Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The end of kiteboarding in Florida?

Forum for kitesurfers
dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

The end of kiteboarding in Florida?

Postby dylan* » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:40 pm

I just saw this news article: http://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/ ... -533817557

The gist of it is that as of July 1st, 2018, any beaches can now be enforced as private property. Nearly all beaches here in South Florida come with a city ordinance against riding on public beaches, but it is not a huge problem as you can walk off the public beach and rig your kite. Now, the condominiums will be able to kick you out. The only "public" part of the beach that will still exist is below the high tide line, which at most beaches (here at least) is not really enough room to launch a kite.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The end of kiteboarding in Florida?

Postby LiquidXtasy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:00 pm

This has nothing to do with kiteboarding. It means homeowners can kick anyone off their beachfront property. And if someone does, just launch your kite and get on the water. Problem solved

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:05 pm

LiquidXtasy wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:00 pm
This has nothing to do with kiteboarding. It means homeowners can kick anyone off their beachfront property. And if someone does, just launch your kite and get on the water. Problem solved
This is a bit short-sighted. Where will you put your kite when you're not riding? One beach here already has the area somewhat roped off with security guards that will (illegally) tell you to leave if you step across the boundary, no one rides there any more due to this. In my city there is nowhere to ride except in front of condos, and once they can enforce their property rights I think this will be the end of kiteboarding unless each city can designate a space for recreation (currently there is none).

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LiquidXtasy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:17 pm

dylan* wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:05 pm
This is a bit short-sighted. Where will you put your kite when you're not riding? One beach here already has the area somewhat roped off with security guards that will (illegally) tell you to leave if you step across the boundary, no one rides there any more due to this. In my city there is nowhere to ride except in front of condos, and once they can enforce their property rights I think this will be the end of kiteboarding unless each city can designate a space for recreation (currently there is none).
Find more stealthy ways to kite. Maybe pump your kite up at the shore line, or already have it pumped up before you walk on the beach. If anyone does call the cops you can be out in the water by the time they arrive. Or just set up your kite on 2 property lines, so when someone kicks you off their property just tell them you're not on their property, you're on the edge of the other property.

Problem solved! :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Where I come from and where I live, beaches are public. What's wrong if beaches are not?
Just go kite!!!

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Toby wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:15 pm
Where I come from and where I live, beaches are public. What's wrong if beaches are not?
Just go kite!!!
Because it will be considered private property, and they can tell kiters (or anyone else) to leave. Kiting on the public beach is illegal, and after July 1st kiting off of the private beaches will be trespassing.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby a99 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:45 pm

And its only just a few signs of usa degradation. Nation of free peope sounds as a big joke :) you are free not to allowed kite in public beaches, also in not public beaches, so where to kite there ? Country of biggest freedom as it's advertised this country in all the world :) Their government balancing every half year on shut down depending on one sign of the president :)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:08 pm

dylan* wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:04 pm
Toby wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:15 pm
Just go kite!!!
Because it will be considered private property, and they can tell kiters (or anyone else) to leave. Kiting on the public beach is illegal, and after July 1st kiting off of the private beaches will be trespassing.
my 2 cents: just leave that country and go where you can access any beach freely and kite where you want. I suggest Brazil. Much better life. You only have one.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Clew In » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:40 am

April One.....

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:43 am

Return to “Kitesurfing”