Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is the average and maximum gust swing you kite in?

Forum for kitesurfers
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

What is the average and maximum gust swing you kite in?

Postby plummet » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:53 pm

Some people are blessed wind clean wind all the time while others have to contend with super gusty conditions.
What are the conditions you get at your local, what gust/lull range do you ride. When do you stop enjoying riding.
Also, where are you in the world?
ME. Taranaki NZ
Summer is typically gust/lulls within5 knots with many super clean seabreaze days.
Tropical storms drive can take the swing to 10 to 15 knots.
Winter it typically frontal driven with some clean wind days, But many days with 10+ swing,
Manic storm days can have a 15-20 gust/lull range.

Depending on the wind speed I can ride a 20 knots swing, But it is getting very challenging. Sometimes I enjoy it sometimes not.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Re: What is the average and maximum gust swing you kite in?

Postby BOEMIX » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:47 pm

Today I snowkited with my Ozone Access 6m in avetage wind 15 knots, luls to 8-10, gusts to 30-35.

Actually is not much enjoyable but is that or nothing.

mbevo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Gear: cabinha and switch
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mbevo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:06 am

Summer gorge winds can be quite gusty, 10-35+ at hood river is not uncommon. Winter storms if not strong can be 15-30, stronger storms can have 20mph swings and pure survival kiting.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:05 am

Worst I’ve put up with is probably 15 to 35 knots.
But I had a friend out yesterday during the “bomb cyclone” nor’easter here at an inland spot who said he though the wind was 0 to 35. Video showed the kite falling out of the sky from static flying to smoke on the water and Superman wipeouts a few seconds later. I was impressed he got in a few good runs and transitions between wind-imposed disasters.
I chose to sit that session out.
Prefer when the multiple is <2X

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:25 am

Come spring I start riding the buggy at my local sports field in Croydon south London. Football season will have finished, the ground has had time to dry out and as its closer to me than the beach, therefore I can get out more often.
Been riding there since 97 and its nearly always gusty, frustratingly so. In fact it has gotten worse over the years. Mainly because the trees lining the road have grown tall.
The wind is shadowed by buildings too. I spend most of my time angry and question why I still do it. Haha
I captured this session on video with gusts ranging from 0 - 45mph. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pV3YZ8BQmM

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:21 pm

5-10 but have some days with 20-25 meaning wind was 15 to 40. Dépends fun we can find a spot clean or not when wind comes from land..

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:38 pm

It depends on whether the gusts are actually "gusts" or if the wind speed just increases/decreases on a somewhat consistent basis. In the Gorge you could always ride a smaller kite and just deal with the lulls and it wasn't too bad, but where I kite in Florida if there are serious lulls it means you are standing on the beach waiting for the wind to come back up. So currently I give it maybe a 5-8 knot gust before its just not worth it. When I was in the gorge 10-15 knot ranges were tolerable.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:55 am

In 2 and a bit years kiting today was the gustiest. I had to wait through the evening for a southerly to arrive (Lyall Bay Wellington New Zealand) and I was truly desperate to kite as I'm on call for a week soon and there's been no wind for over a week.
Had my 14m new nitrov6 up and another kiter who lives nearby came to laugh at me because there was so little wind. Anyway, 15 minutes later I was kiting but not getting up wind because wind was so light. After 10 minutes I was getting up wind but light was fading. Then some wind started coming through strongly but is was getting hard to see the waves, did a few jumps, a 6.9meter one but over flew the kite. Got back up and was trying to get back to my starting spot by the beach because I was getting too over powered to carve into jumps properly. Every time I got a bit close to the launch end of the beach the kite would start to go nuts, the wind was dropping and gusting so I'd head hard up wind the other way and try again. Eventually I got back but the wind was so on and off that I pulled the QR as soon as I got to the beach because I had nasty visions of the kite diving and then yanking me, wind wasn't stable enough to hold the kite out at a good angle without risking being ripped off my feet.
Mainly though I have very gusty launches when I launch at a local bay in a WNW but then it's awesome further in Plimmerton, else it's just gusty all over.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:48 am

I prefer 18-25 knots.
12 Minimum, 34 max (no real fun then)

Kite: 18 sqm. 97 kg

Main spot: Cumbuco Brazil

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:02 pm

I personally have a formula that seems to work:

If the range is greater than 1/2 the average then it is too gusty and not very fun.

For example: Lull 9, Gusting to 20, Average windspeed of 14. The range is therefore 11 knots (20-9=11), which is more than half the average (14), thus it is probably not too much fun.

Obviously it depends what you are riding and how desperate you are to kite, but this is a way to quantify.

Return to “Kitesurfing”