Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Depower rope WTF

Postby evan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 pm
Yep that's what it looks like. Did you file it down?
Yes, but you need a really small file to get to the inside.
ap888 wrote: Should really get the word out for sure who cares about how the PU tube looks make them all clear for all the riders safety...it’s so easy to check b4 a session if it’s clear
clear PU gets rubbed with a matte finish over time so that you still can not see the inside. They should ditch the tiny loose fitting ropes inside the tubes. If you make it a tight fit with both ends of the tube blocked from sand it is impossible to wear the inside rope faster than the PU tube.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:15 am

Even with jeweler's files it's tough to get at the right spots :( and the material is hard, and you can't get a finger in there to check if it's smooth.

I wonder if trimming a few mm off the safety line end of the PU tube at the cleat will let the rope side go further into the cleat and protect the rope from the sharp edges...?

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby gator1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:07 am

evan wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:12 am
Every Cabrinha bar I had in my workshop has a razor sharp edge inside the cleat, surprised me they didn't file down those edges in the factory or that it didn't came up in their testing program.

It is not that the ropes are too thin, but they got eaten by the clamcleat.
There is no need for a Clamcleat at all on that bar as there is a fat knot above it.

Biggest pain is when you buy a new Cab Mainline replacement, you have to unthread the old mainline from the old cleat, carefully unthread the new mainline from the new cleat without wrecking it, then re-thread the new one. They even sell you a cleat with the new one making it three times the price of the recoil mainline. I've got a collection of Cleats already.

When I refitted the new mainline onto the chickenloop I sealed the tube with silicone bathroom sealant. But the problem I think is not sand getting into the tube but the micro movement of the two dyneema mainlines rubbing against each other over time.

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:59 am

Took apart 2016 cabrinha recoil not to bad but when the wind is pumping/nuking kite is pulling oneself on the beach depowered...doing big loops definitely don’t trust this being worn that much this is after 2 seasons so if u go big and have this bar might want to take a look or any bar for that matter if it’s 2 years old :thumb:
Attachments
EC216497-A78F-47FC-A242-6571B9F33EFA.jpeg

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:27 pm

Well here we are again :mad:

This time -- for the second time -- the front line snapped at the lark's head to the safety line. So I got dumped in the middle of a bird's nest of lines, which got wrapped around my hand, the kite started looping and it ripped my watch right off my wrist. I thought the lines was going to take the skin off my fingers with them too.

It really is a shit design and reinforces my opinion that single front line safety a. isn't and b. is a fashion statement If you can't release the kite to safety because the line has snapped ... then what's the point?

In the past 5 years I've had more safety+front lines snap because of their shit design than I have had the need to release the kite to safety...!

The hilarious thing is, I bought the new bar and kites because I thought I should retire my 8-year-old IDS bar and kites...despite never having them break or snap and hardly wear at all.

IMO the issue is because there's no swivel (and can't ever be), the lines spin in the little socket when you loop the kite and it just wears right through.

And I'd had a look at it just the other day, because the the safety line was twisted and pulling on that side.

Honestly. I want a five line bar or mini-5th cos this is retarded. This bar only ever got used foiling...the bar I keep for TTing has a broken trim strap because of course it does, and parts are naturally twice the price as in the US and non-existent in-country.

So that's my 2018 Axis Limited broken the first time this broke and my Sunto Ambit3 lost the second, thanks to that shitty design. Thankfully, my foil missed all the rocks...or I'd really be spewing!

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:28 pm

[/quote]
Biggest pain is when you buy a new Cab Mainline replacement, you have to unthread the old mainline from the old cleat, carefully unthread the new mainline from the new cleat without wrecking it, then re-thread the new one. They even sell you a cleat with the new one making it three times the price of the recoil mainline. I've got a collection of Cleats already.[/quote]

Gator, how can you actually separate the depower line / PU tubing from the cleat? I tried it but it seems to be glued together?
I want to get rid of the PU tube and use the Cabrinha bar with a bare depower rope. Don´t use a chicken loop anyway, so no worries at the lower end of the tube :D

BTW, I never had any issues with my Cabrinha Bar (2018 model). So far...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm

Oh I just realized -- that's every "new" Cab bar I've had, has broken. At least once :(

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm
Oh I just realized -- that's every "new" Cab bar I've had, has broken. At least once :(
Might be a clue there. Possibly. :wink:

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:20 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:27 pm

It really is a shit design
(...)
because of their shit design...
(...) this is retarded...
...thanks to that shitty design. (...)
I see a pattern in there!

You've been at that game for long enough, you know what works and what is suspiciously prone to wear or non-inspectable. If you really feel the urge to use cabrinah kites, I'm sure you can buy them as a kite only, save some $$$ and use a frankenbar with sensible parts. Honestly I don't understand why a company like that would thing that it is a good idea to design their own cleat when ClamCleat has been doing mostly that for 1000 times more users over decades, they have a proven record of what works and what doesn't, and their price is reasonable.
I'm sure you can cope with 2 lines going through the centerline of your bar, and I'm sure you don't rely on autotwist for your center lines, keep it simple!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:21 am

bragnouff wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:20 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:27 pm

It really is a shit design
(...)
because of their shit design...
(...) this is retarded...
...thanks to that shitty design. (...)
I see a pattern in there!

You've been at that game for long enough, you know what works and what is suspiciously prone to wear or non-inspectable. If you really feel the urge to use cabrinah kites, I'm sure you can buy them as a kite only, save some $$$ and use a frankenbar with sensible parts. Honestly I don't understand why a company like that would thing that it is a good idea to design their own cleat when ClamCleat has been doing mostly that for 1000 times more users over decades, they have a proven record of what works and what doesn't, and their price is reasonable.
I'm sure you can cope with 2 lines going through the centerline of your bar, and I'm sure you don't rely on autotwist for your center lines, keep it simple!
Are you victim-blaming here? :D

Yeah but ... my OCD struggles with mismatched bars and kites.

The whole thing with the cleat as a mystery too -- I suspect a ladder of design decisions that left them no other options.
I wonder if I *could* switch it out for a CamCleat unit...hmm. Still prefer the Recoil though. And you're left with their way of connecting the safety line to the front line.

I would love to go back to two big thick depower ropes, a mini-5th and auto-untwist like the old Infinity bars, but the new bars that use it look like shit ie. Slingshot Sentry (WTF is going on with the safety line?!) and pick n' mixing parts is going to cost a bunch in shipping.

I'm going to borrow a Naish Torque BTB from the clubhouse and see how that goes. I'm considering a Slingshot Guardian or Sentinel too...

Return to “Kitesurfing”