Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Video of Ram Air Inversion Disaster

Postby PullStrings » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Pump me up wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:56 am
PullStrings wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:25 am

Foilboards are so efficient with LW tube in 5-6 knots that Rams aren't necessary
[flash=]+1
Agree.
[/flash]

Although the bare minimum for riding is 7-8 knots (not 5-6), even with a foilboard.
I knew you would bite at 5-6 :) ( Ooooops that's for landboard w/ LW tube).. foilboard in 6-7 more realistic ...quad surfb. 5'2" x 21' x 2 3/8" in 7-8 kn is minimum
So i give them a one knot advantage

As we both know LW very difficult to accurately measure...springtime has a lot of gradients light winds...side side on ocean warm wind over cool water... dense & powerful
Very different power & gutless / no gradient in full humid summer when same wind speed & direction of hot wind over warm water
It's definitely not necessary to fly ram airs with any type of water vehicle
Foilboards don't even need a kite to go..... all the racing we see with propaganda ram airs should be replaced with tubes
My buddy regular surfs with a foilboard...catches waves... turns around ...and "pump' the board back out into the line up !

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:40 am

For lightwind days I still don't get why anyone would spend all that time and effort pumping up a huge LEI when you can throw a race foil in the air and have more power, more speed, and more hangtime.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby andylc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 am

Indeed. Many are the days I’ve had having loads of fun on my Chrono V2, comfortably getting jumps and nice hang time whilst others are attempting to get going on LEIs without success.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:53 am

edt wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:48 pm
joriws if you can do it more power to you. I think it's just too hard to keep water from getting into your air intake holes. Show me a viddy of you doing it I will definitely be impressed.
I've been travelling on mountains. Sure, video is easy because I've material from last summer with Sonic1. I just need to get home and cut the helmetcam clip => end of this week / weekend.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:12 am

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:03 pm
He's dicking around pulling the depower strap once the kite is up when it should have been pulled in / trimmed before kite was launched

You see a small twist in his front lines it is not a very big deal but if you rig your lines properly you should not have that

Terrible first dive of the kite to get going since he stalls it at edge of window and it balls up with zero board speed

Lucky guy that it happened in knee deep water close to him and not in the deep end of the slick pool...wind seem to blow offshore...which is the worst for disabled ram airs

Amazing how fast the kite sucked it water....disastrous indeed

This rider is quite inexperienced and should not be on a ram air...& there was plenty of wind 10-15 knots...kite has trouble inflating...you can see the sleeves flapping flapping flapping

With proper training / instructions with a tube kite you get out of this stall situation with a quick tight downloop

Hello PMU
You don't fly foils do you? I always launch trimmed out. This helps speed inflation, significantly. Speed3's do take time to inflate but the fact that the guy in the vid was launching with the bar mostly out was also not helping him. You want to backstall the kite while you launch with the bar completely in, it inflates the tips much faster.

There was most likely a twist in his front lines because you usually don't remove the bar/lines from the kite when you pack up. I usually don't even walk my lines, just roll the kite and lines out and launch. Those twisted front lines are a 0% issue.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:37 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:12 am
You don't fly foils do you? I always launch trimmed out. This helps speed inflation, significantly. Speed3's do take time to inflate but the fact that the guy in the vid was launching with the bar mostly out was also not helping him. You want to backstall the kite while you launch with the bar completely in, it inflates the tips much faster.
Not anymore... but i sure did fly the heck out of them (~1500 hrs)...silverarrow 15 /19...sp2 15/19...sp3 21 + other brand sizes 3.0/ 5.0 /7.0 /9.0 / 12.0 /16.0
I always trimmed either halfway in light air or all the way in medium air but never all the way open at full front lines length like you do

Sure pulling the bar all the way in and swinging the kite left to right to left to right will get the dangling sleeves filled up quicker especially without air in kite to start with
But i would always pre-inflate the kite ~70% by creating an arch holding the leeward wingtip of the kite that was lined up parallel to the wind flow
That would only leave the wingtip that was sanded to require a small amount of air once the kite popped off the ground and i kept it at a 45-60 degrees angle as it totally filled up...safer IMO

So been there done that with the rams.... yes.. all of them had their own bar and lines...and they were launched very fast indeed
With modern tube kites nowadays...rams are really no longer necessary IMO
Those rams with "lines always on" really spoiled me....so...ever since iv'e been on tubes i do it the same way...got 7 sizes right now...& all have their own bar lines that stay attached

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:35 am

I prefer large foil kites on the snow and water. 10m and below, I use tube. However, who really cares what kite you use? Just have fun and don’t worry about what the other guy is doing.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:41 am

PullStrings wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:37 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Not anymore... but i sure did fly the heck out of them (~1500 hrs)...silverarrow 15 /19...sp2 15/19...sp3 21 + other brand sizes 3.0/ 5.0 /7.0 /9.0 / 12.0 /16.0
I always trimmed either halfway in light air or all the way in medium air but never all the way open at full front lines length like you do
Man you stopped flying foils at the wrong time. The Speed 3 was dogshit compared to the foils out now. I had the S3DLX 21m and I absolutely hated that kite. Also preinflating is for pussies ;-)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:10 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:41 am
PullStrings wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:37 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Man you stopped flying foils at the wrong time. The Speed 3 was dogshit compared to the foils out now. I had the S3DLX 21m and I absolutely hated that kite. Also preinflating is for pussies ;-)
Boo shame on you :D I've had some epic light wind sessions on the 21, that the 18m Sonic couldn't deliver on. Glassy clear water, nobody else out, silence and solitude. Great weather for a swim too.

Sonic2 is a whole other thing though, lordy!

Return to “Kitesurfing”