Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Replacing C-kites...?

Postby andylc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:07 pm

Hi all,
I'm considering replacing my C-kites - JN Primadonnas of various generations which are similar to North Vegas. I'm thinking that an all-round kite might suit me better these days, probably work better on waves and give me a bit more float in jumps. Wondering what people would recommend? I'm thinking.....

Ozone Enduro
Naish Pivot?

I'm sure there are loads more options out there.

Sizes? I have a 13m Chrono V2 for light wind, and currently 11, 9 and 7m - wondering if I can replace these with 2, maybe 11m and 8m...?

Cheers in advance.
Last edited by andylc on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Replacing C-kites...?

Postby grigorib » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 pm

I'd say waves and float are a bit mutually exclusive categories. From Slingshot world my float/jumping preference are small Turbines. SST for waves/foil. Rally as middle ground if you don't want to have two quivers.

11/8 is a good line call but I was getting overpowered on foil in 25+ knots with 8m, so I moved to 11/9/7 set (and 15m as lightwind wing) for my 200 lbs.
Last edited by grigorib on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Both of those are great options and you cannot go wrong with either one of them. My personal choice would be the Pivot.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:18 am

Agree, both are good kites.

And also, that you can not get a "perfect" kite for waves and float - these two things require opposite kites.

But choosing something in the middle, just like those kites, will work ok for both, equally good (or bad) in both worlds.

Take your Chrono V2 as an (extreme) example - the very best for float, but useless for waveriding.
Same thing goes for LEI kites, if you want some to excel in both disciplines, you need different kites for both.

Coming from C kites though, i think both kites will be better than these, at both disciplines - they got more float, turns well with low bar pressure, drift fine, can be depowered more - so a win win.
Only thing you will lose, is the unhooked handlepass ease and classic loop power and smoothness - but if not your main goal, you will get so many other advantages instead :D

8) Peter

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth

Postby andylc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:46 am

Well I think I’ve got to the point where I realise I’m not going to be a freestyle legend...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:54 pm

I get that sentiment, but here is the thing.

C kite design has definitely matured. They have been great kites for a long time and always will be. If there is any kite that can sit in the shed waiting for a few days a year, without loosing their magic, its C kites. They aren't worth much on the second hand market anyway. Keep em. You likely know how to make em boost and nothing beats them for looping. At least don't sell em to some beginner.

Get yourself a sweet new all round 9m and a 7m wave kite.

Its super nice to have a solid up to date allrounder in your quiver, and 9m is the best slot. Still very much the sweet spot for R&D, huge wind range, small enough to loop well, big enough to use often and makes a pretty good light wind wave kite. Will likely be your work horse and the one you reach for whenever conditions get challenging.

Add a 7m wave kite and your set. Once its super windy, your not going to really need anything that jumps uber high. Besides, if you wanna go real high, pull out your 9 or 7m primadonna. But if its too gusty for your C's to be real fun, or you want to ride waves, a 7m wave kite will kill it. Loads of top end range on them, and they all jump decent anyway. They drift, handle well depowered and loop softly compared to your C kites which will all come in handy.

Replace your kites with two kites and your always going to be compromising, be it boost, looping, waves, unhooking, whatever.

Keep what you have and add two different kites and you can be on the ideal kite in a huge range of conditions. Besides, anyone who has kited long enough can attest to the need for some redundancy. If you only have two kites and a bar in your quiver, any bit of damage will have you sitting on the beach. With two 7's, two 9's, an 11 and a 13m foil you can likely rip a kite in half and not miss a day.

Whatever you choose, once again, please don't sell a quiver of C kites to an unknowing beginner.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:04 pm

That is probably really good advice! I went out in really gusty 7m conditions yesterday and I think my timing was just off, couldn't seem to get any decent boosting going, plus I tried a couple of loops and got yanked like a goodun! Probably just need to sort my technique out rather than buy new kites...
Got a new Lieuwe board coming in a couple of weeks so I get a new toy to play with either way...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Have had those days. Too gusty for C kites. They feel like a rodeo. But that same 7m C can really shine on the right day.

You would have had a better go on a 7m wave kite. Softer power band and more control when depowered with softer tighter loops. They all boost well enough in real wind.

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mopman365 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Keep the 13 and get a 7 and 9. Or 8 and 10 if youre in a lighter wind area or over 90kg. 7 for waves and 9/10 for jumps with float. I havent been on a C kite since 2007, but really like the all-round F-one Bandit. In waves and for lofty jumps.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Great advice...but I still want Ozone Enduros...!

Return to “Kitesurfing”