Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need info about Leucate

Forum for kitesurfers
micwi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken, Sweden, Fuseta Portugal
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 9/12 m, Drifter 2018 6,9m, Airush Union II 7m, Shinn Monk, Slingshot Angry Swallow, F-ONE ESL 5'8" 2018, Crazyfly Skim
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need info about Leucate

Postby micwi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:59 am

I'm planning to go to Leucate in April. I would like to know a bit more before I decide to go.
I read that the lagoon is mostly reserved for windsurfers and that Dosses seems to be closed for kitesurfers!?
I'm not to keen on kitesurfing on the ocean side with tramontane wind.
Any info where to best kitesurf in Leucate and surroundings is appreciated.
Also, I'm traveling with my camper van. so any recommendations which camping is best when kitesurfing.
Thanks
Michael

kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards

Re: Need info about Leucate

Postby kostantin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:25 am

Greetings

Never been in Leucate, but very often in south france.

Avoid in any case to sleep in the camper in Lyon area. It does not look like the bronx, but it is worse. Those guys dismount your wheels while the car is driving. I don't sleep in the camper on the highway. Never stop when someone is making signs to you from another car.

The last time I slept on the highway I found some one torching the inside of my car early in the morning. With whatever trick he opened my window. I have a wodden stick in my car named peacemaker. I am serious this guy had a hard time to sratch his balls for a long long time.

There are restorants beside the highway where the truckers stop. I sleep in this places. For dinner I can recommend " plate de your "
The more truckers the saver. With the help of google you should be able to create a roadmap upfront.

The traffic in Lyion is a nightmare and when the shops close and every one is moving out it is worse then a nightmare. Drive slow and stay calm :-)

Add gas in Lichtenstein. With a full tank it is easy to reach Leucate.

tks

Kosta

micwi
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 9/12 m, Drifter 2018 6,9m, Airush Union II 7m, Shinn Monk, Slingshot Angry Swallow, F-ONE ESL 5'8" 2018, Crazyfly Skim

Postby micwi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:39 am

Hi Kostantin,
Thanks for the warning about safety around Lyon. Guess it goes for other big cities and highways in the south of France!

shalyd
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leucate, Canet en Roussillon
Favorite Beaches: Canet en Roussillon
Style: freeride
Gear: cabrinha

Postby shalyd » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello, i am a local kiter at leucate, btw i dont get the point to speak about Lyon, it is quite far from Leucate, but yes you should avoid sleeping "on" the highway.

Dosses is now reopen for kiters but its not my favorite spot as it is not "sandy" but more "rocky", to find the best spots you can go to the dosses and from there you can see where are the other kiters.

Sorry i do not advertise about my favorite spot as it is my hidden gem ^^ But i found it looking far away kites from dosses spot.

Please notice that Tramontane is a gusty wind so put a smaller kite then what you think, Dosses was closed because of fatal accidents.

Also you have a big kite event named Mondial du Vent in April : http://www.mondialduvent.fr/ , can be great to ask around or meet some kiters.

Please note that there is no ocean side there but Mediterranean sea side ;)

Anymay Leucate is really a great spot to kite, kite safely and have fun !

micwi
Rare Poster

Postby micwi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi Shalyd,
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
My smallest kite is 6 meters, so I should be good up to 35 knots.
Yeah, I saw that there's a happening 17- 22 of April. Nice :D Hope it's not to crowded at the kite spots and camping places.
Michael

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:28 pm

Mate, Leucate is one of the best places in the world if you have the skill to deal with their gusty and strong wind.

So be sure you bring your smallest kites.

Also is a good option to bring a small and a big twinny, so you can swap if the wind goes up and down suddenly without put yourself in danger rigging a too big kite, and you still can take advantage of all shallow areas.

And don't worry too much about offshore kiting in ocean. Although you have plenty of lake areas with on-shore and side wind, still is safer to ride in the ocean offshore because you have the option of jiribg rescue boat.

And there are also plenty of camping areas.

So go to Leucate, you won't regret it :thumb:

micwi
Rare Poster

Postby micwi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi BOEMIX,
Thanks, sounds great.
I'm driving my camper van from Portugal to Sweden, and I'm only bringing my directionals back with me.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:04 pm

I forgot to add there also plenty of kiteshops and rentals if your gear don't suit the conditions.

Also you could ride your directionals finless if rails are sharp enough.

shalyd
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leucate, Canet en Roussillon
Favorite Beaches: Canet en Roussillon
Style: freeride
Gear: cabrinha

Postby shalyd » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:15 am

On offshore winds, you can go to La Franqui not far from Leucate and pay for a safety pass so they will rescue you in need, good kiters like it because it can be flat or as i always do go to Leucate land side ( inside "lake" or "pond" ).

One of the main advantage of Leucate is that you can ride inside lands on offshore winds ( dominant wind ), or go ot the Mediterrean Sea side on onshore winds ( mainly in summer or thermal winds ), please stop calling it the ocean side, ocean is on the other side of France here it is a sea ! :) ( no tide here )

The drawback in Leucate is that it is not so good for beginners as the wind is often strong and gusty but often you still have moderate and good conditions !

And yes in leucate you have some good shops to ask advices and maybe renting if you need.

trickcoach
Medium Poster
Style: Unhooked
Gear: Switchkites Legacy

Postby trickcoach » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:36 pm

this is what we do in Leucate these days ...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4525910246

Return to “Kitesurfing”