Element 6 what size?

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Element 6 what size?

Postby keegster17 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:47 pm

looking for some opinions. I have a 9m Element, older model, I have a 7m kite, as well as a 17m Ocean Rodeo Flite. I just sold my 13m Element 4. Now I need to replace my 13m kite. what size should I get in the new Element 6? I am in Canada, typically kite on all the big lakes. I am 5,8" 175lbs to 180lbs full gear, 172lbs without approx. I have three boards, 140cm Mako, 134 Axis and a 155 Ocean rodeo Origin. i am mainly a free ride rider, and like to jump. I owned a 12m Nitro, i liked it, but I think I like the feel of a bigger hang time in the air, possibly like an Element, Nitro sends you up quick but I felt less hang time. That is just my opinion. Nitro had smooth landing versus Element. thoughts?
Last edited by keegster17 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: Element 6 what size?

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:30 pm

I own 9 Element and 10 Nitro. 9 for surfboard 10 for twintip.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:27 pm

Go for the 12.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 am

I agree with Faxie. The 12 turns so fast & smooth. Boosts while snowkiting with my 12 have been super floaty & fun. Kite redirects so nice, landings are sweet. I can't imagine you'd need larger unless you are flying frequently in really light wind. The 12 E6 will fly a lot more lively than your N12 did. My experience with Nitros was that unless they were really in the top 1/3rd of their wind range they were slow & doggy.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Doesn't turn faster than the previous Elements, but you can ride one size smaller and that compensates.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:41 pm

thanks guys, we suffer from great wind in Southern Ontario Canada, so I am just wondering if the 14m is a better choice vs 12m? I do have my 17m and a large board. my quiver is 7m, 9m, ? 17m.

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:02 pm

thanks guys, we suffer from great wind in Southern Ontario Canada, so I am just wondering if the 14m is a better choice vs 12m? I do have my 17m and a large board. my quiver is 7m, 9m, ? 17m.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:17 pm

lewmt wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 am
The 12 E6 will fly a lot more lively than your N12 did. My experience with Nitros was that unless they were really in the top 1/3rd of their wind range they were slow & doggy.
Wow, Not sure what version your referring to in the Nitro, for me the Nitro 6 is anything but slow & doggy in any wind,even the Nitro 5 was not slow & doggy.The N4 yes I would agree.
I have had many sessions on the N5 10, 12, 16M and even in low 10-12mph wind I felt the 16M Nitro 5 turned nicely and at 170 lbs had some great low wind sessions.
The Nitro 6 12M my experience has even better, very smooth in every aspect, Does everything well for me. I ride mostly ocean small to chest high waves last season a few overhead sessions,Freeride & downwinders old school jumps.
I have not got my hands on the Element 6 that being said I'm going to replace my Nitro 5 10m with a Nitro 6 10 or 8 not sure. I was thinking about the Element 6, but I'm having a hard time giving up the ride of the Nitro 6, for me the 12 is magic.
X

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Wow, Not sure what version your referring to in the Nitro, for me the Nitro 6 is anything but slow & doggy in any wind,even the Nitro 5 was not slow & doggy.
I had N4 & N5. Never tried the 6. I had them in 7M & 14M & flew the 14 mostly on snow. I was never really thrilled with them & flew the E5's & 3's on water with a surfboard strapless with an occasional boost session with the Nitros. I think that's why there are such a variety of kite styles for us riders. I just never got my thrill on with the nitros as much as I'd hoped but you obviously love them. I think its spectacular we have such great options & when we find what stokes us most, we wanna tell the world. I have just been more stoked on the E6's than any kite I've owned so far. Faxie doesn't think they're that great but he's looking for different things than me I'd guess. It's all good! I'm not sure why he says they don't turn as fast as the Element 5's - I've thought they were at least as fast & much smoother in the power delivery - especially when looping. While I haven't had my E6 in waves or even on water yet I have a sense that they will be what I like when I get there. I can mimic certain flight characteristics on snow to get a feel for how my water riding will go.

As to the OP's question - if I were you & had the quiver you have I'd go for the 12. If your 17 has decent wind range and you can ride it comfortably up to 16-18 knots I'd definitely choose the 12

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:51 pm

lewmt wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:04 pm
Wow, Not sure what version your referring to in the Nitro, for me the Nitro 6 is anything but slow & doggy in any wind,even the Nitro 5 was not slow & doggy.
I had N4 & N5. Never tried the 6.
Just to be clear, any fair and honest comparison between 2 kites when discussing new kites should be based on the current models and actual riding of both kites. No... Yes... Maybe..
Is it not misleading to compare an E6 to 2+ year old N5 and not the N6 which is the current model and a very different flying kite than the N5.

I'm also thinking about the E6, hearing some of the reviews its sounds like a great kite, but you can't compare the E6 to the N6 if you have not flown the N6?
Who knows You may have really like the N6? over the E6? we really don't know the answer to that at this point.
Unless you mentioned that small detail, Its a big difference.. All good now since you have cleared that up Thank you.

I would like to know direct comparisons between the 2, N6 & E6 this might help me avoid having to send a kite back because its not what I expect (E6). So far the N6 does everything I want very well. Does the E6 do it better?
As far as what size to get for me the 12 has always been a go to kite a 170lbs in the NE NJ location, not sure about the E6 or your location in the great white north. Good luck with your decision would love to know your thoughts after you ride whatever you get.

X

Return to “Kitesurfing”