, the Shotgun has more flex, a bit less rocker, and extensive channelling. It has huge grip.

Have not yet found a better all round board than the Shotgun, but when I do I'll buy it.

Rob112
Medium Poster
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:51 pm
Local Beach: Hove
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Gear: Pivot
Asylum
Mixer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby Rob112 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:36 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:44 am
brighamj wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:07 am
iriejohn wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:35 am

I am 80kg.

My all round board is the Shotgun 136x40.5 with Ozone Enduro V2 7m, 9m, 12m in 16-30+ knots.

I use the Shotgun 138x42 with 12m in 14-16 knots, and with an Ocean Rodeo Flite Aluula 14.5m in 14 knots or less, especially in summer.

Just starting to learn strapless.
You and I are more or less the same height and weight. What conditions are you typically riding? Here in Bermuda, there is usually a fair bit of chop, and I’m a bit wary of the 136 v the 138 for mid-to-high wind days (same speeds you referenced). I’m just curious if you have any insight given you are riding both. Thanks in advance!
Typically riding UK south coast (eastern Solent) chop and rolling swell in tidal onshore/side on wind. Water can be anything from low tide water shallow and clean to rolling rideable waves to water coming at you from every direction! The 136x40.5 is absolutely my go-to board, it is a chop eating knee kind missile with huge grip. When I'm proficient with strapless directional the 138 will be sold.
Hi Irie,

I'm getting myself a shotgun and feel like in between sizes and wondered if you're still prefering the 136? Have you sold the 138 this season?

I'm around 94kg and split between the 138 and 141. I have a surfboard also, so thinking 138 might be the way to go.

Cheers!

* I note from further reading your 138 is a custom width at 42 rather than 41.

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2592
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 540 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Lieuwe boards

Postby iriejohn » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:47 pm

Rob112 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:36 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:44 am
brighamj wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:07 am

You and I are more or less the same height and weight. What conditions are you typically riding? Here in Bermuda, there is usually a fair bit of chop, and I’m a bit wary of the 136 v the 138 for mid-to-high wind days (same speeds you referenced). I’m just curious if you have any insight given you are riding both. Thanks in advance!
Typically riding UK south coast (eastern Solent) chop and rolling swell in tidal onshore/side on wind. Water can be anything from low tide water shallow and clean to rolling rideable waves to water coming at you from every direction! The 136x40.5 is absolutely my go-to board, it is a chop eating knee kind missile with huge grip. When I'm proficient with strapless directional the 138 will be sold.
Hi Irie,

I'm getting myself a shotgun and feel like in between sizes and wondered if you're still prefering the 136? Have you sold the 138 this season?

I'm around 94kg and split between the 138 and 141. I have a surfboard also, so thinking 138 might be the way to go.

Cheers!

* I note from further reading your 138 is a custom width at 42 rather than 41.
I was out today on 136x40.5 with 9m, 21 knots gusting 30 knots!

I would go for 138x41 because when it's 20+ knots and shitty chop it'll work fine. If it's less than that get on the surf board.

I still have the 138x42 custom because it's a nice board to travel with so I want to keep it.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
Rob112 (Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:57 pm)
Rating: 6.67%


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 108 guests