Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

SupaEZ Where have you been?

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: SupaEZ Where have you been?

Postby Laughingman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:10 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:01 pm
I'm not techno savy, what keeps someone from registering again under a different username?
Really nothing but Toby would know simply by the IP if it was a banned user or likely a banned user. You would have to use a VPN to connect but that can also be detected by a smart admin. Other ways to know would be the way in which the account is registered. People can't help but to leave a hint or two even if it is subconsciously.
There was a time when I had to ban entire ISPs at least for a few days to stop someone from continually registering/joining and attacking my site.
If someone really wants to do damage, they can. At the least they can make trying to keep them out a full time job for the admin. Its really no fun at all.

And then there is TOR... good luck stopping that.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:21 pm

So these personal attacks were likely the result of someone who asked for it.
in my case for sure not.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year
Has thanked: 0

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:41 am

Havent seen Old & Broken on here either. Did he banned also????

UKSurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Slingshot Rally
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby UKSurf » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:49 am

I would imagine SupaEz is foiling somewhere on the Florida Coast. He probably retired after giving Epic Kites $1000s of free internet publicity :)

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby geopeck » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:59 am

I'm reviving this thread just to say that it really rubs me the wrong way that Starsky was kicked off the forum. SupaEZ too but especially Starsky.

That guy had 4k+ posts to this forum. They ranged from helping beginners to deep dives on technique and gear and included taking measured swipes at some other users, mostly when they deserved it IMHO. Airbunny, marlboroughman, etc. Sometimes the moderator too but I guess you can't do that.

If you figure five minutes per post that's getting close to 400 hours, or ten work weeks of free labor that he gave to kiteforum. Expert knowledge provided for free, advice that an instructor charges for.

Starsky helped create value for the website that drew users and advertisers. His (and others) donation of time allows Toby to make a living (or some part of one) from moderating. Not to diminish all of Toby's work and vision, but his website doesn't work without posters who can and will answer questions. People like Peter Frank, tautologies etc. are sharing the stoke and creating a community.

His knowledge and sharing attitude was exemplary and throwing a few elbows keeps the forum lively and the loudmouths in check. There are plenty of people here who are flat out dicks in almost every post - Starsky wasn't one of them. If you search his name you see a lot of people in discussion with him, valuing his advice and thanking him. Nobody thanks DWX. She doesn't create community.

I know that Toby having the ability to ban any user who contributes to his site is just the way the world works, and no one would ever hint that heavy users deserve any reward for what they do, but I think he merits better than a ban.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:06 am

geopeck wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:59 am
I'm reviving this thread just to say that it really rubs me the wrong way that Starsky was kicked off the forum. SupaEZ too but especially Starsky.

That guy had 4k+ posts to this forum. They ranged from helping beginners to deep dives on technique and gear and included taking measured swipes at some other users, mostly when they deserved it IMHO. Airbunny, marlboroughman, etc. Sometimes the moderator too but I guess you can't do that.

If you figure five minutes per post that's getting close to 400 hours, or ten work weeks of free labor that he gave to kiteforum. Expert knowledge provided for free, advice that an instructor charges for.

Starsky helped create value for the website that drew users and advertisers. His (and others) donation of time allows Toby to make a living (or some part of one) from moderating. Not to diminish all of Toby's work and vision, but his website doesn't work without posters who can and will answer questions. People like Peter Frank, tautologies etc. are sharing the stoke and creating a community.

His knowledge and sharing attitude was exemplary and throwing a few elbows keeps the forum lively and the loudmouths in check. There are plenty of people here who are flat out dicks in almost every post - Starsky wasn't one of them. If you search his name you see a lot of people in discussion with him, valuing his advice and thanking him. Nobody thanks DWX. She doesn't create community.

I know that Toby having the ability to ban any user who contributes to his site is just the way the world works, and no one would ever hint that heavy users deserve any reward for what they do, but I think he merits better than a ban.
I generally agree. Though i didnt always see eye to eye with starsky it was allways fair banter that didnt resort to name calling and other general trolling.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:09 am

Read my comment above.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:50 pm

If I was the admin, I would turn it a "time out" instead of a perm ban. Of course, Toby runs this place how he likes, you can't argue that Toby didn't have just cause.

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby geopeck » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Read my comment above.
Well, one comment says it was for being mean to other users, one says it was for being mean to you, one says you deleted a bunch of personal attacks, and one says that Starsky is posting under a new name and that he's got to be nicer. If the last one is what you are referring to then I guess you're straddling everyone's interests but don't want to say it that way.

I dunno, I'm not going to spend a bunch of time tracking down other peoples disputes. All I know is that Starsky's input on gear and fun held more credibility than the most industry marketing departments. In a rapidly evolving gear environment, in a sport with lots of newish riders, good advice is gold and his user handle held a lot of weight.

That's all, not going deeper.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:46 pm

geopeck wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:59 am

:thumb: Thanks for saying what I could not quite articulate.

Return to “Kitesurfing”