Peter Lynn Aero
Brand Affiliation: Infexion
Peter Lynn
Moses

Re: Depower rope WTF

Postby evan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 pm
Yep that's what it looks like. Did you file it down?
Yes, but you need a really small file to get to the inside.
ap888 wrote: Should really get the word out for sure who cares about how the PU tube looks make them all clear for all the riders safety...it’s so easy to check b4 a session if it’s clear
clear PU gets rubbed with a matte finish over time so that you still can not see the inside. They should ditch the tiny loose fitting ropes inside the tubes. If you make it a tight fit with both ends of the tube blocked from sand it is impossible to wear the inside rope faster than the PU tube.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:15 am

Even with jeweler's files it's tough to get at the right spots :( and the material is hard, and you can't get a finger in there to check if it's smooth.

I wonder if trimming a few mm off the safety line end of the PU tube at the cleat will let the rope side go further into the cleat and protect the rope from the sharp edges...?

gator1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby gator1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:07 am

evan wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:12 am
Every Cabrinha bar I had in my workshop has a razor sharp edge inside the cleat, surprised me they didn't file down those edges in the factory or that it didn't came up in their testing program.

It is not that the ropes are too thin, but they got eaten by the clamcleat.
There is no need for a Clamcleat at all on that bar as there is a fat knot above it.

Biggest pain is when you buy a new Cab Mainline replacement, you have to unthread the old mainline from the old cleat, carefully unthread the new mainline from the new cleat without wrecking it, then re-thread the new one. They even sell you a cleat with the new one making it three times the price of the recoil mainline. I've got a collection of Cleats already.

When I refitted the new mainline onto the chickenloop I sealed the tube with silicone bathroom sealant. But the problem I think is not sand getting into the tube but the micro movement of the two dyneema mainlines rubbing against each other over time.

ap888
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ap888 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:59 am

Took apart 2016 cabrinha recoil not to bad but when the wind is pumping/nuking kite is pulling oneself on the beach depowered...doing big loops definitely don’t trust this being worn that much this is after 2 seasons so if u go big and have this bar might want to take a look or any bar for that matter if it’s 2 years old :thumb:
Attachments
EC216497-A78F-47FC-A242-6571B9F33EFA.jpeg

Return to “Kitesurfing”