Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Depower rope WTF

Forum for kitesurfers
wrogu
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Depower rope WTF

Postby wrogu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am

A line inside my NKB wakestyle bar chickenloop snaped during a jump. Not a funny story, thanks god the wind was weak and jump low. You could not see that coming - black tubing ...

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:03 pm

wrogu wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am
A line inside my NKB wakestyle bar chickenloop snaped during a jump. Not a funny story, thanks god the wind was weak and jump low. You could not see that coming - black tubing ...
I have lots of North CL's. Only time they break is when sand gets into them. If the PU sheath is compromised, it is not long before sand gets in and starts to abrade the strands of Dyneema inside. Watch for this right where the harness hook contacts the line.

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Matteo V wrote:
wrogu wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am
I have lots of North CL's. Only time they break is when sand gets into them. If the PU sheath is compromised, it is not long before sand gets in and starts to abrade the strands of Dyneema inside. Watch for this right where the harness hook contacts the line.
I assume its not North only issue. This could happen to any bar.
The PU coating was intact and no way to tell the failure is soon to come. Either way, I will change CL when I have doubts.

P.S. I still ride and use NKB gear and have high esteem for their quality.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:28 pm

yet again for a price of around £55 North now do a chicken loop with a stainless steel sheathed loop where the rope of a rope style harness runs side to side, so no risk of the chicken loop failing and massive life from the harness rope, mine is 10 months old and absolutly no wear.
for information North sell you the click bar which does not come with the chicken loop, you have to buy the one that suit you, standard, big, or rope style.
rope style is the stainless steel sheathed one, tiny but unbreakable.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:01 pm

As said elsewhere I would never use PU sheathed trim lines if for no other reason than being unable to see damage to the trim line rope. Rope costs pennies and is quick and easy to replace.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:08 pm

wrogu wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:38 pm
Matteo V wrote: I have lots of North CL's. Only time they break is when sand gets into them. If the PU sheath is compromised, it is not long before sand gets in and starts to abrade the strands of Dyneema inside. Watch for this right where the harness hook contacts the line.
I assume its not North only issue. This could happen to any bar.
The PU coating was intact and no way to tell the failure is soon to come. Either way, I will change CL when I have doubts.

P.S. I still ride and use NKB gear and have high esteem for their quality.
North Cl's are the best on the market and were the first reliable ones. Best even ripped them off (slightly more complicated than that) in the end.

It is a wear/lifespan issue. Not a quality issue. I think my last failed (wear, not quality) North release lasted around 20 depower line replacements.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:08 pm
North Cl's are the best on the market and were the first reliable ones. Best even ripped them off (slightly more complicated than that) in the end.

It is a wear/lifespan issue. Not a quality issue. I think my last failed (wear, not quality) North release lasted around 20 depower line replacements.
What is the crossover point where a "quality issue" becomes a "wear/lifespan issue"? :?:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:58 am

I've had about 3 Flysurfer Infinity 1 chicken loops snap on me. The spreader bar hook written holes in the PU rubber tune then soon after they snapped. I replaced a couple as soon as I spotted the files holes and it was good. From Infinity 2 on, they changed the tube material (it was even clear for a while) and sealed the ends... Only ever had to replace one Cab CL for wear.

But depower lines aren't something that should be snapping! Or at least, unable to be inspected...!

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:10 am

You know, I thought Cabrinha had complicated bars for all these years so people would continue to spend top dollar on them. I am making my own bars since 2007 that look like that except no through the bar flag out (can't be bothered with bungee). Can't you see how simple it is and make your own, even better?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:29 am

Welcome to kitesurfing, stuff breaks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”