Local Beach: Lake Travis
Style: dork
Gear: free stuff and hand me diwns
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Beginner Board Advice: Door vs Regular Large

Postby indysurfer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:39 am

I Have to agree that Litewave Dave's Wings are awesome for big guys (250) in all wind conditions. They feel great on both ends of the spectrum, eat chop, and make it ridiculously easy to load and pop for getting much better airs. I demoed the 165 way underpowered on a 10 and was still able to get some serious pops because I did not have to concentrate on the board at all. Holding an edge was effortless. Of course, it also planed/pointed upwind better than any other twintip I've ever ridden, without that boring door lawn mower feeling. I've faceplanted a bit myself but usually after I sunk the board. It did not matter so much how big or small it was when it was that far underwater. The Wing likes to stay on (or return to) the surface like it has float and it turns downwind quickly enough to avoid (most) future faceplants. It is not entirely kook-proof, but it sure makes learning a whole lot easier, even (or maybe especially) for those stuck in intermediate mode such as myself. I would definitely recommend this to any level rider, especially 175 lbs and up. You will have no issues getting back to that smaller board onshore, except you might be having too much fun to make the switch. No affiliation here, just a big guy who does not like big kites on small (gusty) lakes. The Kick-Ss are a blast too, the high rocker lets you handle their width with ease, again, giving a lively feel in a great range of conditions, waves too.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5
Wainman Hawaii Punch
Slingshot Vision
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Hijacking this tread a little bit, but still regarding a board to use in light winds (10 to 13 kts), would a 140 raptor ltd work “as like” a LW board for light weight person (65kg)?

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Leksdalsvatnet, Trones, Vinge
Favorite Beaches: Leksdalsvatnet, Trones, El Medano & Las Americas Tenerife, Fuerteventura
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone edge 19 32m lines
Core XR4 11 13.5 17 27m lines
Core XR3 9 27m lines
Crazyfly Raptor Pro 137×43
Slingshot Glide 149x46 LW 2006

Postby Guttorm » Sat May 05, 2018 5:06 am

The Ltd can work as a light wind board for your light weight, but the Raptor pro carbon is a better choice because it is faster and goes a little better upwind than the Ltd cause it has less rocker and less concaves that creates drag. Faster is always better in lightwind.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; SPI; La Ventana
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/105cm masts 590/683s/633 wings, Tim's 36" "woody", Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: LF CPR 55cm bar $160

Postby grigorib » Sat May 05, 2018 10:40 pm

k2thiago wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 pm
Hijacking this tread a little bit, but still regarding a board to use in light winds (10 to 13 kts), would a 140 raptor ltd work “as like” a LW board for light weight person (65kg)?
Find a board with 45cm width. It can be shorter but gotta be wide for LW. Preferably wide tips too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”