Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: A friendly warning: don't kite in Singapore

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:12 pm

just let us know...remember, google finds this and therefore would be good to know as much as possible, so people can be aware and prepare accordingly.

You want people to shop up informed with the correct info to act according to the rules.

shlow
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Trikora, Indonesia
Changi Singapore
Gear: 16M 2011 Cabrinha SwitchBlade
12M 2012 LQ Envy
9M 2012 LQ Envy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby shlow » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:13 pm
I totally understand and agree.

Are there signs at the beach making people aware of it?

And where to buy a permit if one wants to Kite there??
I was the one that post in the FB group (kiteboarding Singapore!) that Mr. Chew (btw he is not from Singapore and I am sure have not kited here before) got eventually kicked out from. I am also one of the volunteer that negotiate the area. The area is small (1.5km across at the longest) and it is between 2 runways less than 2 km away. Singapore is a small island and we do not have a huge coastline. During the season, that is the area that has side-on wind.

Per Stan post above, kitesurfing was banned in the area. There were kiters (including myself) that got questioned and given warning by the police. We got the permission to use the area for a specific period (3.5 months in a year) from the airspace authorities (CAAS) for a kiting zone between the runways. We also have to provide a procedure for emergencies recall and safety overview. The setup for the Association is so that they only deal with one point of contact. We also have to comply with the sea authorities (Marine, Port Authorities) for the type of buoys to use and the park authorities (Nparks) for the type of signs put up.

To answer your questions: There are 3 signs in the 1.5km length that face inward that has the permit printed on (by the air authorities) as well as the kiting area. There are 2 signs on land, facing out to sea (1.2m x 1.2m size) that demarcate the area. There are also 2 buoys in the sea to mark out the area. Note that all these need to be in place at the start of the season and taken out at the end. The joining fees is to cover these expenses, buoys and signboards (need to satisfy the park authorities requirements... cannot be a stick in the ground with a piece of paper stick onto it). We also post in the Singapore FB group to tell all about the restrictions and the requirements. There are less than 150 active kiters in Singapore and if they have bother to ask... (as like the other 120 non-Singapore nationality kiter), all will be pointing towards some of the Association committee member. Pay the joining fees, know the area allowed and enjoy some of the wind.

I am writing this lengthy post because I think it is a fair question that you have post, having the impression that Mr. Chew was being treated unfairly.

There are irate and irresponsible kiters everywhere, no giving any regard to the local rules and requirement, no amount of information will get them to understand why we do what we do. The only option is the tell them that they are not welcome.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Thx for the info!

I agree, world has stupid and disrespectful people.
But also nice ones who will be happy to follow your rules.

Why only 3.5 months per year? Only period of wind?

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Postby mr_daruman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:09 pm

wow, 150 active kiters for 3 months a year on a small restricted and heavily regulated island area? When the wind picks up it must look like summer in Tariffa ? :o
tariffa.jpg

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:48 pm

hongchew wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Simply asking these kinds of questions at their forum would invite snipes, name calling, and outright threats.

"You came to my country, you should know"
"We're not here to answer your stupid questions"
would be the kinder responses.

As my topic goes, best to stay away.
If you actually did that, and the responses were as you say, then fair enough, but didn't you say you had not asked anyone?
I definitely do not think people should be rude to people who try to respect the rules. :-)

Axxis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Point Australia
Style: Crusing
Gear: Slingshot
Been thanked: 0

Postby Axxis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:46 am

hongchew wrote:
Toby wrote:

Simply asking these kinds of questions at their forum would invite snipes, name calling, and outright threats.

Not true. People who show some courtesy and respect, ask first, and kite within the allocated zone are treated very well. This is not at all what happened in this case. It started because people were kiting outside the zone and those doing so expected the locals to make the effort and go out of their way rather than simply taking the time on the beach to ask first, get informed and then kite.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:50 am

Toby wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:52 pm
Why only 3.5 months per year? Only period of wind?
More about the 6 kite beaches. Two monsoon seasons = two wind directions during the year = 2 coasts for kiting in Singapore.
http://blu-mango.com/kite-spots/#singapore
Kiteboarding in Southeast Asia is divided into two main seasons. The North East monsoon season from December to March [Shangi = 2 main kite sites] and the South West Monsoon season from June until September [Est Coast Park = 4 main kite sites]. There is little chance of wind outside of these periods

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:26 am

tautologies wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:48 pm
hongchew wrote:

If you actually did that, and the responses were as you say, then fair enough, but didn't you say you had not asked anyone?
I definitely do not think people should be rude to people who try to respect the rules. :-)

I never kited there. I had wanted to and joined their chat group as a passive member to learn more. But after witnessing how they berated visiting kiters for asking questions and giving their 2 cents on what more could be done to help out non local kiters, I left. Little was discussed on the merits of the suggestions, but name calling, threats and abusive language came fast and furious.

Hell, they even came down on their own members who offered different takes. You couldn't pay me to kite there.

Nonetheless, no poster has refuted the fact that the place is not a great place to kite, so my post still stands. Don't kite there! It's not worth the trouble nor the fee, which will buy you a nice 2 days of room n board and kite sessions in a neighbouring country.

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:00 am

shlow wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Toby wrote:

I was the one that post in the FB group (kiteboarding Singapore!) that Mr. Chew (btw he is not from Singapore and I am sure have not kited here before) got eventually kicked out from...
Dude, people left your little group in disgust, they didn't get kicked out. So did you just lie or were you misinformed?

I must commend you for this civil tone though, so unlike the brat in your home turf. Can't help but reminds me of my dog which acts so mean and nasty inside the yard, but becomes a total pussy outside her pissing ground.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Stan_FWI wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:58 am
Toby wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:13 am
What are their rules ?

1. They had to create an official kitesurfing association
2. The association had to install signage (buoys, etc.) to clearly indicate the authorised kitesurfing zone
3. Every kiter is Changi has to be identified with a tag which has to be worn on their harness at ALL TIMES
4. Respect the rules

There are some cheapskates, probably like OP, who feel paying S$50 is a ripoff (knowing that we like in a country where two beers could cost me this much) and go there to kite without their tag.
The relationship between KAS (Kitesurfing Association of Singapore) and CAAS is fragile and we could potentially lose the spot because some guys like this can't accept it.

If you are not happy, GTFO of the spot. Go kite elsewhere.

This, what you just typed above, is extremely rude to say on this site.
U just proved what OP is saying...

Return to “Kitesurfing”